Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Congrats To Martin McGannon! (YHFD X2531)

10 posts in this topic

I would just like to reconize the outgoing Chief of the Yorktown Heights Fire Department, Martin Mcgannon, for his many years of service as Chief to the department. During his tenure, he made numerous accomplishments and improvements to the Yorktown Heights FD, including switching back to the color red, spec'ing and purchasing a new Ladder, Rescue, FAST Engine, and first due Engine, building the dive team from one trailer into a full water rescue team, giving strong support to the Explorer post, and many other accomplishments too numerous to list.

I've known Martin both personally and professionally for over 10 years, and he is one of the nicest and most genuine people I know. I hope that he enjoys his "retirement" as Chief.

Congrats to all the new officers, and I hope all will lead by the example set by Chief Mcgannon.

post-11-0-95919000-1303239802.jpg

The biggest, most progressive accomplishment IMO, was done just before his departure as Chief. New apparatus and returning to red are all nice and dandy, but firefighter safety is a much more important aspect of the job.

He approved and signed off on new box alarms, developed by the officers and firefighters, which included that on the initial report of a structure fire, the FAST department that is assigned to the box, rolls with the first due. The 10-75 does not have to be transmitted for them to be dispatched. Hopefully this will drastically reduce the time it takes for us to get the guys who are there to save our rears when the sh*t hits the fan to the scene.

Congrats Chief, you might be our senior firefighter now, but you're going to have to move faster then us younger guys though to get that knob or can.

Congrats on the retirement and best of luck to you!

Stay Safe

Seth,

I want to thank you and everyone else for the kind words and best wishes. The accomplishments you credit me for achieving was a team effort. I have had some of the best officers that any chief can ask for, and this goes for the guys who aren’t even around anymore. When I was sworn in as assistant chief in 1996 I had set goal for myself and the officers and I set goal for our dept. I am proud to say 95% have been achieved and the other 5% are well on the way. As someone once said to me “leadership qualities are something you are born with” well I disagree with that statement. A true leader looks to learn, listen and educate others every day even when he or she is no longer the leader. Ralph Nader said it best, "The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers."

Thank you again, but make no mistake about it I maybe an EX or Past Chief but I will always look out for Yorktown and the fire service best interest.

Past Chief McGannon

firedude, x635, IFCO3080 and 2 others like this

Marty - Good bye and good riddance it's about time! Just kidding you my friend, you will be missed. Congrats on a great job!