Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Hoods...looking for a thin model?

9 posts in this topic

I need to upgrade my hood, been wearing one of the vented top Morning Pride's for a long time...and by wearuing I mean mostly kept around my neck...

I have been very good the past year or so about deploying it as it should be and find the seam digs into my forehead when I put my New Yorker on..after extended periods of time, it gives me a headache.

Is anyone aware of a THIN layered hood out there? Brands and model names, or links would be great.

I would say that since you wear it around your neck try a sporting good's store, they are pretty cheap there. Since based on what you said why spend a lot of money on one used for firefighting?

The hoods my fd gives us are from Fire-End, their nomex, and I would say they are reasonably thin. the hood I use is made by american fire apparel, is vented and is made out of pbi. its thicker than the nomex hoods, but it has a larger yoke, which I like because the yoke on the nomex hood would sometimes come out of my jacket. I also found a small burn hole in the nomex hood, which was my second reason for getting a new hood.

I would say that since you wear it around your neck try a sporting good's store, they are pretty cheap there. Since based on what you said why spend a lot of money on one used for firefighting?

Nahh...like I said above, I wear it now...correctly.

Try the thin Morning Pride hood that has the Ventilation on the top. It's a bib style hood.

I Prefer the thin hood myself so i can monitor the heat since the rest of our gear these day's is so good you can crawl into trouble real easy.

The only way you are going to get a thinner hood is to seek out a single layer hood. Most hoods have a double layer hood and bib. Not only will it be thinner and offer less protection but it will be less expensive. Also I think seeking a single layer hood that is Pbi/Lenzing blend will be a best bet. This will be thinner and offer better protection than Nomex. Also depending on which Carbon material you find those hoods in a single layer would be very thin also. When I say thin I am talking in comparison to the Morning Pride (American Firewear) vented Pbi blend double layer hood that I wear.

Try the thin Morning Pride hood that has the Ventilation on the top. It's a bib style hood.

I Prefer the thin hood myself so i can monitor the heat since the rest of our gear these day's is so good you can crawl into trouble real easy.

I hear complaints in general about the vented hoods putting too much pressure on the seam between the vent and the hood from the helmet. Any experience with this?

I was onced issued the hood mentioned above and after a several uncomfortable experiences went right back to my regular nomex. If you want to try it...I beleive they addressed the seam issue you speak of. I only had that occur once and I adjusted the hood quickly so the seam sat in a different spot.

Also in all the years I've worn a hood..I've never had a problem with a double. The hood is completely different then the make up of your turnout gear and is the first thing that gets saturated with heat...and you can tell when its getting too hot with the hood on. When you feel like your hood is not even there anymore...time to turn around very quickly. You have several other methods and techniques to know when its far enough. Losing a layer of skin or having gnarled ears for the rest of my life aren't an option for this pretty face. There isn't one case I know of that a death was contributed to the use of a hood.