Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Sprain Lake Resevoir In Yonkers As A Recreational Venue

10 posts in this topic

I actually think this is a pretty good idea. When I lived in Westcheser, there were very few places close by to kayak. Where I live in Texas, there are like 20 places within 20 minutes.

From the Town Of Greenburgh Email List:

WOULD OPENING OF SPRAIN LAKE FOR BOATERS ON THE BORDER OF HASTINGS/YONKERS/GREENBURGH GENERATE NEEDED REVENUE FOR WESTCHESTER COUNTY?

WOULD OPENING OF SPRAIN LAKE FOR BOATERS INCREASE PROPERTY VALUES?

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Every time I drive past Sprain Lake (on the border of Hastings/Yonkers/Greenburgh) I think about missed opportunities. If Westchester would be more fun- property values would increase and more people would want to live here. A more fun county would help local governments attract high quality businesses to our communities.

Westchester County should authorize boaters to launch boats on Sprain Lake for recreational purposes. There are possible launching areas at the lake that would not interfere with golfers who enjoy golfing at Sprain Lake Golf Course. Currently, the only other lower Westchester County place to row is on Glen Island and the course is almost full to capacity. The NYAC, Pelham Community Rowing Assoc, Iona College, Pelham H.S., Riverdale H.S. and various other individuals are all using this site. It is essential that another site be opened for these booming water sport. Rowing and kayaking provide a tremendous opportunity for H.S. kids to participate in lifetime a sport, and may even help them acquire college scholarships. It would be great for the Greenburgh and Yonkers High Schools to be able to start programs for their students.

There has also been an incredible surge in Masters rowing programs. Many are returning to the sport they loved in college, and many more first time rowers are experiencing the joy of being on the water and improving their health through the great cardiovascular benefits of rowing.

Photos have been submitted to the county re: possible launch sites for boats.. These site are at the northern end of the golf course and do not in any way interfere with the golfers. There is also plenty of land that would be suitable to erect a temporary fenced in area to store boats for a trial use of the water. If all goes well and the community embraces the use of the lake, a permanent structure could be built for the storage of the boats.

There are several colleges in the area that are also looking for a better site to row. They may be able to assist with the installation of the fenced in area and help provide equipment for the high school programs to use to get started. This could be a revenue generator for the county. We have an asset that is not being taken advantage of by Westchester residents. We can enhance the quality of life for many people if we open up the lake to boating.

I would welcome your feedback. What do you think? If Westchester County would allow non power driven boats to use the Sprain would it increase YOUR property values? Would it encourage more people to want to move to neighborhoods on the Yonkers/Greenburgh border? What are the downsides?

I am writing to the County Executive, Rob Astorino, to members of the Board of Legislators and to Larry Gottlieb, office of Economic Development asking them to reconsider the county's rejection of this initiative. I am also planning to reach out to realtors and will solicit thier feedback re: what this suggestion would do for property values. Your thoughts welcome: e mail me at pfeiner@greenburghny.com.

Paul Feiner

Greenburgh Town Supervisor

Read EPA 5.11: Monitoring and Assessment: Fecal Bacteria, then ask the county for the results of the fecal coliform analysis of this Reservoir dating back several years. You will then have your answer why I would never, ever, ever entertain the idea of recreating in any of the county streams, ponds, lakes, rivers or other bodies of water with limited volume or limited outflow, especially if it is near golf courses or birds/ducks/geese of any kind not owned and maintained by the State/City of NY.

I take it he failed to notice the eutrophic algae blooms year to year....

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

If we all had that pesimistic view on the enviroment, where would we be? I'm just going to spray aerosol cans into the air, the Ozone layer is screwed up anyway. All joking aside, there are many natural ways to clean up this resevoir and make it a healthy body of water. It may take some time, but in the end, it would be worth it. You not only could kayak, but I'm sure swimming, scuba diving, fishing, and other water activities would be just as handy for local residents as the bike trail. And as a water training venue for local agencies. Sure, it's drinking water, but so are a lot of other lakes recreational lakes nationwide.

I know some will claim "the moneys not there", but if people really want it, grants are and can be found for this specific purpose. Also, if the County or the city of Yonkers could make money off the deal, I'm sure they'd be happy.

If we all had that pesimistic view on the enviroment, where would we be? I'm just going to spray aerosol cans into the air, the Ozone layer is screwed up anyway. All joking aside, there are many natural ways to clean up this resevoir and make it a healthy body of water. It may take some time, but in the end, it would be worth it. You not only could kayak, but I'm sure swimming, scuba diving, fishing, and other water activities would be just as handy for local residents as the bike trail. And as a water training venue for local agencies. Sure, it's drinking water, but so are a lot of other lakes recreational lakes nationwide.

I know some will claim "the moneys not there", but if people really want it, grants are and can be found for this specific purpose. Also, if the County or the city of Yonkers could make money off the deal, I'm sure they'd be happy.

Cleaning it up to make it a healthy body of water is a major effort and expense. Just ask Onondaga County about their lake!

This is a small reservoir bounded almost entirely by the Sprain Brook Parkway with no scenic landscapes or other "draws" to bring people in to spend money. Swimming and scuba diving? Come on - it's cold, murky, stagnant water. Yuck! Who wants to dive in that?

As for the money issue, grants are almost assuredly tax dollars just allocated from a bigger pot of money so it's still a drain on our economy. Considering they're closing clean, chlorinated pools in the County due to $$$, I doubt this is going to get much traction.

This is typical Paul Feiner being,......well......Paul Feiner.

Put this on your "things to do" list right after the consolidation of the fire departments serving the non-incorporated areas of Greenburgh.

Seth, I think you misunderstood his post. He's not saying forget about the Reservoir, he's saying there just isn't enough flow to make that a healthy body of water. Between all the migratory and year round irds using it. Plus the massive fertilizer load courtesy of the golf course that thing is going to stay nasty. Either pipe in another water source or spend millions, completely restore it, and remove the golf course.

But then again...

This is a small reservoir bounded almost entirely by the Sprain Brook Parkway with no scenic landscapes or other "draws" to bring people in to spend money. Swimming and scuba diving? Come on - it's cold, murky, stagnant water. Yuck! Who wants to dive in that?

The same guy that spent Greenburgh's money fighting Ridgehill and Stew Leonards now wants Wally World . I guess that traffic is OK.

batt2 likes this

Seth, I think you misunderstood his post. He's not saying forget about the Reservoir, he's saying there just isn't enough flow to make that a healthy body of water. Between all the migratory and year round irds using it. Plus the massive fertilizer load courtesy of the golf course that thing is going to stay nasty. Either pipe in another water source or spend millions, completely restore it, and remove the golf course.

But then again...

Yes thanks for clearing that up...yes it is possible to go ON it for recreation, but never IN it. That being said, you end up getting wet when you are on the water, with the reservoir having as bad fecal coliform as it does, any of that water getting into you is going to be bad. The geese live on/near the golf course, so anything they excrete goes into the lake giving you the fecal bacteria then the golf course fertilizes to look all green and nice essentially giving those bacteria a shot of straight steroids...end result, a lake I wouldn't walk around or look at let alone recreate it. They are better off just not doing anything. It is Yonkers drinking water and it needs to be filtered before they can drink it.

Ahhh how fun and oh the breath taking views of passing traffic...there are even nicer places that might generate revenue that could be used for recreation that are sitting with locked fences around them...or right in existing county parks as it is. I don't see that being a big draw..and exactly how would it raise property values? Its already there and it doesn't...

BIG BASS IN THAT WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(so I "heard".......lol)