Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sfrd18

Westchester County 10-Codes

17 posts in this topic

I know the subject of 10-Codes in many Westchester cities, such as Mount Vernon and Yonkers has come up from time to time in the forums, but I was wondering, if anyone can provide a complete listing of 10-Codes used by Westchester cities, towns, and villages, the differences between them(i.e., what one code means in Mt. Vernon might mean something else in Yonkers), and which codes and how many codes are actually used daily throughout the county. I think it would be interesting to know what departments actually use ten-codes and how many do. 10-75, for example, is used by many departments in the county as the 10-code for a Working Fire(Like the FDNY).

If anyone has any information or 10-code listings, it will be greatly appreciated.

60-control has zero 10-codes, as they moved to plain english years ago. However, 10-22 was technically the county assigned code for structure fire, and the 10-75 was a first alarm assignment / working fire. Type in westchester county 10-codes into google and you get a lot of hits for what they used to use.

I know the subject of 10-Codes in many Westchester cities, such as Mount Vernon and Yonkers has come up from time to time in the forums, but I was wondering, if anyone can provide a complete listing of 10-Codes used by Westchester cities, towns, and villages, the differences between them(i.e., what one code means in Mt. Vernon might mean something else in Yonkers), and which codes and how many codes are actually used daily throughout the county. I think it would be interesting to know what departments actually use ten-codes and how many do. 10-75, for example, is used by many departments in the county as the 10-code for a Working Fire(Like the FDNY).

If anyone has any information or 10-code listings, it will be greatly appreciated.

I believe that the 10 code for a working fire in Westchester is 10-22. I don't know about Yonkers for MV or WP, but the county shows it as 10-22. 10-75 seems to have been adopted for whatever reason. Sounds better? I'm not really certain what the reason for the addition of that code was, or why that code was chosen. Does it, technically, have a different meaning than 10-22?

Ten-codes are being replaced with plain English communication in many areas, and have already begun being phased out to eliminate confusion, partially because they are not standardized across a majority of departments.

Ten-codes are being replaced with plain English communication in many areas, and have already begun being phased out to eliminate confusion, partially because they are not standardized across a majority of departments.

NR still uses 10 codes and the county answers us in engish, sometimes they answer correctly and sometimes they do not. Plain english can be just as confusing as a 10 code when you do not understand what the meaning is.

we use 10-20 to indicate a NON-Emergency response. Often the 1st due will advise incoming units to 10-20 to reduce risk. 50% of the time 60 Control responds with 10-4 all units respond non-emergency mode and the other 50% they advise all units to "Respond with caution".

Our policy is to always respond with caution, so there is no reason to state it and it is not the instruction given to dispatch for relay.

PFDRes47cue likes this

Another 10 Code issue we found is the "key" words for CAD to indicate a working fire are problomatic.

We use "working fire" to indicate the need to dispatch (if not already on the road) the 3rd engine, FAST, an Ambulance, Safety and relocation of units.

We use "10-75" to indicate this.

We have tried to get away from it and go with "plain english" and the results were:

We have "smoke showing", or "Heavy fire from the roof" or stretching a line or some other discription, but since no one said the majic words "Working Fire" we did not get the additional resources that are listed that we get when we say "10-75"

Thanks for the info guys.

It seems that more and more departments are switching over the plain english these days, and in agreement with Bnechis, plain english can be just as confusing as 10-codes or signals. A plus for 10-codes is that each code means one specific thing, or if it needs to be more specific, 10-codes, such as the FDNY's, can have sub-codes(i.e., a 10-25(FDNY) means a manhole or transformer vault fire, however a 10-25-Code 1 means that the fire has extended to the exposure building). So, basically, both 10-codes and plain english have their pros and cons.

From what I gather, here are some 10-codes used in Westchester. Some many be a little off, and more than the departments listed may use each 10-code.

10-4(Affirmitive/Message Received) - Used by many county FD's.

10-8(In Service) - New Rochelle and Mount Vernon FD's.

10-20(Non-Emergency Priority Response) - New Rochelle FD.

10-22(Structure Fire/Working Fire) - Designated County Code.

10-26(Working Fire) - Mount Vernon FD.

10-29(Working Fire) - Yonkers FD.

10-30(All-Hands) - Yonkers FD.

10-75(Working Fire) - Used by many county FD's.

10-84(Arrival at the Box/Incident) - Yonkers and Mount Vernon FD's.

Edited by sfrd18

NR still uses 10 codes and the county answers us in engish, sometimes they answer correctly and sometimes they do not. Plain english can be just as confusing as a 10 code when you do not understand what the meaning is.

we use 10-20 to indicate a NON-Emergency response. Often the 1st due will advise incoming units to 10-20 to reduce risk. 50% of the time 60 Control responds with 10-4 all units respond non-emergency mode and the other 50% they advise all units to "Respond with caution".

Our policy is to always respond with caution, so there is no reason to state it and it is not the instruction given to dispatch for relay.

If this is a problem, have you suggested using plain English on the radio to your superiors? The defunct definition of "10-20" in Westchester County is "respond with caution." If you want operators who are no longer trained to use ten-codes to advise your units to "respond non-emergency," perhaps you should tell them exactly that.

Another 10 Code issue we found is the "key" words for CAD to indicate a working fire are problomatic.

We use "working fire" to indicate the need to dispatch (if not already on the road) the 3rd engine, FAST, an Ambulance, Safety and relocation of units.

We use "10-75" to indicate this.

We have tried to get away from it and go with "plain english" and the results were:

We have "smoke showing", or "Heavy fire from the roof" or stretching a line or some other discription, but since no one said the majic words "Working Fire" we did not get the additional resources that are listed that we get when we say "10-75"

In my experience with 60 Control, using the words, "working fire" or "10-75" will prompt the operator to upgrade the incident to the predetermined first alarm assignment, if one exists, in the CAD. It seems as simple as using a couple of magic words after the initial size up.

1075thebox likes this

If this is a problem, have you suggested using plain English on the radio to your superiors? The defunct definition of "10-20" in Westchester County is "respond with caution." If you want operators who are no longer trained to use ten-codes to advise your units to "respond non-emergency," perhaps you should tell them exactly that.

In my experience with 60 Control, using the words, "working fire" or "10-75" will prompt the operator to upgrade the incident to the predetermined first alarm assignment, if one exists, in the CAD. It seems as simple as using a couple of magic words after the initial size up.

Agreed. We train our officers, when slowing companies down, to use: "Respond non-emergency;" and when calling 60 Control for mutual aid: "Dispatch our Working Fire Assignment." We do not use any 10-codes.

If this is a problem, have you suggested using plain English on the radio to your superiors?

You missed my point. When we have used "plain ennglish" we still do not get to correct response.

The defunct definition of "10-20" in Westchester County is "respond with caution." If you want operators who are no longer trained to use ten-codes to advise your units to "respond non-emergency," perhaps you should tell them exactly that.

We never used the "Westchester 10 code. We always had our own and 60 control agreed to use ours when we switched to them 20 years ago.

True, but if the initial size up describes a working fire, but not the words "working fire" then you get nothing. We have found it much easier to get our personnel to routinly say "10-75"

Maybe its just me, or maybe its an entire human factors Pavlov's Dogs thing going on, but when the scanner is down low, and you can barely hear anything, the moment a 10-75 is transmitted in the county, everyone who's listening hears it, no matter how soft its transmitted. "Dispatch the working fire assignment," while effective, just doesn't catch the attention of those listening as the words "10-75," at least in my observations.

Through my discussions with guys at 60, and hopefully they can chime in, just saying that you have a working fire, does not mean you're going to get your first alarm assignment. Plenty of times I've heard units sign "on-location with a working fire," and the dispatcher then prompts the unit if they want their 10-75 assignment, which is normally followed by a "yes." It is my understanding that you must say "Transmit my 10-75 (or working fire ASSIGNMENT)" in order to receive it. You can pull up on location, declare a working fire in a detached garage or shed and not need the assistance of any other companies. The biggest thing that might help the dispatchers (and other companies listening) in determining what you have is your size up, which is almost never called out in this county, but that is a entirely different topic for another day.

PEMO3 likes this

Thanks for the info guys.

It seems that more and more departments are switching over the plain english these days, and in agreement with Bnechis, plain english can be just as confusing as 10-codes or signals. A plus for 10-codes is that each code means one specific thing, or if it needs to be more specific, 10-codes, such as the FDNY's, can have sub-codes(i.e., a 10-25(FDNY) means a manhole or transformer vault fire, however a 10-25-Code 1 means that the fire has extended to the exposure building). So, basically, both 10-codes and plain english have their pros and cons.

From what I gather, here are some 10-codes used in Westchester. Some many be a little off, and more than the departments listed may use each 10-code.

10-4(Affirmitive/Message Received) - Used by many county FD's.

10-8(In Service) - New Rochelle and Mount Vernon FD's.

10-20(Non-Emergency Priority Response) - New Rochelle FD.

10-22(Structure Fire/Working Fire) - Designated County Code.

10-26(Working Fire) - Mount Vernon FD.

10-29(Working Fire) - Yonkers FD.

10-30(All-Hands) - Yonkers FD.

10-75(Working Fire) - Used by many county FD's.

10-84(Arrival at the Box/Incident) - Yonkers and Mount Vernon FD's.

Just heard FDMV reporting a 10-37 and a 10-50. For FDNY, a 10-37 is "Assist Civilian" and there is no 10-50. Does anyone know what these two codes mean in Mt. Vernon? Also, what's a 10-36 in Mt. Vernon.

Edited by sfrd18

You missed my point. When we have used "plain ennglish" we still do not get to correct response.

We never used the "Westchester 10 code. We always had our own and 60 control agreed to use ours when we switched to them 20 years ago.

True, but if the initial size up describes a working fire, but not the words "working fire" then you get nothing. We have found it much easier to get our personnel to routinly say "10-75"

Captain, Sounds Like New Rochelle Is NOT Happy With 60-Control's Dispatchers, Perhaps A Refresher Course In FDNR SOP Is Overdue :-(

I believe NIMS says to use "Common terminology" as opposed to "Plain English"/"Plain language."

They are entirely different. You must be using NIMS if you want to communicate with the feds and use their resouces and get some money after a disaster. This is especially important for the Southern Westchester Special Operations Task Force for example. Just look at the postings above to see how Westchester's Communications is a fiasco. Look at how many posters showed how they are contributing to the fiasco and blame it on the other guy.

Maybe NRFD needs training in first-on-scene reporting and how important it is to use those key words like "Working Fire." Maybe 60-Control could use a little training on clarifying what messages mean by asking questions. Try a radio conversation like the following as an example:

"E-1 to Dispatch, On-scene and we got trouble. It's blowing out on the first floor. We're pulling a deuce and a half."

"Dispatch to E-1, are you declaring this Working Fire?"

(E-1) "10-4"

"Dispatch receives...Working Fire."

I think everybody understood what E-1 had even though it was poor procedure. (But it was better than conflicting 10 Codes)

Time to stop defending your system, guys, it doesn't work. It's time to get in step with the rest of the country.

jack10562 likes this