Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LineCapt

Hudson River boaters plan protest, say marine units overdo safety checks

72 posts in this topic

once again you contradict yourself in a post. You complain about too many jursidictions on the water but then you speak of team work, once again I just don't get it.... or understand it.

Incidentally, yes you can be stopped on the thruway by the jurisdiction that you are currently driving through, and the MTA does not have federal jurisdiction, they have multi state (connecticut and New York) but not federal.

ok so you say,but if i drive down rt 87 can i be pulled over by every police dept along side rt 87 lets say nyack tarrytown irvington greenburgh dobbsferry ardsly hastings elmsford yonkers heck lets get the mta out there thay have federal jurisdiction,thats whats going on out on the hudson ,and good old chuck schumer will take care of it,its a free for all out ther cmon guys,leave it to the wcpd and rcsd state and the coast gaurd ,this is what happens when every dept wants a boat and do a job thats being done good already,team work dont forget that,

You forgot the NYC DEP that also has jurisdiction in Westchester County. And just for the record, neither Elmsford, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry, or Hastings have jurisdiction on I-87.

What's your gripe? Have you been stopped on your boat on the Hudson or are you just generally anti-law enforcement?

Every department isn't trying to get a boat. There's a small number of department's that have made the commitment to the river and staff a boat. Every department couldn't do it anyway as the jurisdiction of some municipalities doesn't extend beyond the water or shoreline.

As for a job that's "being done good already", what are you referring to? And what team are you reminding us of?

And please, for all of us that are actually trying to decipher your posts. Try to use the "SHIFT" button and a period once in a while. It is very difficult understanding your point when you type as you do.

FFEMT150 and Just a guy like this

I agree that getting stopped four times in one trip up the river is problematic but the same thing could happen on the highway too.

Interesting point about using technology for the safety inspections but we're not talking about a mechanical inspection as with a vehicle, are we? Let's say that my boat is inspected while being operated by me, a properly trained and licensed boater, two weeks ago and all the safety equipment for me, my wife, and one son is aboard. Today I lend the boat to my friend so he can take his family boating. He, his wife, his mother-in-law, uncle, and five kids all go out with a cooler full of beer but only with my three PFDs.

If the PD scanned the boat and it was inspected two weeks ago, what bearing would that have on the way it is being operated today?

If my friend wrecks my boat and kills his family, don't you think there would be a firestorm when it was learned that because it was checked two weeks ago it was ignored today because it was inspected two weeks ago?

I see your point, but it sounds more like the " what if " game.. we all can second guess everything to death... Its is the sad state of the world we live in today, if something happens, it is always someone elses fault... never the person behind the wheel ...

The example you use, in my book, would be your fault for allowing a friend to use your boat, past its capablities... plus fault should be on the operator for not making sure the boat was safe for his party... NOT the local PD who checked the boat out the week before, when your family was using it... by using this train of thought, every PD agency should check a boat everytime it leaves the dock, as all the elements can change... I do see your point, heli., but there needs to be a happy middle point here...

Remember585 likes this

I see your point, but it sounds more like the " what if " game.. we all can second guess everything to death... Its is the sad state of the world we live in today, if something happens, it is always someone elses fault... never the person behind the wheel ...

The example you use, in my book, would be your fault for allowing a friend to use your boat, past its capablities... plus fault should be on the operator for not making sure the boat was safe for his party... NOT the local PD who checked the boat out the week before, when your family was using it... by using this train of thought, every PD agency should check a boat everytime it leaves the dock, as all the elements can change... I do see your point, heli., but there needs to be a happy middle point here...

You're absolutely right. I was using an absurd and extreme example to highlight the point that technology can't replace judgment.

Just a guy likes this

ok so you say,but if i drive down rt 87 can i be pulled over by every police dept along side rt 87 lets say nyack tarrytown irvington greenburgh dobbsferry ardsly hastings elmsford yonkers heck lets get the mta out there thay have federal jurisdiction,thats whats going on out on the hudson ,and good old chuck schumer will take care of it,its a free for all out ther cmon guys,leave it to the wcpd and rcsd state and the coast gaurd ,this is what happens when every dept wants a boat and do a job thats being done good already,team work dont forget that,

What the hell are you trying to say????

English man....

JohnnyOV and x129K like this

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My recommendation for the complaining boaters, don't use your boat, go camping instead.

I wish I could spend $200+ dollars a day on fuel for a boat, I say lets get these complaining boaters to pay for our taxes, they most likely have money to spare.

Good for the Marine Units, they are cracking down on excessive speeders, reckless boating, underage consumption and over the limit alcohol consumption of boaters.

No one is complaining about stopping reckless boaters. Any sign of unsafe operation should be investigated by PD. Myself and other responsible boaters are sick of the multiple safety checks and boat inspections.

My recommendation for the complaining boaters, don't use your boat, go camping instead.

You can't be serious.

No one is complaining about stopping reckless boaters. Any sign of unsafe operation should be investigated by PD. Myself and other responsible boaters are sick of the multiple safety checks and boat inspections.

Wouldn't a simple and inexpensive alternative be to have a form that is completed by the officials doing the checks which can be presented to any other agencies who stop the vessel that day. Let the form be good for 24 hours. Boat is checked once and the next time it's approached by LEO's then present the form and continue under way.

If you're on your game and the officer is readonable, the actual inspection takes 2 minutes. The issue is the time it takes for the entire procedure. Sure its only 10 minutes but its the repeated stops. Imagine a seatbelt check point in every community along 9A. Is it a bad idea, not really but its annoying and doesn't really address the issue. If you want to do safety checks all day, get boats as they leave the Marinas. There's a no tech way to reduce the number of redundant stops.