Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

Check your construction - know your district

6 posts in this topic

While I was driving through Armonk the other day, I noticed a building that was under construction on their main business strip. Being the closet buff I am, I figured I'd share what I found. If construction continues with this route, make sure your department knows that venting these fake dormers, will provide ZERO ventilation for the building. These are here for aesthetic purposes only. Feel free to share with anyone.

edit: More then likely, if windows are installed on these, they will be inoperable ones, with no sliding glass. That hint could point to a fake dormer as well.

post-172-0-50537800-1311609551.jpg

Edited by JohnnyOV
abaduck, FDNY 10-75, x129K and 1 other like this

They serve no purpose whatever and can complicate our job; isn't there some mileage in trying to get such fake structures outlawed by code? Has that actually been done anywhere to anyones knowledge?

Mike

In every class that I am part of either as a lead or helper I state the following:

Your fire depratments arent that big--- you should have a very good idea of the type of construction in your response areas. Carry a camera and take pictures of any construction that you see in your town. Put the pictures on a power point and throw them on a screen in the station for a drill and just talk about how things are build and how they might react if there is a fire in them.

It is always good to see the building as they go up before they cover up any thing.

JohnnyOV and 16fire5 like this

Citation: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4707222058_cd38a9e035.jpg

BHFD members can fill in the gaps/corrections and provide some construction pictures but if I remember from the construction, essentially everything from the bottom of the dormer windows and above is a false roof. There is actually another roof above the one visible and is built with a truss construction. Mind you this is an entire strip mall, home to a Panera Bread, Shopright, a liquor store, Marshalls shoe, deli, nail salon, etc etc with a false roof, providing from what I could tell at the time, the mother of all void spaces.

post-3705-0-77326500-1311639865.jpg

Edited by SRS131EMTFF
x129K and JohnnyOV like this

Here is a pic i just refound that I took years ago. This was a vacant bowstring truss commercial that the owner renovated. To look at it today, you can not tell from the street that is is a truss roof.

I have to find more pics, I have them somewhere.

It is located opposite our station.

The second pic is how it looks now - taken from google earth street view with my cell phone...

post-2837-0-06717300-1312851756.jpg

post-2837-0-33898000-1312851762.jpg