8 posts in this topic

Congratulations to The New Haven 20!

From the New Haven Register.

Update: New Haven firefighters get $2 million in bias case

Published: Thursday, July 28, 2011

By Abbe Smith, Register Staff

asmith@nhregister.com / Twitter: @abbegsmith

Updated: July 28, 1:25 p.m.

NEW HAVEN – The 20 firefighters who took their reverse discrimination case all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court and won were awarded $2 million in damages from a settlement reached this week.

The city of New Haven will pay the firefighters $2 million and an additional $3 million for their attorney fees. The settlement also awards the firefighters three years of pension credit.

http://nhregister.com/articles/2011/07/28/news/new_haven/doc4e31811a50508474206087.txt

sfrd18, efdcapt115, Danger and 5 others like this

Congrats go out to the New Haven 20,finally closure for them and their familys! Politicians should look at this case as well as those taxpayers who will be responsible for the cost. Because of corruption in New Haven in city hall this all took place. Reminds me of a city locally! Time will tell.

KFIYL2000 and IzzyEng4 like this

The sad thing is that the guys who were denied promotion received 2 million and the lawyers got 3 million. Whats wrong with this picture?

Trying a case in front of the US Supreme Court and other expenses associated with this case do not come cheap either.

ny10570 likes this

This is a totally different suit from the New Haven 20's. This suit was filed after or just prior to the New Haven 20 won there lawsuit because New Haven halted the promotional process and would not promote anyone off that list. I believe this person was the one who did not join NH20's suit despite passing the same exam and was denied a promotion after their ruling.

Okay. I didn't know that there were two suits filed. I thought it had to do with the New Haven 20 suit.

If you read this article, its pretty clear this is a separate case, which was denied in April of 2010. But the way Firehouse posts their news it can be confusing to the reader.

Better off sticking to the CT news outlets for this one.