Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

9/11 Profiteering?

7 posts in this topic

As the 10th anniversary of 9-11 grows closers, I'm noticing more and more products being marketed to commemerate the event. A lot of these companies claim that "some proceeds go to whatever charity", but in most cases, I don't believe it. Is this really respectful?

IMO, I don't think that merchandise needs to be sold in the first place. I don't think that they are being sold for the right reasons, and I think that a lot of people are using the event to make money for themselves.

As the 10th anniversary of 9-11 grows closers, I'm noticing more and more products being marketed to commemerate the event. A lot of these companies claim that "some proceeds go to whatever charity", but in most cases, I don't believe it. Is this really respectful?

IMO, I don't think that merchandise needs to be sold in the first place. I don't think that they are being sold for the right reasons, and I think that a lot of people are using the event to make money for themselves.

Odds are that most of the buyers will be us - first responders.

Of course people are using the event for their own gains. The same is true of the Haiti earthquake, Hurricane Katrina, and the Japan earthquake and tsunami. Some people will always try to make a buck at the expense of someone else.

I remember when they finally started opening the streets near Ground Zero... first thing that happened, all along Vesey & Fulton, outside St. Pauls... street vendors selling photos, books, all kinds of '9/11 souvenirs'.

That's when I knew how Jesus felt when he threw the money changers out of the temple.

Mike

I was about to say, but abaduck took the words right out of my mouth. People have been trying to make a buck off this since the days after it happened. I can remember walking down 34th street a few weeks later watching people hawking shirts that said "I Survived the World Trade Center". I remember seeing people with Ground Zero hats in the months that followed. About two and a half years later, I finally made my way down there, at the request of a friend who was visitng from out of town. I must have counted at least 5 people who were selling souveneir pictures, such as the buildings collapsing, or the second plane hitting. So, believe me, I'm not surprised at all.

Ya I know it is a funny little comic but it represents a bigger issue. How many things do you see everyday that are 9/11 related for sale? The magazines, magnets, stickers, pins, shirts, patches, etc.. The list goes on forever. But you think any of these companies really are giving to the funds? Nope. They use a tragedy as a way to make more money. Guys are dying from illnesses that come from working down there. They get nothing but a "hey that sucks". Most people really have forgotten. It is nothing to them anymore. They were all flag waving and ready to pitch in 10 years ago. But now they are all numb to it. Sure the big 10 year anniversary is coming. BFD. Where were they for the 7th, the 4th, etc.? I guess these people just will never know what we, as emergency personnel, had to go through. Some people were down there, some people were back protecting the home turf. Some did Fill the Boot others had spaghetti dinners. I think we should stop buying this crap and just go on and remember them the right way, by getting on the rigs and keep pressing on. I miss the people who are gone and I am sure you all do to.

God bless and stay safe out there

grumpyff likes this