Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dragonrescue

33rd Annivesary of the Waldbaum's Fire (B'klyn, NY)

4 posts in this topic

Today marks the 33rd anniversary of the Waldbaum's fire in Brooklyn, NY where 6 firefighters perished, when a bowstring truss roof collapsed, sending all to their fiery death. I remember this day like it was yesterday. My dad, Tony Dragonetti, was assigned to E-254 and worked the 9x6 tour. He was walking into the firehouse as 254 & 153 were pulling out onto Avenue U. He would have been on the roof in place of Terry Cambell who was badly burned. I was 14 and remember waking up to my mom's screams, when she heard the news of the fire on the radio. We took a ride to the scene from LI and found my dad sitting on the back of 254's rig in tears. I never saw my dad cry and my mom hug my dad like the way she did at that moment. I still well up with tears when I think about that scene. It was a sigh of relief for me to see my dad safe and extremely sad at the same time to hear him say the names of the guys that perished. I spent my entire childhood life and beyond at the firehouse and these brave men were my family and will always have a place in my heart. May they be remembered forever and RIP......

x129K, Bnechis, x635 and 10 others like this

Your story gave me chills.

Another thing about true firemen....they just don't forget.

God Bless.

RIP

Your reflection reminds us all to always be thankful for those who "make it" and those who make the supreme sacrifice. I'm glad your father was OK, but I'm sure he was a changed man as were many. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts in your very well written piece. +1