Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Calling an Apparatus Mayday

18 posts in this topic

I wanted to give a shout out for any and all available help with an issue we are having with our one and only engine. Please help...

We had our pump tests yesterday. We have an engine (1000/1000gpm) and our engine/tanker (2000/1250gpm), the tanker is primarily used as a tanker, although it has the pump, full compliment of attack hose and tools, 2 air packs and ladders, it still is used as our tanker for shuttle ops due to our lack of water supplies in our town. We only have 2 dry-hydrants in use, and several personal ponds scattered around the town.

Our engine failed the pump test, the impeller is bad and we need to either replace it or get a newer truck. Our dept was already trying to replace our aging ambulance which does more duty than our fire dept, but is falling apart litterally. Every call it goes on we experience tech diff and its out of service for a few days. So we have been trying to get that replaced and have nothing for the engine repair/replacement.

My question is, does anyone have an old engine you could sell to us cheap, or no of anyone that has an engine? Nothing special, atleast 1000 gallon tank with a decent pump, we dont need it to be outfitted with any equipment, we have all of that, we just are desparate for an attack engine to replace ours.

If anyone has info please PM or email me, my email is in my profile and we can communicate by phone if ok with you. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, we are a small rural department and do not have much. I have contacted a few people I know and they are looking, but if any of you have or know someone who has something, let me know.

Thanks brothers, we realy need your help on this one.

Brian

Captain, Carlisle Fire & Rescue

Thanks to those who responded by PM, if there are any more out there with any info or leads to decent used engines please let me know.

Thanks again, I am tracking down a few leads now.

Stay Safe

Call Jere Lady at Lady & Taylor in Heidlersburg / Gettysburg he may have some ideas.

firemoose827 likes this

Sorry that I'm not PMing you but on my mobile the messenger doesn't work well....

You also may want to check with Midway (Adams County Co 24) who lost it's response area and had two rigs one of them being a newer HME or KME. Also Adams Co 21 who also lost their response area an had an International Commercial pumper and a Darley pumper tanker. Finally Adams 7 had an old Hahn that they just replaced and not sure if it's been sold.

firemoose827 likes this

Thanks again to ALL of the replies found in my PM this morning!! Got TONS of leads and info and I appreciate ALL of it. I told my chief last night at the station that I was looking into it and asking my "network" for any leads, and now she knows just how big my "network" realy is!!

I will reply to all of you individually as well but it will take some time, but thank you again for all the leads, we are looking into all of them.

Thanks

Moose

I wanted to give a shout out for any and all available help with an issue we are having with our one and only engine. Please help...

We had our pump tests yesterday. We have an engine (1000/1000gpm) and our engine/tanker (2000/1250gpm), the tanker is primarily used as a tanker, although it has the pump, full compliment of attack hose and tools, 2 air packs and ladders, it still is used as our tanker for shuttle ops due to our lack of water supplies in our town. We only have 2 dry-hydrants in use, and several personal ponds scattered around the town.

Our engine failed the pump test, the impeller is bad and we need to either replace it or get a newer truck. Our dept was already trying to replace our aging ambulance which does more duty than our fire dept, but is falling apart litterally. Every call it goes on we experience tech diff and its out of service for a few days. So we have been trying to get that replaced and have nothing for the engine repair/replacement.

My question is, does anyone have an old engine you could sell to us cheap, or no of anyone that has an engine? Nothing special, atleast 1000 gallon tank with a decent pump, we dont need it to be outfitted with any equipment, we have all of that, we just are desparate for an attack engine to replace ours.

If anyone has info please PM or email me, my email is in my profile and we can communicate by phone if ok with you. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, we are a small rural department and do not have much. I have contacted a few people I know and they are looking, but if any of you have or know someone who has something, let me know.

Thanks brothers, we realy need your help on this one.

Brian

Captain, Carlisle Fire & Rescue

hey

I dont know how old your engine is, but also might consider a 2nd pump test from another person. We had one of our 2000 gpm pumpers fail a test. the company doing the test used a drop tank. which is not the right thing to do. we then brought it to garrison fire equipment in palanville, they have 2 inground tanks with enough water in them to do a pump test. turned out our pumper passed the test and pumped 2150 gpm. might just wont a second opinion.

firemoose827 and x129K like this

Our test was done in a large pond in our town, and was done twice by two techs. Then when we had our mechanic look at it he said it was definitely the impeller that was bad. We thought about the second opinion but the truck has had a lot of money put into it already and is showing wear. It also needs 3 new tires but they are on split rims and would take 1,200 dollars a piece to replace...too much money that we dont have. We cant even buy a TIC, or extra turnouts. We have people in gear over the ten year limit but cant do anything about it.

Somers NY FD is selling a nice used ambulance.

914 248 7411. 0900 to 1300 weekdays

Our test was done in a large pond in our town, and was done twice by two techs. Then when we had our mechanic look at it he said it was definitely the impeller that was bad. We thought about the second opinion but the truck has had a lot of money put into it already and is showing wear. It also needs 3 new tires but they are on split rims and would take 1,200 dollars a piece to replace...too much money that we dont have. We cant even buy a TIC, or extra turnouts. We have people in gear over the ten year limit but cant do anything about it.

It is a shock in this day and age to read such posts, especially here in NY...kind of makes you appreciate what so many of us take for granted every day..good luck to you guys

Does anyone know if the 2% limit on tax increases applies to Fire Districts? If so, this is the tip of the iceberg.

I saw several fire parades in Massachusetts this year. Compared to lower HV, the newest MA stuff was outdated compared to the oldest HV stuff. They had old single axle ariels, jump-seat cabs etc. But ya know what? I didn't see any smoldering foundations, so I assume they used what they had and got the job done.

How does a fire company loose their response area? (Referring to mfc2257's post)

Does anyone know if the 2% limit on tax increases applies to Fire Districts? If so, this is the tip of the iceberg.

It does apply to fire districts.

And you are correct, its just the tip.

How does a fire company loose their response area? (Referring to mfc2257's post)

In PA, Borough and Township boards can choose whomever they want to provide fire protection. In the cases I mentioned Company 21 lost it's area via a no confidence vote by the township board of the handful of townships it had been covering. The response area was divided up amongst several other companies. Company 24 lost their response area when 4 companies that surround them chose to merge into a single agency. Company 24 was invited to join the new, larger, more efficient agency but chose not to. Township board didn't agree with this move and removed Company 24 from their box cards in favor of the new entity.

It is a shock in this day and age to read such posts, especially here in NY...kind of makes you appreciate what so many of us take for granted every day..good luck to you guys

Yes...thats why you see in my sidebar, under location I put what I put. We are a small rural farm community. The biggest department in our county is the best off, covering SUNY college and a Wal-Mart among other big stores who all give out monies to volunteer agencies covering their locations annually to assist in protecting their stores. The SUNY campus alone requires that the local FD have an appropriate aerial device to cover their dorm buildings and fire emergencies and assist them to have one at all times.

In my current department only a few minutes ride north of that location we are ALL farmland and small residential areas, no commercial districts, no industrial districts other than repair garages and such. My roster has only 23 active firefighters, out of those only 9 are certified interior firefighters...Most of the roster is older members who only ride fire police or assist with EMS calls, being past chiefs and officers who now just want to help. Our younger membership is dwindling fast and the money just isnt there, yet we do an average of 140 calls a year, which isnt much to some of you I know, but we still have the need.

This past year the town highway received a new building and truck which wiped out any extra money the town had. Our budget (If you call it that) is so small it looks like my daughters piggy bank is bigger. I just recently transfered here in the past year from the other department I mentioned above, and they couldnt get me a set of turnouts until almost a year after joining, I had another department down in the HV area donate a bunch of turnouts but they were all pressing the expiration date as well. We currently use a infrared thermometer as a "TIC", and only have a small CO meter bought from a local hardware store to use in emergencies.

Our ambulance is falling apart yet it runs about 3 times a week (I know thats not a lot to most of you but its still more than our FD runs and the ambulance gets used) and every call it gets taken out of service for repairs for a day or two. Its not safe and we are working on repairing it and fighting with the commissioners and the town board to replace it. Now the attack engine goes...

It sucks but we deal with what we are dealt and make the best out of it. Since joining this department last June (a year ago) we had 3 structure fires in our district and two of those houses are still standing and being repaired. The third was a single wide trailer that was gone before they even called us. So we put up a fight at least and make due with what we have but we shouldnt have to, know what I mean? If anyone can help us let me know, I am not ashamed to ask for help, because we need it.

Thanks again to all the replies, I am looking into each suggestion, and right now am talking to a chief from the NY area who might be giving us a rig...They are saving our lives!!! I am waiting for a call back to confirm and my department is EXTATIC for their generosity. Makes you remember that brotherhood still exists out there. :)

billy98988 likes this

I have to apologize to those reading this thread... When I read that firemoose was from the Carlisle fire department I assumed it was Carlisle, Pennsylvania. This being said I responded with information regarding apparatus that might be available from my old stomping grounds in Adams County (Gettysburg) and surrounding areas which is a short drive from the Borough of Carlisle.

If you are still in need of leads, I'll make introductions for you down in that area.

Edited by mfc2257

I have to apologize to those reading this thread... When I read that firemoose was from the Carlisle fire department I assumed it was Carlisle, Pennsylvania. This being said I responded with information regarding apparatus that might be available from my old stomping grounds in Adams County (Gettysburg) and surrounding areas which is a short drive from the Borough of Carlisle.

If you are still in need of leads, I'll make introductions for you down in that area.

No biggie! I was looking at some used trucks from PA, and even NJ. I guess if we found the right deal we would get it some how!!

Thanks for the info.

Stay Safe

I may have a department down here by me. I'm not sure how soon they want to get rid of it but I can ask. It's an older cab-over ford.

I may have a department down here by me. I'm not sure how soon they want to get rid of it but I can ask. It's an older cab-over ford.

Let me know the specifics and a contact (via PM ofcourse), thanks for the info.