Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Buffalo 13 - Discrimination Lawsuit Settlement

15 posts in this topic

After almost 6 years the 13 members of the Buffalo NY Fire Department who were denied promotions because of race will be learning what they will be entitled to. Like the New Haven 20 who recently had their settlement of $2 million in damages along with $3 million in legal fees announced sources I am close to say that the settlement proposal has been submitted. Back pay,pension $, damages too mention a few will soon be determined. Amazing how these settlements cost the taxpayers in these 2 cases millions and the people (Both Mayors) who are responsible for the cases to even exist walk away with no punishment what so ever. Accountabilty should be a factor here and maybe some would reconsider holding back other people in their careers because in some words "They Can"! Great news both for the NH20/Buffalo 13 for fighting the fight! You have paved the way for many in the future!

tglass59 and M' Ave like this

And hopefully yours will be coming soon

Press on pending settlement: Go to Buffalo news .com ,article is there and for some reason I can't copy!

In todays Buffalo news it is stating that the settlement might reach 4.1 million $$$! Again because of racism the taxpayers will take the hit and the corrupt politicians just shrug their shoulders! :D

tglass59 likes this

Stay with it, your time is coming soon...

On topic: I ride with Buffalo Fire as often as I can. I know two guys related to this issue, one from each side. The Firefighter who was passed over has told me as soon as this case is finished, he's getting Lt pay for Firefighter duties, and he gets RETRO active pay to the day he should have been promoted. He wouldn't give me a figure (not that I blame him), but he told me with the ammount of $$$ Buffalo Fire has to pay him, just on the back pay, he could retire at 40. He's in the area of 35...

Now, on the flip side, I know one of the LTs who were chosen due to their race. He, quite simply, should not be a Lieutenant. He doesn't even have a company...

Commisioner Lombardo, as much as he didn't enjy being Commisioner (again, this is all just what I've heard around the house), was phenominal. I have yet to meet a Firefighter, Lt, Captain, Battalion Chief, ANYONE, who didn't think Mike Lombardo was the best Commissioner they could have asked for. Yes, of course, there were politics involved, but, he did everything in his power to keep the guys riding the trucks safe. He got all new turnouts, every man in the department now has a radio, and they've gotten a ton of new rigs, all thanks to him. When I found out the reason Mayor Byron Brown removed Commissioner Lombardo was because he refused to pass over these Firefighters for those ones, all becasue of the colour of their skin, I was livid.

As for the trucks, a quick fact for you: Buffalo runs 19 Engines and 9 Ladder companies. There are 4 Battalion Chiefs, under 1 Division Chief, as well as numerous support units and special operations chiefs. The oldest Front Line rigs now are Engines 22 and 33, and Ladders 4, 10 and 15. Engine 22, Engine 33 and Ladder 4 all have '99 Pierce Dash's, Ladder 10's got a 1998 Dash (I'm pretty sure), and Truck 15's got a '97 Dash (If memory serves me correctly..). However, 10's slated to get 14's old (2008) E-one, as 14 just got a brand new ALF Midmount, and 15's probably getting 6's old (2004) ALF rearmount. E22, E33 and L4 all have new trucks already on order. Buffalo just received 5 new American LaFrance Pumpers and 2 Aerials. Engines 2, 3, 23, 32 and 34 were replaced, and Ladders 6 and 14 were upgraded. With the exception of 2 pumpers and 1 aerial (Which are 2010 Crimsons), the remainder of the BFD's Engines and Ladders are all 2004-ish ALF Eagles.

All of that was done by Commissioner Lombardo. Commissioner Whitfield's got BIIIG shoes to fill....

In this case the Buffalo City Civil service commissioner (under oath) stated that he didn't want to promote because of the lack of minorities in place for promotion. Sounds familiar to me. The atty who represents the Buffalo 13 (and myself) in the Mt Vernon 1 case has hired an economist to calculate the losses that these guys are out. It includes back pay with interest,projected loss etc. I believe as mention in the Buffalo news the settlement on the table is $4.1 million. The shame about this besides being denied a promotion based on race is that the people involved too include Mayors, civil service commissioners, city lawyers Fire Chiefs (my case) are protected and don't have to go into their own pockets when all is said and done! New Haven case was a $2 million settlement along with a $3million lawyers tab! Maybe if this was changed the dirty politics of the promotions will cease FOR ALL RACES!!!

Hudson, you are absolutely correct. It is way over do for these fine men get compensated for the job they rightfully deserved. It is sad that even today this type of policy continues to happen. Also the fact that the people in charge of causing such an issue walk away without even a slap on the hand. It is just not right. Atleast this is a step in the right direction.

In Cincinnati OH the Fire Chief was harrasing and retaliating against a member of the dept, the courts ruled that he acted on his own and not as A Fire Chief. He is liable for his actions and is now being sued. I know of a pending retaliation case where the Fire Chief might be sued personally! They are not exempt from work force rules put in place by the EEOC.

This is very sad. I actually thought that something like the fire department was done with racial clashes such as this but it seems that they're not over. Hopefully this department (well the people who did this) learn the fact that doing what they did have some serious reprocussions especially on the taxpayers.

I recieved a call the other night from Firefighter Gene Margerum of the Buffalo FD, the settlement is in. Over $2 million will be awarded to the 13 members who were not promoted because they were white. Gene will recieve over $500,000 in damages. Its nice to see that the courts recognized the wrong doing unlike another case I am aware of !:rolleyes:

I recieved a call the other night from Firefighter Gene Margerum of the Buffalo FD, the settlement is in. Over $2 million will be awarded to the 13 members who were not promoted because they were white. Gene will recieve over $500,000 in damages. Its nice to see that the courts recognized the wrong doing unlike another case I am aware of !:rolleyes:

Great news for those guys. The more court precedent there is against this kind of racial discrimination, the better. The way things are looking in NYC, we're going to need a lot of prior precedent to help our cause.

While the cases in New Haven and Buffalo are a good start, the reality is, these types of cases won't really go away until the Supreme Court actually addresses the disparate impact clause and sets the law straight. I can't wait for that day....

There will be some news soon out of Westchester pertaining to equal rights in the fire service,not at liberty to say yet!