Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

The HEROPipe

11 posts in this topic

Chicago Lt. Michael Wielgat was able to turn an idea into reality and earlier this month, the largest fire department in the country became the first to purchase the invention he began working on just over five years ago.

Full Article at Firehouse.com

So, what do you guys think? Worth it?

Looks like a good idea. As long as the elevators work...

Edited by newsbuff

i think new rochelle has somthing like this?

We have what amounts to a large navy nozzle. This looks as though it is run by hydraulics. This is alot more "interesting" than what we carry.

i think new rochelle has somthing like this?

Nope, NRFD and FDNY have high rise nozzles. They are light weight handheld nozzles supplied with a 2" or 2 1/2" handline.

This is more like a deck gun than what we have (and FDNY has deployed citywide)

post-4072-0-08460100-1316558514.jpg

The highrise nozzle is intended for residential units with a wind driven fire, with loss of the door to the common hall, thus making the hall untenable. This monster looks more like it might be needed in a very open floor spaces, like an office building

By the time you get that thing in place and set up, you might be in the collapse zone

At $62,000 per unit I do not think you will see many purchased. FDNY has ordered 4.

Another tool in the bag if needed. Using it once will pay for it!

At $62,000 per unit I do not think you will see many purchased. FDNY has ordered 4.

I think you're wrong Barry. It has wheels, it's red, and it's shiny...therefore it can go in PARADES...if we apply this logic to what we have seen in the past, many departments will purchase these devices, even those with no hi-rises.

Bnechis likes this

Isn't proper planning, which includes working standpipes, firefighting equipment in large locked metal chests, etc just as important in battling a hi-rise fire?

As mentioned, Hartsdale carried a version of this device, also called the Navy Nozzle.

For the one pictured above, what kind of manpower and room do you need to get that set up? I imagine trying to clip it on the side of a building is not easy.

I'm interested to see FDNY use it. Do we know what companies it is assigned to? As Joe said, another tool in the bag-especially for the two Hi-Rise units.

As one Paramedic/Firefighter on this forum says, many departments resisted steam powered engines at the time over horse, citing the newer device as absurd.