Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJMedic

Learning from Tragedy at the Boston Fire Department

10 posts in this topic

http://blogs.bostonmagazine.com/boston_daily/2011/09/28/learning-tragedy-boston-fire-department/

Learning from Tragedy at the Boston Fire Department

On the afternoon of January 9, 2009, the brakes on Ladder Company 26 failed, and the truck ran down Parker Street in Mission Hill, cutting across Huntington Street, and crashing into a building, taking the life of Lt. Kevin Kelley and injuring the driver and several other passengers.

Following the accident, the City commissioned an outside study of the Boston Fire Department’s fleet management practices that put forward some harsh findings about the BFD and provided a clear set of recommendations. The study found that the fleet’s management was largely haphazard, as evidenced by a vicious cycle of poorly qualified mechanics who either did questionable work or were unable to properly judge work done by outside vendors, so firefighters became reluctant to report problems and get trucks serviced. A separate inquiry into the crash found multiple breakdowns in protocol — improper parts, limited testing, weak documentation.

Click on link for complete article

FDNY 10-75 likes this

Very interesting article.

The few times I had visited the Boston shops, around 2003, the first thing I noticed is these guys can weld anything! They were also much better mechanics with the older apparatus, and weren't too familiar with the modern complexities.

Boston FD's fleet takes a beating with rough tight streets and cold snowy winters and hot humid summers.

It's sad. Personally, I feel a city fleet should consist of one or two brands. That way, parts can be stocked and EVT's can be trained by the factory. Plus, they would become familar with the rigs and thier problems. I know with the bid system that's not possible, but having severals makes and models of apparatus of diffent years and different chasis adds a lot of complication to things. From my understanding, that's why FDNY likes Seagrave. The mechanics are extensively familiar with them, and they have extensive parts on hand. Of course, especially now, that is changing.

Also, different people have different sets of skills. Some are better with the ladder trucks, the aerials, outgirggers, etc and some are better with pumpers and the pump systems. Some are better with chasis and engine/transmission repair.

I'm sure Sean can fill us in more.

As of late, Boston has been making a move to mix up the fleet with varying manufacturers, possibly in an effort to push what Seth was talking about: parts stocked and EVT's trained. Although Boston has been, is still, and always will be an E-One city, there are quite a few Pierces in the fleet, and now, several engines and a rescue by KME, as well as an assortment of varying other manufacturers in the support/special unit area.

It is sad that a tragedy like this happened. Not to say whether BFD's shop mechanics were or were not qualified or did or did not do their job, but making sure mechanics are still as skilled as possible and department shops are run the best they possibly can be is a must for any fire department, whether it's a busy one or not. Like many other things in the firefighting field, one of the most important for that matter, keeping apparatus maintained is extremely important. Having a fleet in tip-top shape as opposed to one that's hap-hazard, can literally mean the difference between life and death. Spare/Reserve rigs are great, but it should obviously be kept in mind that they were usually also once frontline rigs, and saw wear-and-tear. Thus, although Spares/Reserves are great, and maintaining a good Spare/Reserve apparatus pool is very important(kudos to Yonkers for example), the frontline rigs are the backbone. Why have a frontline fleet at all if spares/reserves are always in it's place. In my opinion, a perfect apparatus fleet should consist of both a great spare/reserve pool, and an even better frontline fleet(that means hardcore trucks that don't break down on a regular basis).

Although what I've said might sound a little extreme, or like a pipe dream about fleets, this is just my opinion. Even though some of it is a little obvious and not to knock shop mechanics in any way or for any reason, this is just how I see it.

x635 likes this

I forgot to mention, Boston is sending a lot of their apparatus to a proper facility for refurbishment. Some to repair damage caused by the years of negligent care by the fleet staff. In most cases, this is to get a few more years out of the rig, especially in the reserve pool.

The E-One Aerials have a huge advantage over their competitors in Boston....the outriggers work nice on tight Boston streets. I don't think any other manufacturer can provide such a low profile outriggers.

They also have taken delivery of numerous new ladders and engines, which will increase the spare pool.

sfrd18 likes this

From a mechanic`s point of view with 40 plus years experience working on fire apparatus i must say that all the mechanic`s that i know working on fire trucks are all top shelf (mechanic`s) with vast experienc

There are many things that can be learned from the Ladder 26 incident. From the maintenance issues, reviewing with your operators what can be done if a brake failure occurs, to the conversation that occurred between the officer and driver of L26 during the incident. Sad that it was brought to light some of the maintenance issues when the ladder failure occurred 2 years prior to ladder 26. Protect yourself and protect your people! Maintain your vehicles...this is a budget item that should never be compromised and train them how to handle situations they may encounter and remember property before life.

Can somebody explain to me how a fail-safe braking system, with an emergency back-up system ends up failing?

Just to clarify an important point, the Boston Fire Department mechanics did NOT perform the brake work on Ladder 26's truck, that work was done by an outside contractor. The men that worked down in Motor Squad for many years did the best that they could with the limited resources afforded them by the Administration. One specific example that I am aware of is that one of the mechanics found out that Pierce was have a class locally for mechanics. He was interested in learning more about doing his job. He researched the class, decided to go on his OWN time & made a request to have the tuition reimbursed. his request was DENIED! With an attitude like that, why should we expect the men down there to go above & beyond? The problems down there had more to do with the city trying to get too much time out of our vehicles than they should have. Can anyone explain to me why my company, which averages around 2,300 runs a year, had a front line piece in service for 18.5 years?!? Our current truck was manufactured in May of 1993. The fact that the city, and Mayor Tom Menino, got away from the Apparatus Replacement Plan, implimented by former Commissioner/Chief of Department Leo Stapleton, is not a reflection on Motor Squad. You need proper preventative maintenance, a realistic replacement plan, a sufficent budget & well-trained employees in order to run this division the way it should be run. Sadly it took FLT Kelley's passing to shine a light on this.

x635 and efdcapt115 like this

Thanks, Sean, for the factual information. It's sad what gets passed onto the public, via distorted sources, and what the real deal is.

Just to clarify an important point, the Boston Fire Department mechanics did NOT perform the brake work on Ladder 26's truck, that work was done by an outside contractor. The men that worked down in Motor Squad for many years did the best that they could with the limited resources afforded them by the Administration. One specific example that I am aware of is that one of the mechanics found out that Pierce was have a class locally for mechanics. He was interested in learning more about doing his job. He researched the class, decided to go on his OWN time & made a request to have the tuition reimbursed. his request was DENIED! With an attitude like that, why should we expect the men down there to go above & beyond? The problems down there had more to do with the city trying to get too much time out of our vehicles than they should have. Can anyone explain to me why my company, which averages around 2,300 runs a year, had a front line piece in service for 18.5 years?!? Our current truck was manufactured in May of 1993. The fact that the city, and Mayor Tom Menino, got away from the Apparatus Replacement Plan, implimented by former Commissioner/Chief of Department Leo Stapleton, is not a reflection on Motor Squad. You need proper preventative maintenance, a realistic replacement plan, a sufficent budget & well-trained employees in order to run this division the way it should be run. Sadly it took FLT Kelley's passing to shine a light on this.

Well said brother. You just spoke for many professional firefighters out there who deal with similiar circumstances for issues they are having as well.