Date: October 19, 2011

Time: 0759 hours

Frequency: Disp - 453.900, Command 453.800

Units Operating: Amenia All Equipment, Millerton All Equipment & NDP EMS

Weather Conditions: Rainy, Overcast

Description Of Incident: Possible Structure Fire

Reporters: Firechief63

Writer: Firechief63

Dutchess County 911 dispatched a reported structure fire in the dorms at Kildonian Schools.

0804 hrs. - Amenia 31-16 responding

0804 hrs. - Millerton 51-3 on scene reporting possible multiple brush piles on fire, out investigating. Code 1 equipment and no further dispatches at this time.

0806 hrs. - Millerton 51-3 reports confirming multiple brush piles on fire and within local open burning policies, terminate the alarm.

0807 hrs. - DC CC14 back in service.

0808 hrs. - Millerton 51-3 reports to DC911 that this will be an ongoing incident of burning possibly all day in case they recieve any further reports.

TAPSJ likes this

I would think a courtesy call would have been appropriate, a simple notification to the local authorities in advance of a scheduled "large burn", no?

Don't "local open burning policies" include this requirement?

That would have eliminated TWO towns from responding unnecessarily, all out, to THE SCHOOL IS ON FIRE, and turns out to be a controlled burn.

I thought it was too late to open burn? Anyone confirm this, as I have a pile to light up!

Disregard....got it...and I need a flare please.

Effective on October 14, 2009, all open burning is prohibited in New York with several exceptions including the following:

•Campfires less than 3 feet in height and 4 feet in length, width or diameter are allowed.

•Small cooking fires are allowed.

•Fires cannot be left unattended and must be fully extinguished.

•Only charcoal or clean, untreated or unpainted wood can be burned.

•Ceremonial or celebratory bonfires are allowed.

In towns with a total population less than 20,000, you may burn tree limbs with attached leaves. The limbs must be less than 6 inches in diameter and 8 feet in length (also referred to as brush). However, this is not allowed from March 16 through May 14 due to the increased risk of wildfires.

jack10562 likes this

Thanks for digging up that info. I'm guessing that's current NYS issued open burn requirements.

Too bad it doesn't make any mention any of notifying your local PD/FD or the need for a permit.

They make it so damn confusing now...but there is a blurb that ceremonial or celebratory bon fires are accepted...So in a few weeks i shall be making my peace offering to the beer gods and having a ceremonial bonfire in there honor I guess!