Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R1SmokeEater

Hartsdale Fire 12-14-90

14 posts in this topic

I've got to tell you, R1SmokeEater, you've got some fantastic YouTube videos! Keep up the great work!

Frank Becerra Jr. - Photo

post-23-0-19683900-1319146782.jpg

Lets not let the Hartsdale sign fool any one. Newmark and Lewis is with in Greenville Fire District and they were the first responders. you ask how I know I was Captain that night. It was a well planned arson fire. We had a call there the night before at aprox the same time. So they knew what apparatus and manpower were responding. We responded with an Officer and 5 firefighters. first mutual aid was Hartsdale/Fairview on the 10-75. Fire went right up the middle of the building through the heating system that had been tampered with, then spread to the facade and just ran around the buiding. When all was said and done mutual aid was form HFD, FFD, WPFD,SFD,YFD all to the scene.

Lets not let the Hartsdale sign fool any one. Newmark and Lewis is with in Greenville Fire District and they were the first responders. you ask how I know I was Captain that night. It was a well planned arson fire. We had a call there the night before at aprox the same time. So they knew what apparatus and manpower were responding. We responded with an Officer and 5 firefighters. first mutual aid was Hartsdale/Fairview on the 10-75. Fire went right up the middle of the building through the heating system that had been tampered with, then spread to the facade and just ran around the buiding. When all was said and done mutual aid was form HFD, FFD, WPFD,SFD,YFD all to the scene.

Hey Capt you forgot Ardsley Fire they dropped about 600 ft of 5 in up Central Ave

More from Greenville's Newmark & Lewis fire. Photos by Frank Becerra Jr.

post-654-0-74863500-1319153954.jpg

post-654-0-90484200-1319154762.jpg

post-654-0-69593400-1319154821.jpg

post-654-0-24952600-1319155468.jpg

post-654-0-34016900-1319155514.jpg

Was this the building next to Jesse's stand?

up the block and on the other side of Central Ave

Newmark and Lewis is now a small strip mall opposite the post office.

After the fire, it moved to the former wine distribution center next to Carvel about a mile from the original location. Newmark and Lewis went out of business a short time later, and Barnes and Noble moved in. In 2007, Barnes and Noble closed, due to a continued problem of water flooding into the back of the store from an elevated embankment the store is built into at the rear of the property.

We saw this video in Probie School, and Capt. Ferguson went over the whole incident. I remember as a kid seeing Frank's photos on the front page of the Reporter Dispatch.

Ironically, fire gutted another Newmark and Lewis in Long Island:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6999617_BzB3b/1/448036149_9vbEQ#448036149_9vbEQ

The GFD guys know better than I, but I think it was a block building, virtually windowless, with a concrete roof...tough to gain access.

Before Newmark and Lewis, I think it was a Discount Lumber and hardware store. They used to sell things like warped 2x4's and scratched up wood paneling.

One of my favorites of all time: you could get a very good deal on Levels marked as "seconds."

GFD senior guys- was it Weber's Lumber?

Edited by wraftery

up the block and on the other side of Central Ave

Okay thanks. But didn't the building next to Jesse's burn some years ago as well? Chief? Cap?

Okay thanks. But didn't the building next to Jesse's burn some years ago as well? Chief? Cap?

Yes. It wasn't my fire but it was a 2-story, 75x30 Dinette place with offices also on floor 2. Offices had their entrance on the rear side. Heavy fire on floor 2, (many dinette displays). All glass front allowed the Tower Ladder to make a quick outside knock down. In fact, the TL was able to blow thru the sheet rock walls and penetrate their stream all the way to the back of the building.

For those who want to try this tactic, Take the glass first with hand tools, then use your smallest tip and crank up the pressure. It may not work at first, but once the sheetrock softens a little, it should penetrate the wall.

Jesse's Hot Dogs had a little burn too. He sold some HOT onions for his dogs!

Edited by wraftery

Does anyone remember what Yonkers FD units responded to this incident? (314, 70 and B2?)

Correct it was Webbers lunber and correct again it was a windowless building. Made entry and ventiliation extreamly difficult. Fire was in the middle of the building.I went in the front door to try and locate seat of fire,it had already gained a hold of the second floor and was rolling down the long floor area. Mutual aid was called fast as manpower and water were the concern. no one was in the building.