Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

The iPCR

11 posts in this topic

Check it out...

From The EMS Expo 2011 in Las Vegas

Ems1.com Review of the iPCR

I can finish a paper ACR/PCR in the time it takes to watch the video, and if I lose the paperwork or my pen, I'm only out 75 cents... I'm narrative heavy on all my documentation so all of those neat little features about assessment and treatment do nothing but waste time.

Its the wave of the future, resistance is futile.

OoO and helicopper like this

Comical115, I agree, any form of the ePCR does have its ups, but one big down having your narrative spread across 900 check boxes and 8 pages of the program. I'm sure I won't be the first to think/say this, but in my experience agencies rely on TOUGHbooks for a reason. I cannot see an iPad lasting more than 2 days in the agency I work at, not because people are careless, but just due to the call volume and our response area; something is bound to happen, usually in a time inversely proportional to how expensive something is. I personally have dropped/knocked the toughbook a few times, and fortunately the thing keeps on going. That being said, I don't think an ipad would survive a drop from the back step. Just my strawpenny. Needless to say, still a cool concept, thanks for sharing the link firedude.

The stability of iOS and the durability of solid state flash memory makes the iPad extremely durable. Add a bomb proof Otter Box or Pelican style case and you have a device that should be able to preform on par with the tough books.

PFDRes47cue likes this

The stability of iOS and the durability of solid state flash memory makes the iPad extremely durable. Add a bomb proof Otter Box or Pelican style case and you have a device that should be able to preform on par with the tough books.

Isn't that similar to what FDNY EMS is testing in Statten Island?

I haven't seen what is being tested, but I don't think either is an iPad

My iPad was not in it's case and driven over by a car and is working fine. They're a lot tougher than their appearance would lead you to believe. The most fatal to them is a 5+ ft drop without a case where they land diagonal on one corner.

I actually dropped mine off a treadmill and cracked the corner of the screen... I know ive dropped my toughbook from standing height and it wouldn't have known the difference

I can finish a paper ACR/PCR in the time it takes to watch the video, and if I lose the paperwork or my pen, I'm only out 75 cents... I'm narrative heavy on all my documentation so all of those neat little features about assessment and treatment do nothing but waste time.

Me to (narrative heavy) & having to type with just a couple of fingers tends to slow one down. Steve was wrong when he said the pen (styles) was dead & a useless way to input data. You're also right about the way of the future though, we're going to have to adapt & go along with whatever tech is thrown at us. Resistance is futile. Edited by Ga-Lin
comical115 likes this

Delmar EMS (just South of Albany) is using the iPad with EMS Charts for their EPCRs.

I am the same way and thought the same as you until I started using the system my agency deployed. Basically it allows me to document much in the same manner as I did on paper and with much lest angst and I have prompts to list what I would write. It also has allowed us to get statistical information that has proven very valuable for budgeting, personnel staffing needs, response times, tracking equipment/medication usage etc. I utilize 2 different devices depending on which unit I'm on. The toughbook is my favorite as its a lap top and knowing how to type I fly through charts. The other is a tablet which many of us have asked for the blue tooth keypad for the same reason. Once you get used to it..its fast and you realize when you look over your completed charts...you've input the same info you would have written and depending on which software you use have plenty of places to do your own input on your assessment, findings, pertinent negatives etc. If your agency does little call volume..then maybe its a waste of time..but the uses we've come to use and get used to have been phenomenal on top of the time savings of QA/QI.

As far as having a narrative spread across 8 pages...again it keeps it orderly and not much different if you document head to toe. This just does it in a different order you have to get used to. The biggest thing is standardizing your charts for those things that don't fit neatly into the program so everyone is on the same page. I also highly recommend using software that you can change and/or add the things that are unique for you agency/area. Some don't allow that but it makes things a lot better and easier for those who are resistant to it to make them comfortable.

comical115 likes this