Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

45 Medics - Are 3 enough?

67 posts in this topic

You weren't serious with this were you? I guess you haven't been on many calls waiting with the family whether ALS or BLS waiting for an ambulance to get there. Not saying it happens all the time, but I get tired of saying, "well they are volunteers and it takes time to get here". That is just BS! Patients and their families don't understand the concept of time when someone they love is hurt or sick. All they want is their loved ones to get to the hospital, and the only way that happens, is if AN AMBULANCE IS ON SCENE!

I am gonna stop now because I see this getting me HOT!

Ambulances are not the only way for loved ones to get to the hospital. The family could always use one of their own cars to drive a family member with a sprained ankle or the flu to the hospital.

In all seriousness, I understand where you are coming from.

Believe me, I am all for people not calling the PD, Fire, or AMB of nonsense calls. I may even suggest at times that a PT be transported by a family memeber. But people understand and often say, "Won't we get seen faster if we go by ambulance?" I advise them that this is not always the case!

There are very few excuses I will except for a delay, especially when I am on scene trying to deal with a Patient or the Patient's family! There are some good VAC's out there that have their stuff together and then there are some that should just be absorbed by other Agencies!

comical115 likes this

If BLS was faster and more reliable triaged dispatching would be more viable and free up the medics from many of the BLS calls they're sent on. However when you can't guarantee a timely response from BLS the risk of a incorrectly triaged call resulting in serious harm or death is too much.

It's my understanding that the individual VAC's and FD's determine what EMD Code results in an ALS response. So the idea that properly EMD'ing all EMS calls in the county will result in freeing up medics is slightly erroneous due to the fact that a 40 year old male with abdominal pain will still result in an ALS assignment.

It's my understanding that the individual VAC's and FD's determine what EMD Code results in an ALS response. So the idea that properly EMD'ing all EMS calls in the county will result in freeing up medics is slightly erroneous due to the fact that a 40 year old male with abdominal pain will still result in an ALS assignment.

I thought the EMD responses came from the vendor that provides the EMD cards/computer program (normally NPDS/ProQA ©)

I also know of a few EMS agencies in Orange County where even though the county 911 center EMD's all calls, they still send the medics to BLS calls because according to them "It is the only way were able to afford our own medics."

Easy there. I'm not defending that kind of delay. Far too often regular civilians and yes even the family that had to wait those extra 20 minutes are later praising all of the responders(volunteer ambulance included). You may very well be the only one laying blame on the system rather than making up excuses for the delay.

Come on, you've got to kidding. You've got a captive audience, anyway what do you expect them to say? Many are probably afraid that the next time you wouldn't show up at all. And I do get tired trying to make excuses for a 20 or sometimes longer (if MA is used)response time. I also feel abused when disp to a minor BLS call simply "to stop the clock" & then, after arriving on the scene, asked over the radio (in front of the family, Pt., & loved ones) that the agency has a driver but no EMT & could I ride it in. Other then me looking bad, I'm going to have to wait even longer for that MA Amb. Sending a single medic flycar to a call like this is an abuse of the system by the agencies themselves, & maybe the reason other Municipalities don't want to contribute for a 4th or 5th unit.

Come on, you've got to kidding. You've got a captive audience, anyway what do you expect them to say? Many are probably afraid that the next time you wouldn't show up at all. And I do get tired trying to make excuses for a 20 or sometimes longer (if MA is used)response time. I also feel abused when disp to a minor BLS call simply "to stop the clock" & then, after arriving on the scene, asked over the radio (in front of the family, Pt., & loved ones) that the agency has a driver but no EMT & could I ride it in. Other then me looking bad, I'm going to have to wait even longer for that MA Amb. Sending a single medic flycar to a call like this is an abuse of the system by the agencies themselves, & maybe the reason other Municipalities don't want to contribute for a 4th or 5th unit.

Of course it's the reason. It's the cheaper and politically sensitive way out.

Its not to say that something can't be done, but that begins to complicate things on the dispatch end. If you were going to implement BLS only response for certain calls then there has to be back up. After x-number of minutes the medic get assigned or only do BLS solo when the vac has a rostered or even better, on site crew. How complicated can the dispatch algorithms at 60 get?

Don't have this problem in my primary response area...we provide BLSFR with the FD. The secondary area is the issue as half the town has paid FD that provides BLSFR and the other side is all volunteer with no BLSFR programs.

Look it is what it is as far as EMD. And yes you can tweak it but if you're really going to tweak it as much as some suggest why bother.

And don't tell me "it won't work." Tell me either why you feel it won't work...or here's a thought...lets figure out how it would work or how to make it work. Thank god some of our biggest leaders in the world were never firefighters or EMS providers.

helicopper and efdcapt115 like this