Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

Loud bursts of static on 46.26

23 posts in this topic

Anyone know what this is?? Very annoying.

No - I've been hearing this as well, and it is quite annoying. Almost as bad as hearing those taxi drivers from the weeks past.

Is there a way 46.26 can lock out all non-emergency radio traffic? Where I'm from in NJ, Monmouth County EMS channels, and Fire, I believe, are locked out from being used unless you have an approved radio identifier (a small "squealing" type noise that goes over the air after the mic is released) which are programmed into the vehicle radios as well as the portables which are assigned to the membership. I've been reading a lot about the broadcast problems on 46.26 in recent weeks - the fishermen in the Hudson, the taxi drivers, and the Briarcliff repeater issue - and I think WC DES should look into getting a similar system to what Monmouth County has.

Sounds like a great idea, and I'd love to have it. The only problem I forsee...$$$

Especially since the county is spending so much money on the new trunked radio system

Is the new trunked radio system being utilized yet? If it's not, then they could probably just amend the purchase and spec orders for the radio system. Because if you look at it from the point of communication, if there are loud bursts of static going over the air, then it must have a source; the source tying up a channel and while it's broadcasting, it's preventing another unit from communicating. It's dangerous in a way.

This time, I really do think it is all Dennis' fault...

I'm with you on that one, Seth

and the Briarcliff repeater issue

What issue might you be refering to? I havent noticed any problems with the repeater.

This time, I really do think it is all Dennis' fault...

No matter what I do i'ts always my fault!

we hve had similiar problems on 46.50 - we are looking into it with the FCC

Part of Westchesters problem is nothing is channel guarded with PL codes--drives me nuts!!!

I too am hearing this - almost every 30 minutes.

I am hearing this on my pager when I am home, which leads me to believe it is coming from either Croton, Briarcliff, Montrose, Peekskill or Mohegan's repeater, because I rarely pick up anything else.

If I was a betting man, I would blame our repeater, because it has been a disaster since it was installed. Hopefully there is a solution to this all in the near future.

Also picking it up in P'ville and Bedford Hills

Anyone out there with a Digital SCaner?? Sounds like Digital stuff.. DFFD227 can you compare the sound to that of something like YPD.

The B'cliff repeater issue to which I was referring happened around January of this year - Briarcliff got some sort of repeater or communications equipment and was able to "step on" FDNY communications and vice versa. I think it had something to do with a PL; if I'm wrong, I apologize.

The B'cliff repeater issue to which I was referring happened around January of this year - Briarcliff got some sort of repeater or communications equipment and was able to "step on" FDNY communications and vice versa. I think it had something to do with a PL; if I'm wrong, I apologize.

Just to clear up the rumor, the NYPD sod incident was not caused by the Briarcliff Repeater, I spent many hours sitting in the transmitter room that weekend monitoring the equiptment and confirmed it was not being caused by us. I honestly dont know what caused it so i'm not going to speculate.

When i get off work this weekend I am planning on doing the same thing to see if this white noise that is being heard is being caused by our equiptment or not.

Sorry if I am sounding defensive, but I dont want to see any bad rumors start about our radios, this was a project that started more than 2 years ago that myself and numorus member's of the department put allot of time and effort into to get done.

Remember Plectron, it IS your fault :twisted:

Just to clear up the rumor, the NYPD sod incident was not caused by the Briarcliff Repeater, I spent many hours sitting in the transmitter room that weekend monitoring the equiptment and confirmed it was not being caused by us. I honestly dont know what caused it so i'm not going to speculate.

When i get off work this weekend I am planning on doing the same thing to see if this white noise that is being heard is being caused by our equiptment or not.

Sorry if I am sounding defensive, but I dont want to see any bad rumors start about our radios, this was a project that started more than 2 years ago that myself and numorus member's of the department put allot of time and effort into to get done.

Next week I'm going to watch my grass grow would you like to come and watch also? :D

Sorry to give bad information, but I was re-stating something that was already stated on the board a few months ago and which wasn't cleared up.

I think if Westchester adopted a radio plan like Putnam and Dutchess has, I bet half of the problems would be solved. It works very well in these two counties and I cannot see why it wouldnt work in Westchester with all the low band frequencies allotted to them.

IE: 46.260 DISPATCH ONLY

46.140 Responding,On location, Updates...etc ( or any way you want to configure it)

Then you can assign the other channels as firegrounds. I know there are all those other frequencies out there for firegrounds, but most arent being utilized because of money or pride issues. The frequencies are there already, just someone at WC-DES have the guts to make the changes to improve the communication problems in Westchester. Most every department has more then one if not all of the low band frequencies in there radios as it is.

Another problem that can cut radio traffic down, is why does every piece of apparatus, and every chief have to go 10-8 or 10-40 or whatever. Whoever the Incident Commander on the scene is just needs to make one transmission to 60 Control and say : example dept only- 2501 to 60 Control, all West Harrison Units are back in service and returning. Thats it end of story..no one else needs to say it ( no offense Vito just using WHFD as an example)

This is great choices we have here. Either listen to static, or Radio Free India.. What next?!!!!

We're just making sure you don't forget about us...

Maybe we're in a active sun spot cycle 8-[

You tell 'em Den...

Today(4/27/05) at around 20:15, I heard on and off static and what sounded like a man with a middle eastern accent talking on 46.26 on my pager and my scanner. Pelham had a fire call around this time and the dispatcher asked the Pelham unit to repeat because he was 'stepped on'. Anyone else hear that?

there seems to be a big problem in the entire area, almost all low band channels are having the same problem. In Ct is seems to be affecting the 33 meg freq the most, although I was told at the county chiefs meeting last night everyone is being hammered in low band.

One possible cause i heard last night was the broad banding being carried by the power co. on their lines.... I'm unfamiliar with this so I dont hold it to be the truth.