Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Another Fixed Blade Option

11 posts in this topic

If you read the somments, it links to a youtube vid that shows it takes a substantial amount of force to dislodge ot from the scabbard.

If anyone has a link to where to purchase such a knife, please hook me up, I would like to do this to my light.

x635 likes this

If you read the somments, it links to a youtube vid that shows it takes a substantial amount of force to dislodge ot from the scabbard.

If anyone has a link to where to purchase such a knife, please hook me up, I would like to do this to my light.

Exactly, we have these at work on our swiftwater gear and it is very unlikely to unintentionally release the knife.

Dan, I'm pretty sure we got this knife from this company:

Edit: this is a better link http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2755&pdeptid=960

Edited by Danger
x635 and x129K like this

I know quite a few guys who use this setup. I don't know of any issues. I'm not a knife fan myself. I think in a blind situation it is very difficult to cut the entanglement with a knife. I personaly go with cable cutters. My advice is recreate the situation you envision you need knife for and see if you can do it in zero visibility. Also make sure you have all your gear on they way you would on the fire floor. This way you can see where you want things in your pockets. My advice in a pocket on the side of your dominant hand possibly with a teather attached.

Ok so I just went to VES and there is a story about my type of set up here.

http://www.vententersearch.com/?p=1499

Edited by 16fire5
x129K likes this

FYI, anyone interested in the NRS knife. It SHOULD be available at Eastern Mountain Sports in Scarsdale, give us a call first to double check and reserve it, 914-725-0024. Also, be aware that it is a blunt end knife (no point) so that it won't puncture inflatable watercraft.

Knives are great for rope and string, but how often are they what entangles you?? Good cutters can cut wire and rope much better than a knife. That aside, a quality knife with appropriate sheath will only let loose accidentally in the most extreme conditions.

I know quite a few guys who use this setup. I don't know of any issues. I'm not a knife fan myself. I think in a blind situation it is very difficult to cut the entanglement with a knife. I personaly go with cable cutters. My advice is recreate the situation you envision you need knife for and see if you can do it in zero visibility. Also make sure you have all your gear on they way you would on the fire floor. This way you can see where you want things in your pockets. My advice in a pocket on the side of your dominant hand possibly with a teather attached.

Ok so I just went to VES and there is a story about my type of set up here.

http://www.vententersearch.com/?p=1499

I carry both but in my experience watching people in zero visibility conditions and entangled that they faired better and are a bit quicker with the knife with a gloved hand then they did with cable cutters. With the gloved hand,not being able to see and under some duress, in my case this is physical with increased heart and respiratory rates through work as they go through the maze and entanglement simulator, fine motor control reduces at this point, which for using cutters..fine motor control is need to get the cable/wire into the cutter. A knife is more of a gross motor movement...but I would be amiss if I don't mention that thicker cables do cause a problem as well. If you don't get through a thick cable with your first slice, it will be very difficult if you cannot see by smoke or location of the entanglement to find the score to cut in the same place. Read below as to why I prefer a slight serrated edge on my knives.

The bottom line is you have to be comfortable and knowledgable of what you like and can use. I see some with rambo knives because the think it looks cool or so it draws attention to themselves and the thing would probably fall apart on first use or not cut butter because its a show piece instead of a knife. I prefer a knife that can be sharpened despite having a slightly serrated edge. This allows a sawing action and makes it easier (for me at least) to keep the blade on the material as sawing where a flat edge knife can easily slide off in the motion.

Oh and for everyday and combat use..nothing beats a K BAR.....ooh rah.

x129K likes this

Found what appears to be the exact same knife at the fire store.. For 25 bucks I think I am going to get get one too

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=1597

BigBuff and x129K like this

Personally I like my knife strapped to my left boot on the inside of the leg... this way when on the floor crawling around, in smokey conditions, its a matter of inches from my right hand... It has a handle of about 4 inches and the blade is close to 6 inches long, with a blunt tip... I have used mine for breaking into homes ( on calls ), cutting seat belt straps, cutting ropes atached to me during drills, and other duties I never thought of...

It save my a** a number of time when diving, and it has helped in the firefighting service...

I have been wearing this exact setup for about two years now. Love having the Knife right out on my chest and have never had a problem with it. The knife is the Gerber River Shorty.

x129K likes this

Found what appears to be the exact same knife at the fire store.. For 25 bucks I think I am going to get get one too

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=1597

****Non-contributory one-liner deleted****

My kids told Santa that Daddy needed a knife for his handlight strap and I got the Gerber River Shorty for Christmas. It is the one from TheFireStore for $25.

I atteched it to the strap of my Power Plus light, right above the buckle for changing the length of the strap, with 3 zip ties. The way it is set up, it is held solidly by the zip ties, and when I pull down to deploy it - the buckle acts as a solid sto so it will not, and can not slide down. It sits at chest level and is very easy to deploy with a gloved hand..very slick set up.

In regards to it coming out of the sheath accidentally...I can not seeing that happening. In the one pic you can see three ribs on the knife handle..EACH rib is a safety catch, so when it is seated, you have three "sets" of secureness...

Sorry it is so dirty, but we caught a helluva J O B yesterday morning...

post-2837-0-72362200-1325885475.jpg

post-2837-0-54530900-1325885480.jpg

post-2837-0-31934600-1325885483.jpg