Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

Using "O" or "ZERO"

13 posts in this topic

When using your designation number, is it ok to use the letter "O"?? For example if im a member of Engine 50, is it OK to say Engine "5-O responding" or should It be "5-zero?" Is Saying "O" a lot faster then saying zero?? How about With Yonkers engines: Engine 3 Zero 4, If you ask me 3"O"4 sounds better and faster. Or with Irvington car 2201. Saying 22ZERO1 seems a lot delayed then saying "O". What does everyone else think of this?

It was something I remember being taught in Elementary school. Like, years shouldn't be "Nineteen Oh-One" but "Nineteen Hundred and One."

Truthfully -the less we have to spit out of our mouths the better. Only exception should be for addresses or something where saying "Oh" could become confusing.

Good question!

LOL. I'm thinking your thinking too much.

It doesn't make much difference unless your in the military, there the letter was the letter, generally said phonetically and the number 0 or "zero" which when written has a slash through it.

My teachers used to tell us - "O is a letter, zero is a number."

Also to be gramatically correct there shouldn't be an "and" in a number. An "and" indicates addition, as in 1 and 1 = 2. So it should be nineteen hundred one. You could say, though, that nineteen hundred and one is correct in that you're adding one to 1900.

Now that's thinking too much.

Example:

Engine One Five Zero would sound retarded!

It's Engine One Five Oh!!!!!!

Who is that guy ONE-ONE-NINE-ONE sometimes known as

ONE-NINETEEN-ONE? 119-1

Engine 3Zero4 or Engine 3Oh4. Takes a milisecond longer to say zero (2 sylables) than oh (1 sylable). I agree with doug_e, Oh is a letter, Zero is a Number. What are we saving? Proper english.

EJS Eighteen One Zero

not to seem offensive or anything, "oh" is a word, "o" is a letter.

When it comes to addresses or a number that may be misinterperted say zero. When dealing with a truck number say "o". The less we have to correct ourselves on the fireground the better.

Thanks Doug for pointing out that something so simple is so difficult.

I guess I should stop saying - two oh five three.

Two zero five three, doesn't flow...

Twenty fifty three, will shake 'em up...

Actually--two hunred 5-three would shake em up. 205 3--If I am correct you are dept 205 right-

LOL

If its a number say the number. honestly there is too much unnessesary confusion these days.