efdcapt115

Hartsdale 2nd Alarm discussion

5 posts in this topic

Posted Yesterday, 03:37 PM

POPULAR

Date:11/28/11

Time:1914Hrs

Frequency: HFD, 46.06, 46.26, Fire 14 Trunked

Units Operating: HFD 2172, 2174, E-170, E-171, TL-15, FFD E-174, GFD SQ-15, SFD L-28 F.A.S.T., Batt 14

Weather Conditions: Clear

Description Of Incident: Working Fire on the 2nd floor, Standpipe attack, Multiple Reports of people trapped on floors above. Members made a aggressive interior attack with a quick knock down of heavy fire in the apartment of origin.

Reporters:

Writer:HFD23

Sounds to me like the Brothers did one hell of a job here. Could we get a little more info? This is the type of incident where the Brothers truly earn their mettle. "Multiple reports of people trapped on floors above", yet as the old saying goes, putting water on a fire saves the most lives. You're talking a multi-million dollar property here, around the holidays, possible deaths if the proper action isn't taken, residents' displacement, we've all seen the worse of it.

I just don't think a good job like this should go the wayside of a simple (yet excellent) I.A. so if there's input from any of the HFD companies, or their union Brothers of GFD, FFD, with help from SFD, I'd sure love to hear it.

Congrats Brothers. Great job.

JohnnyOV, wraftery, sfrd18 and 2 others like this

From knowing the buidlings, walking through them, having to learn and know each and every one of those building's challenges during my Probie phase, I'm betting it was difficult fire. The building was built in the 50's or 60's if not earlier, I believe, There's only one easy exposure you can access the fire from (a building on either side, and a golf course and small river running behind the building which drops below grade. There are also narrow stairwells and hallways, and a small elevator. Top that off with a bunch of elderly residents, and you have quite the job even if it's a small fire.

I also feel that the fires in these buildings are why Tower Ladder 15 (the original) was purchased. Glad to hear there's a temporary subsiture, but it can't hold the same weight in the bucket nor does it have the manuverability to evacuate residents several at a time from difficult locations and deliver them to the ground.

I hope to hear from a Hartsdale member for further on this job, but not putting my money on it.

Great job done by Hartsdale, they have outstanding firefighters. I saw them operating when i was down there, and was done very professionally. Hartsdale has a variety of members, including a Somers fire chief, and other volunteer fire chiefs. I wish the best for them and keep up the great work!

Sounds to me like the Brothers did one hell of a job here. Could we get a little more info? This is the type of incident where the Brothers truly earn their mettle. "Multiple reports of people trapped on floors above", yet as the old saying goes, putting water on a fire saves the most lives. You're talking a multi-million dollar property here, around the holidays, possible deaths if the proper action isn't taken, residents' displacement, we've all seen the worse of it.

I just don't think a good job like this should go the wayside of a simple (yet excellent) I.A. so if there's input from any of the HFD companies, or their union Brothers of GFD, FFD, with help from SFD, I'd sure love to hear it.

Congrats Brothers. Great job.

Sounds about like it was to me, Cap.

The People on upper floors were probably not trapped, just scared. Sounds like they were defended in place. As you said, water on the fire AND a good vent will usually solve most of your other problems.

Familiarization inspections are a high priority item in Hartsdale. There is no reason that a FFs first time in a building like this is for a

fire. That's how FFs get lost and sometimes dead. As Seth said, inspections are one of the first things we do when a probie comes aboard. He still remembers that building and its layout. And that's only one building.

Bnechis, efdcapt115, x635 and 2 others like this

I hope to hear from a Hartsdale member for further on this job, but not putting my money on it.

Yeah, what's up with that?