Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

How Do We Get Rid Of Egos In The Fire Service?

12 posts in this topic

I'm not joking with this, although a lot of humor can be made of this situation.

How do we get rid of egos in the fire service? Is it even possible? If we can't get around egos, is there a way to work around those egos?

I'm interested to hear everyone's view on this. Seems to be one of the worst problems in the fire service.

Only thing I can figure Seth is that EVERYONE needs to swallow their pride and LISTEN to what others say. This is not an easy task and if at all possible will take a great deal of time to do. In the mean time I am going to work on solving world hunger... Might be an easier task.

You can't get rid of ego's. It's someones personality. Good luck changing that.

Anywhere in life that you have human interaction, you will have ego issues.

Although I am in no way involved in the Fire Service, I think the idea of egos in Westchester is a problem that affects the 3 main emergency service fields (Police, Fire, & EMS) to varying degrees. I think first we have to understand why the egos exist before we can start coming up with feasible ways to eitehr get rid of them or circumvent them.

I think there are two main reasons egos exist. First being that generally people involved in any of the emergency service fields are typically "Type A" personality individuals. True professionals have the ability to remain calm, cool, and collected, even when the world around us may be falling apart, and do what needs to be done to get the job done. Our services are routinely sought upon by those in need; and it's this dependance on us not just as a service, but as individuals that builds our egos. Knowing that we can do certain things that most ordinary people can't, are empowered with certain responsibilities that most people aren't, and knowing that there is a dependance on us and the services we provide all adds to our egos. Where would society be without Police Officers who maintain order, enforce laws, provide society's blanket of security and stand guard to protect those who can't protect themselves? Where would we be without Firefighters to prevent and extinguish fires and provide lifesaving rescue services? Where would be without EMS providers who nowadays utilize an expanded scope of practice to provide emergency medical care to sick and injured persons, and transport these individuals to definitive care? Our professions (whether paid or volunteer)by their very nature are ego-boosters for some and fuels the "Type A" personality individual.

I think the second reason egos exist here in Westchester is because of the dynamics of the emergncy service "system" (if we can even call it that) that we have created for ourselves here. The adage of "too many chiefs and not enough indians" is extremely prevalent here in every service. To simply state it, when you have 70 different agencies across the county (a ficitious number just for sake of my opinion/arguement), each with individuals who have hopefully come up through the ranks and invested time and experience to obtain positions as Officers/Management/Administration, with each bump up the "emergency service food chain" comes the potential for a bump in an individuals ego. When subordinates continually refer to an indivdiual as Lieutenant, or Captain, or Chief, sometimes it goes to people's heads. When individuals are in charge of running an agency and feel that they are the greatest thing to come along to their agency in the past 100 years, the title and position has gone to their head. When people think that their agency can't possibly survive without their "expertise", the position has gone to their head. The truth of the matter is that in reality, any one of us is replaceable. Some may do a better job then others, but no single person is that important that their job can't be just done as well, if not better, by the next guy (or gal). I can even see how the perks of having a Department car can, and does, go to some peoples heads, because, especially in smaller communities, a Fire Chief driving around is his/her marked Chiefs Car becomes a figure head within their community. What can this lead to? A boost in one's ego. So now you want to tell an individual, who may have given 15 years of dedicated service to their local FD and finally made it to a Chief position, to be open to the idea of consolidation and/or regionalization. Of course there's going to be resistance to the idea of it, because this individual is now saying to themselves, wait a minute, I just dedicated 15 years of MY life to MY FD, and now they want ME to consolidate and take away MY Chiefs car, possibly take away MY title, take away MY power and authority that I worked for and deserve, etc (see the pattern there). It doesn't go over so well with a lot of people. But we created this mess ourselves by creating 70 different agencies within one County and adopting an "every man for himself" mentality. Even in EMS in Westchester, you have some individuals who have worked hard to create positions for themselves as EMS administrators overseeing EMS systems that they worked hard to set-up. Will they be willing to give up their system that they worked hard for to now become a part of a regionalized system where they may not have the same perks (i.e. pay, title, take home car, etc)? I don't know, maybe some will, but I have a feeling the majority won't. I don't want any of them who are reading this to take offense, because I know that most did work hard and deserve to get to where they are, and I can't fault them for looking out for themselves and developing a career out of EMS in a County where EMS is so fragmented and dissheveled.

So how do we get rid of, or circumvent, egos in Westchester County? Like a previous poster said, it's gonna take a whole lot of people to put aside their pride, perks, and tradition to start looking to improve the system as a whole county-wide and not just within the borders of their Town. Is it possible, maybe. But it has to start with changing the mindset of our rookie Cops, Firefighters, and Paramedics for things to change. It's hard to change someone's perspectives and thoughts who's been in the same FD for 50 years and is so resistant to change and has fallen into a mindset that is against consolidation and regionalization because it's a concept that takes away from each individuals fiefdom. The newcomers coming on to the emergency service fields are the future of emergency services in Westchester. Whatever mentality they adopt from the time they come in is only going to become more solidified in their minds as the years go on. We can "groom" them to the benefits of consolidation and regionalization and looking at improving the system beyond the borders of their town, and make these individuals more open to the thought of doing such as they move up the ladder, gain more experience, and become more influential. I believe what would really have to happen to see any kind of change in the near future in any way, is pressure from politicians and the public, as well as legislation and more governing powers at the County level to control emergency services. Now I'm not up to the par with the legality of County government being able to control FD or EMS within it's geographic boundaries, so if this is even feasible is beyond my knowledge, I merely stating my opinion.

End of my rant, these are just my personal opinions, some may agree, some may not, but I think the idea of abolishing egos is one that is definitely an uphill battle in a field where egos are as abundant as the stars.

wraftery, x635, JBE and 4 others like this

The people who get into these careers are going to have egos. You need to have a certain personality defect to get excited about making life or death decisions in high pressure situations. It results from a confidence you have in you your ability to be right. Often times 100% right. Not enough of that ego, you become hesitant and ineffective. To much and you cannot be rationalized with and become inflexible to change. You cannot get rid of ego's in any emergency service. They're always going to be there. You just have to encourage a little humility and choose the right leaders.

Move exclusively to robot firefighters. :D

Haven't movies taught you that robots can have emotions too?

Number 9 is alive!

I honestly read this as "How do we get rid of Eggo's in the fire service"... (I need to get out of my office more often.)

Simple, don't shop in the frozen food aisle.

x129K, CFFD117, PEMO3 and 1 other like this

Good question Seth Good luck getting answers :)

I think things will work out in the future==more and better training makes better Officers--better Officers will make better Chiefs... better Chiefs will make better Department better Departments will make smarter Departments. Smarter Departments will ease egos out.

We are not alone all over NYS the fire service is facing the same things.. we will have to compromise and make adjustments or some one will do it for us. We all know it is better to do it our selves then having it forced on us.

The citizens that we are sworn to protect demand that we do the right thing.. they deserve the protection. Think of them first and last.

Haven't movies taught you that robots can have emotions too?

Number 9 is alive!

Don't you mean #5 is alive? And lets not forget "sonny" from I Robot!

Don't you mean #5 is alive? And lets not forget "sonny" from I Robot!

Yes I did. I should have proof read my comment.

I think this kind of puts a little prespective on EGO Thinking.

We can think that we are important with our titles and all the other so called important goodies. But there is probadly nobody more important in this country than the president of the United States. Now, these are the most important people in our country. Can you name them ? If you can then you're really good. Now, how about the Second most important people in our country, the Vice Presidents.

So if you think you're somebody important, just remember most people can't even name the presidents of our country.

And by the way, they pull their pants down to take a $hit just like everybody else does.

We all have a job to do. If its to be in the fire service, so be it. If its to be a LEADER in the fire service, so be it. But nobody is better than anybody else. And no matter how good you might think you are, there's always somebody better. I hate to bust your ego bubble, but it is a fact. So go home and think about that. You are only a small speck in the system.

So sorry if your feelings are hurt, but get over it and get over yourself.

DaRock98 likes this