Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Services Provided By OVAC

17 posts in this topic

I've got some questions based on another thread.

What services does Ossining provide nowadays?

Specifically:

-How many ambulances, how are they staffed, and are they ALS or BLS?

-How many runs per year

-How many active volunteers (enough to fully staff an ambulance?

-How many 36 Medic's do they run?

-How does their company they contract out run? Are their other services?

-What brand ambulance do they use, and what brand is the newest?

-Does their current headquarters fit all the apparatus?

Specifically:

-How many runs per year

Ossining VAC is an ALS level agency providing EMS to the Ossining School District which encompasses the Town and Village of Ossining, as well as parts of New Castle. They are also responsible for the 36-Medic-1 system which provides ALS response to Croton and Briarcliff, and serves as a back-up for OVAC.

#1 - OVAC staffs the 36M1 Fly Car, (1) ALS level ambulance 24/7, and when manpower and staffing permits (1) BLS level ambulance

#2 - Last year OVAC responded to roughly 2200 calls, and the 36M1 Fly Car was right around 1,000 calls for service

#3 - The number of volunteers has dwindled in recent years, but there is still a small core group of dedicated volunteers. Years ago there were several active volunter Paramedics, but now there are no active volunteer Paramedics. The majority of the time, there are not enough volunteers to staff an ambulance on a regular basis, but there are some night crews comprised of dependanble volunteers who show up weekly for their steady shifts

#4 - 36M1 is a solo-paramedic Fly Car, with one paramedic working per tour

#5 - Not quite sure what you mean?

#6 - I believe the ambulances are PL Customs

#7 - The current building can house 3 ambulances and 2 fly cars in the garage. There is a male bunk room, female bunk room each with 3 beds, and a seperate room for the Fly Car medic.

FF398, INIT915 and streetdoc like this

Ossining VAC is an ALS level agency providing EMS to the Ossining School District which encompasses the Town and Village of Ossining, as well as parts of New Castle. They are also responsible for the 36-Medic-1 system which provides ALS response to Croton and Briarcliff, and serves as a back-up for OVAC.

#1 - OVAC staffs the 36M1 Fly Car, (1) ALS level ambulance 24/7, and when manpower and staffing permits (1) BLS level ambulance

#2 - Last year OVAC responded to roughly 2200 calls, and the 36M1 Fly Car was right around 1,000 calls for service

#3 - The nubmer of volunteers has dwindled in recent years, but there is still a small core group of dedicated volunteers. Years ago there were several active volunter Parmaeics, but now there are no active volunteer Paramedics. The majority of the time, there are not enough volunteers to staff an ambulance on a regular basis, but there are some night crews comprised of dependanble volunteers who show up weekly for their steady shifts

#4 - 36M1 is a solo-paramedic Fly Car, with one paramedic working per tour

#5 - Not quite sure what you mean?

#6 - I believe the ambulances are PL Customs

#7 - The current building can house 3 ambulances and 2 fly cars in the garage. There is a male bunk room, female bunk room each with 3 beds, and a seperate room for the Fly Car medic.

OVAC also runs 36 M-2 which is part of the Phelps fly car. They have 3 ambulances, 2 of which are BLS and 1 ALS. You can see all 3 in some of my photos from the Ossining Memorial Day Parade.

OVAC also runs 36 M-2 which is part of the Phelps fly car. They have 3 ambulances, 2 of which are BLS and 1 ALS. You can see all 3 in some of my photos from the Ossining Memorial Day Parade.

There is no staffed 36M2.. there is another Fly Car that OVAC owns and is lettered 36M2. 36M1 and 36M2 vehicles are rotated as 36M1 to prevent wear and tear on any one vehicle, and may be staffed during inclement weather, but it is not a regularly staffed unit.

streetdoc and INIT915 like this

Specifically:

-How many runs per year

photos are by me and © The Westchester Scene Photography

post-20312-0-24604400-1323110157.jpg

post-20312-0-86614600-1323110157.jpg

post-20312-0-45451100-1323110158.jpg

post-20312-0-05596200-1323110159.jpg

post-20312-0-82277900-1323110159.jpg

post-20312-0-40628600-1323110160.jpg

One other comment of correction, the Fly Car system is not a part of Phelps Memorial. Phelps, although very involved with OVAC and the Tri-Village ALS System in terms of oversight, medical direction, and medical oversight, provided financial assistance to OVAC in the purchase of these vehicles, hence the Phelps "advertisement" on the side of the vehicle.

One other comment of correction, the Fly Car system is not a part of Phelps Memorial. Phelps, although very involved with OVAC and the Tri-Village ALS System in terms of oversight, medical direction, and medical oversight, provided financial assistance to OVAC in the purchase of these vehicles, hence the Phelps "advertisement" on the side of the vehicle.

I meant to say it was sponsored by Phelps and even then I got it wrong, lol. It's the 36 M-1 flycar that is sponsored by Phelps. Had to run out and didn't have time to edit that post. Oops!

Thanks, guys. It's interesting to note that Phelps also is part of the consortium that runs Westchester EMS (Stellaris Health), and also has Phelps markings on their ambulance.

As far as the company, don't they have some sort of setup where they call themselves Mid-Hudson EMS or something to that effect, and that is the company that provides the EMT to Croton?

-

The anbulances look like PL Custom out of Manasquan, NJ

Thanks, guys. It's interesting to note that Phelps also is part of the consortium that runs Westchester EMS (Stellaris Health), and also has Phelps markings on their ambulance.

As far as the company, don't they have some sort of setup where they call themselves Mid-Hudson EMS or something to that effect, and that is the company that provides the EMT to Croton?

Mid-Hudson is actually the formal, legal name of the Ambulance District for the Ossining School District (Town/Village of Ossining and parts of New Castle), not a company or other such EMS entity. Croton, in essence, has joined the Ambulance District, where Ossining VAC is essentially the vendor that has been contracted by the Mid-Hudson Ambulance District to provide EMS services for the community the District encompasses.

streetdoc likes this

Mid-Hudson is actually the formal, legal name of the Ambulance District for the Ossining School District (Town/Village of Ossining and parts of New Castle), not a company or other such EMS entity. Croton, in essence, has joined the Ambulance District, where Ossining VAC is essentially the vendor that has been contracted by the Mid-Hudson Ambulance District to provide EMS services for the community the District encompasses.

I asked this in the other thread, but i suppose its applicable here too...is Croton part of any of these entities or is it part of the town of cortlandt?

I asked this in the other thread, but i suppose its applicable here too...is Croton part of any of these entities or is it part of the town of cortlandt?

No, Croton to the best of my knowledge is its own individual entity, although Croton Fire/EMS does cover part of the Town of Cortlandt in it's primary response area.

streetdoc likes this

Replied in the other forum...but croton and buchanan are incorporated villages in the Town of Cortlandt.

No, Croton to the best of my knowledge is its own individual entity, although Croton Fire/EMS does cover part of the Town of Cortlandt in it's primary response area.

According to the Town of Cortlandt website its an incorporated village, along with Buchanan, within the Town of Cortlandt. I'm just curious because i thought the Town of Cortlandt funded their ALS system through the tax rolls...if so, does this mean that Croton is paying twice or would their EMS tax go to their own solution through OVAC?

Just saw you're reply ALS...thanks for fleshing that out for me

Edited by Goose

According to the Town of Cortlandt website its an incorporated village, along with Buchanan, within the Town of Cortlandt. I'm just curious because i thought the Town of Cortlandt funded their ALS system through the tax rolls...if so, does this mean that Croton is paying twice or would their EMS tax go to their own solution through OVAC?

Yes ALS was able to correct me, so I stand corrected (Thanks ALS)... as far as the tax funding, that I have no idea about.

Only residents in the unincorporated section of Cortlandt, which lies outside the Village lines, pay into the Cortlandt ALS District. If you wanted to get really technical, it has always been my opinion that from a purely academic standpoint, the 35/39 Medics should be responding to calls that lie inside the Croton Fire District, but outside the Village line. That's always been my personal take on that, having worked for both OVAC and CRP. But, honestly, it's never really been a big issue for either agency, and the calls always get covered in a timely manner in that part of Cortlandt.

Only residents in the unincorporated section of Cortlandt, which lies outside the Village lines, pay into the Cortlandt ALS District. If you wanted to get really technical, it has always been my opinion that from a purely academic standpoint, the 35/39 Medics should be responding to calls that lie inside the Croton Fire District, but outside the Village line. That's always been my personal take on that, having worked for both OVAC and CRP. But, honestly, it's never really been a big issue for either agency, and the calls always get covered in a timely manner in that part of Cortlandt.

gotcha, thanks for shedding some light on it