Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

Fire district commissioner elections next Tuesday...

45 posts in this topic

One small sidenote. I belive that Fire Commissioners term timeframes are the longest out of any elected position in NY. 5 years is the term. Possibly school board members also are that long, but I think that is is. Not even the President of the United States has a 5 year term.

Although not a NY elected position, United States Senators serve six year terms.

In 30 seconds of googling I found Pleasantville's. On the dept's website, on a local online newpaper, and on the Mount Pleasant Town website.

Fire Commissioner elections are more of a "best person for the job" rather that "they are a Democrat or Republican so I will vote for my party" sort of election.

Often its not the "best person for the job" in fire district elections, its "running unopposed for the 3rd, 4th, 5th time"

Would you rather ready about the hose testing the district did, or the latest sexting scandal at the school district?

Whats the difference? :P

Good points on all levels.

So what does everyone think about the election?

I agree, with seeing my local election was won by two individuals whom (under very bad blood) left the department and came storming back as commissioners.

You see all the politicing and wonder how they make some of this stuff up? The only plus side is their District Attorney is a hard a**, and they prob wont be able to do half the stuff they want to.

Also, we talk about the perks, getting gifts to their buddies.

How can a town allow a fire district to purchase multiple "command vehicle", that literly sit as lawn ordermants in front yards six days out of the week. Since the OIC work out of town and can not leave work for emergencies. While these officers also have the full array of equiment installed in their personal vehicles.

And tell the community how great of training is being conducted, when in fact the training has been less than adaquet, if not absolete.

Please, do not get me wrong in saying that the board should be a room of firefighters; but if you are just looking for revenge, do not put the community at risk to get even.

Thank you and be safe

<br />In 30 seconds of googling I found Pleasantville's.  On the dept's website, on a local online newpaper, and on the Mount Pleasant Town website.

I assume this is the district that you live in? What is the URL of the webpage that you speak of?

For those of you that get allot of your local information by reading the lohud site. You'll notice that you can read all about every election in the county. Here is a challenge, start your stop watch as you click on Lohud.com. Time how long if you can at all find the notice of election for your district. That is without loading a specific search. The clock is ticking.

Also You did not read the original post? You could not mount a specific google search because you would not have the knowledge of an election taking place.

Almost 2000 views and the question is still NOT answered and probably won't be. I.E. 17 votes a secret public election.

Almost 2000 views and the question is still NOT answered and probably won't be. I.E. 17 votes a secret public election.

Although I agree that the elections are not "well publicized", I am not getting your REAL point here. If you are aware that there are elections, and you are so concerned with who is running, then why don't you 1). Run for the position; or 2). Put someone up that you think would do a better job. You can easily go to the NYS Association of Fire Districts website and you can get all the information and timeline as to when petitions have to be filed, etc.

What I am also not getting from reading many of the previous posts, is why would you not want an experienced person, i.e. Ex-Chief as a Commissioner? Would you rather see five John Q. Publics in there that have no knowledge of the fire service and will just nickel and dime everything?

I know that I am very grateful to have Ex-Chiefs on our Board since I have never been affiliated with the fire service. Yes, I have been involved in EMS for 23 years, so I have knowledge of "emergency services", but I know nothing about fighting a fire. Do I bring anything to the table? Yes, I feel I do, having a bookkeeping/construction/administrative background, I am not "just a body" sitting on the Board.

As far as adding the election of Fire Commissioners to the General Election in November, would be fine with me, but will probably never happen.

I am sure you would be pretty hard pressed to find Mr. John Q. Public, "businessman", who gets on the train at 7 a.m., returns home at 7 p.m., who wants to be a Fire Commissioner. If they volunteer for anything, it is usually to coach soccer or Little League for their little "Johnny".

I feel this post is going nowhere. I think it just comes down to someone who, for whatever reason, has it out for Commissioners due to a past incident. Sorry.

jack10562 and gamewell45 like this

How can a town allow a fire district to purchase multiple "command vehicle", that literly sit as lawn ordermants in front yards six days out of the week.

The "Town" has no say in it. Its up to the board of Fire Commissioners and the voters who elected them have the only say. Since in most districts less than 50 votes is what is cast in an election, The people of the "town" have made it clear that they do not care.

I assume this is the district that you live in? What is the URL of the webpage that you speak of?

Also You did not read the original post? You could not mount a specific google search because you would not have the knowledge of an election taking place.

Maybe because if I can't find a specific question you want answered no one else can. And 17 votes doesn't make it a secret election...I knew of every district vote where I used to live. To be quite honest...I didn't vote in a single one...and the fire service is my profession. So if I didn't make the effort..do you really thing anyone else cares, knows or even wants to take the time?

Although I agree that the elections are not "well publicized", I am not getting your REAL point here.  If you are aware that there are elections, and you are so concerned with who is running, then why don't you 1).  Run for the position; or 2).  Put someone up that you think would do a better job.  You can easily go to the NYS Association of Fire Districts website and you can get all the information and timeline as to when petitions have to be filed, etc.What I am also not getting from reading many of the previous posts, is why would you not want an experienced person, i.e. Ex-Chief as a Commissioner?  Would you rather see five John Q. Publics in there that have no knowledge of the fire service and will just nickel and dime everything?I know that I am very grateful to have Ex-Chiefs on our Board since I have never been affiliated with the fire service.  Yes, I have been involved in EMS for 23 years, so I have knowledge of "emergency services", but I know nothing about fighting a fire.  Do I bring anything to the table?  Yes, I feel I do, having a bookkeeping/construction/administrative background, I am not "just a body" sitting on the Board.As far as adding the election of Fire Commissioners to the General Election in November, would be fine with me, but will probably never happen.  I am sure you would be pretty hard pressed to find Mr. John Q. Public, "businessman", who gets on the train at 7 a.m., returns home at 7 p.m., who wants to be a Fire Commissioner.  If they volunteer for anything, it is usually to coach soccer or Little League for their little "Johnny".I feel this post is going nowhere.  I think it just comes down to someone who, for whatever reason, has it out for Commissioners due to a past incident.  Sorry.

Not for Commissioners but for the system. As long as the people that are in charge (Commissioners)make the election rules(time, and place)things can be steered in any direction they want. Our election times have expanded over the years. That's good. Some people here still must travel over 10 miles of holiday shopper choked roads to possible wait out in the cold to vote. Thats not good

I have been involved with the EMS and Fire service for 40 years and have watched as different Commissioners come and go, some good, some bad, and some real bad. I watched once as my local district was systematically disassembled and not progress because of petty politics, the newer commissioners are still rebuilding and in these tight times it is no small feat. Until recently I was not eligible to run for office because of my job. Now I am retired and looking at leaving the area and will not able to commit to a five year term.

All well SNAFU Status Quo

<br />Maybe because if I can't find a specific question you want answered no one else can.  And 17 votes doesn't make it a secret election...I knew of every district vote where I used to live. To be quite honest...I didn't vote in a single one...and the fire service is my profession. So if I didn't make the effort..do you really thing anyone else cares, knows or even wants to take the time?<br />

Alas, you are correct. People don't care till they need us. That's why we will never progress.

QUOTE:

As long as the people that are in charge (Commissioners)make the election rules(time, and place)things can be steered in any direction they want.

New York State makes the laws as to the time/date of the election, not the fire districts. It is true that the fire district does choose the location. For my district, it is in the fire house, right in the center of town.

<br />QUOTE:<br />As long as the people that are in charge (Commissioners)make the election rules(time, and place)things can be steered in any direction they want.<br /><br />   New York State makes the laws as to the time/date of the election, not the fire districts.    It is true that the fire district does choose the location.  For my district, it is in the fire house, right in the center of town.<br />

Sorry. Our voting times have been changed to 3pm -9pm by resolution of the commissioners, also our Treasurer is appointed and not elected.

<br />QUOTE:<br />As long as the people that are in charge (Commissioners)make the election rules(time, and place)things can be steered in any direction they want.<br /><br />   New York State makes the laws as to the time/date of the election, not the fire districts.    It is true that the fire district does choose the location.  For my district, it is in the fire house, right in the center of town.<br />

This is my last post on this subject. You can take your shots.

The elections are over the 17 have voted.

Edited by Healz

Not for Commissioners but for the system. As long as the people that are in charge (Commissioners)make the election rules(time, and place)things can be steered in any direction they want. Our election times have expanded over the years. That's good. Some people here still must travel over 10 miles of holiday shopper choked roads to possible wait out in the cold to vote. Thats not good

I have been involved with the EMS and Fire service for 40 years and have watched as different Commissioners come and go, some good, some bad, and some real bad. I watched once as my local district was systematically disassembled and not progress because of petty politics, the newer commissioners are still rebuilding and in these tight times it is no small feat. Until recently I was not eligible to run for office because of my job. Now I am retired and looking at leaving the area and will not able to commit to a five year term.

All well SNAFU Status Quo

Your second to last sentence sums up why most people won't run...time. And while you definiitely make some valid points, I feel you are making general statements about fire districts. When I ran last year I had two opponents, one happened to be a well intended, non-fire service member who simply wanted to get involved.

Short-term leaders and long-term problems. This is one of the reasons that we have such problems. Chiefs and agendas change every two years; commissioners may or may not be able to influence change in a single term and the apathy, complacency and resistance of the members themselves contribute further to the problem.

When and where we vote for commissioners is only an incidental part of the problem. We need to rebuild the system from the top down, bottom up, and in every direction and not many people are willing or able to do that.

We need a strategic vision with a regional perspective that can be used as the template for a "master plan" but those that lobby for change are usually overrun by those seeking the status quo. It's a real catch-22.

[/sigh]