Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R1SmokeEater

Elizabeth, NJ (2) 3rd Alarms on Christmas

18 posts in this topic

Could it be the War Years in Elizabeth?

Elizabeth firefighters have really had their hands full lately. Wednesday there was a HUGE fire in an industrial building. A multi-story building that occupies several square blocks. EFD was reportedly still overhauling the building on Saturday and supposedly still has crews there today.

http://newyork.cbslo...-still-burning/

Yeah, amazing it's still burning. I think they had a similar fire a while back in Jersey City that burned for 10 days!

I have a Buddy that's a Capt of EFD R1- Elizabeth is a busy job (as are most of the North Jersey FDs) EFD is also very involved in the NJ/NY UASI/USAR operations.

They definitely have had their share lately!

I have a Buddy that's a Capt of EFD R1- Elizabeth is a busy job (as are most of the North Jersey FDs) EFD is also very involved in the NJ/NY UASI/USAR operations.

They definitely have had their share lately!

They've had four multi-alarm fires in the past month, including the one that's ongoing.

Also, for those who don't know, Elizabeth is a major city in NJ located just south of Newark in Union County. It is a compact city that has a population of 124,969 living in 12.3 square miles. The EFD operates out of 7 Fire Stations with a fire apparatus fleet of 7 Engines, 3 Ladders, a Rescue, a Tac. Rescue, a Special Operations Unit, a Collapse Unit, as well as many other Special Ops. Units. They have a DC and a Battalion Chief on duty 24/7, I believe.

This is completely off-topic but I have a buddy (FDNY Ret.) who occasionally used to go over to an Elizabeth firehouse on Sunday mornings with some of the guys he worked with in the City. They used to have breakfast with the Elizabeth firefighters and their Boss. They were all buddies.

Yeah, Elizabeth certainly sees their share of jobs. I wouldn't mind working there myself: it's a relatively small urban area that's not too busy, but

you still catch work. It seems that EFD operates at multiples in a short time than Newark and Jersey City, although it's half the size.

Edited by sfrd18

How much mutual aid did this require? What about the regular city staffing? If everyone's called in, who's covering the next shift.

Wow, EFD really earned their pay this year!

Chris, I believe 1st job was all EFD w/ Union M/A, 2nd job was alot (maybe 6 co's) of M/A w/ freed up EFD from 1st job in too....here's more:

efdcapt115 likes this