Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joetnymedic

Spice is back - they skirted the system :(

7 posts in this topic

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/spice-makers-alter-recipes-to-sidestep-state-laws-banning-synthetic-marijuana/2011/11/30/gIQA6gpHNP_story.html

“Spice” is back.

Just months after Virginia and dozens of other states banned synthetic marijuana, the chemists who make it have found a way to outfox lawmakers.

Spice manufacturers, who spray herbs with compounds that mimic the active ingredient in marijuana, have altered their recipes just enough to skirt the bans and are again openly marketing spice in stores and on the Web. Some users report that the new generation of products could be more potent than the original formulas, which have sickened hundreds nationwide and been linked to deaths.

Wikipedia: Spice aka Synthetic Cannabis

Gotta love entrepreneurialship in a democratic free enterprise system.

BFD1054 likes this

How about the irony of efforts to stop it only made it stronger. Maybe legalize the real stuff, regulate it, and tax it so we can move on to real problems.

Edited by ny10570
EMTDelta likes this

I'm not sure whether I agree with legalizing marijuana but I'm certainly not against it. This synthetic stuff, however, seems to be much more dangerous. I've brought in more patients under the influence of this synthetic stuff in the last 2 months than I have under marijuana (non-laced) in 5 years.

This is a long-standing problem with synthetic drugs. As soon as the legislation is passed outlawing the chemical compound, the druggies simply change the compound slightly and voila, they're not violating the law anymore.

Stop bothering with this crap. Focus on making it legal. You still get to arrest people for driving under the influence, you still get to have your rehab clinics. Its just like alcohol(sorta). As someone who has no real use for weed, synthetic or real, i think we have bigger fish to fry these days. People will always find some other way to get high. Anyone know why whipped cream in a bottle is not illegal yet? I mean any 10 yo can buy that stuff.

x129K likes this