Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Westchester Seasonal Park Rangers 2012

3 posts in this topic

Just Posted today:

The Department of Public Safety is now accepting applications for seasonal park rangers. All applications must be received by Feb. 14, 2012.

Uniformed park rangers work under the supervision of county police officers to maintain a safe and enjoyable atmosphere in the county’s parks. They assist park users, provide information on park rules and procedures, help in searches for lost children, perform basic first aid on occasion and make regular security checks of buildings and facilities.

First-time park rangers are paid $14 hourly. Salaries are higher for those who have worked as a ranger for the county before. To qualify, applicants must be a high school graduate, at least 19 years of age, a resident of Westchester County and possess a valid New York State driver’s license by the time of appointment. Accepted candidates must attend a two-week training program at the Westchester County Police Academy.

Public Safety Commissioner George Longworth said that many police officers in Westchester, including himself, had their first exposure to a law enforcement career by working as a park ranger. “By receiving Police Academy training and working under the supervision of county police officers, park rangers get a unique view into law enforcement and the career opportunities that exist,” he said.

Link to info

Application

How competitive is this job? I submitted my application last week via mail and am also in the process of applying for several other seasonal law enforcement type jobs in different states. Will my fire/ems training benefit me in the selection process? Any help or suggestions would be great.

post-4072-0-07851000-1326723377.jpg

The county requires you have a basic education for this job.

post-4072-0-65252700-1326723397.jpg

When I was younger I considered it, but after the training films (they were commonly shown on Saturday mornings in the 1960/70's) I did not know if I had the desire to deal with the trouble makers in the parks.

post-4072-0-98371300-1326723703.jpg

The clincher that it was not the job for me was when the public schools taught us about the 2nd ammendment and the right to arm bears.