Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Policies Regarding Taking Apparatus Off Road

10 posts in this topic

Every week, there is a question like I'm about to ask in a Texas Fire Service website., which I'm getting some interesting discussions out of here. Some Chiefs ask for this on the site, then I link them to this thread and they really like it.

So,

Does any department have policies regarding taking apparatus off road to access an incident?

Driver's discretion. Don't park somewhere you can't afford to be stuck.

Driver's discretion. Don't park somewhere you can't afford to be stuck.

Depends. Sometimes you just need to worry about the tow later, and get the job immediately done right.

I can think of a couple spots where I would rather beach my engine in the rear of a property where there's a hydrant to make a quick attack and worry about getting it towed out later, rather then stretching almost 600 - 1000' of hose line to the fire...

Depends. Sometimes you just need to worry about the tow later, and get the job immediately done right.

I can think of a couple spots where I would rather beach my engine in the rear of a property where there's a hydrant to make a quick attack and worry about getting it towed out later, rather then stretching almost 600 - 1000' of hose line to the fire...

Good Answer. I have seen ladders planted up to the axle in front lawn. They used the ladder over the cab and managed to get the job done...then got the heavy wreaker to get it out.

On the other hand, I watched a NYC EMS bus at Orchard Beech get stuck on the beech at low tide.......they did not free it until after the tide had come in and the water was up to the windows.

On the other hand, I watched a NYC EMS bus at Orchard Beech get stuck on the beech at low tide.......they did not free it until after the tide had come in and the water was up to the windows.

should be investing in one of these next...

post-172-0-57537700-1326858822.jpg

JetPhoto and firedude like this

Exactly, stuck isn't necessarily a bad thing. But if you're an engine don't go off road and block access to one of the exposures. Once a rig is stuck it will likely be there for the duration.

Was that the crew that was enjoying the view? Its happened more than once.

I have beached apparatus off road many times. Front yard, back yard, neighbors yard, you name it. I haven't seen a stuck rig that was scrapped on site yet because a wrecker(s) couldn't yank it out.

Watch out for septic tanks though. Don't assume that they are in a logical place and don't assume that just because a lot is vacant that the previous structure's septic isn't still in place.

JohnnyOV likes this

Edited by mfc2257

Watch out for septic tanks though. Don't assume that they are in a logical place and don't assume that just because a lot is vacant that the previous structure's septic isn't still in place.

Great point. Just because the home is tied into the domestic water system, and using sewers to waste removal, doesn't mean that there isn't an old cesspool or disbanded well hidden under the lawn. Places like Long Island are riddled with them, and jacking a truck on top of them could lead to disastrous results.