Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAKE 1075

Structural ff Gloves, What are You or Dept. using ?

Preferred FF Gloves   25 members have voted

1. 1. What are You or Dept. using ?

• Eskas
    • Pro-Tech
    • Dragon
    • Tempo
    • Firemens Shield
    • Superglove
    • Shelby
    • Fireguard Commander
    • Other: Please discuss below

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 posts in this topic

I am seeking info from everyone on this site as to what brand of structural ff gloves are you presently using ? Either personal purchase or Dept. issued ?

My dept is looking to research some of the brands out there. I am helping out with the research and any help in information would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know about any repair issues,defects,burns, the dexterity of use,length of service of product,whether gauntlet or wristlet style gloves ? Would you or your dept. continue to purchase or seek newer or different brand? We have in the past sought gloves from vendors to put into a wear trial test and will probally pursue this testing again in our help to seek out what is best for our dept. and budget.

Once again I thanyou for your help! :):)

I have a set of "Firemens Shield". They aren't bad. Better mobility than other gloves I have had.

I personally bought the American Firewear "Superglove" I love it. Decent dexterity, good comfort, liner doesn't get pulled out when they are wet.

My department used ProTech Titans. All the guys seem to like them and I personally like them as well. They have the best dexterity out of any gloves that I have worn and have held up pretty good over the past 2 years.

We've been using Tempo and love them. Only issue is you have to but the direct.

I use the Pro-tech gloves and love them... My dept issues the Dragon gloves but they seem to wear out and rip quick so now we are buying a batch of the pro-tech gloves to try out. I definitely recommend them to anyone.

,whether gauntlet or wristlet style gloves ?

I bought Eska's personally and like them.Effing expensive, though.

With regards to gauntlet or wristlet style, this is dependent on how the cuffs on your turnout coats are spec'd.

If the cuffs are short you must use gauntlet gloves. If the cuffs are long you should use the wristlet gloves.

I created a reader Poll for this topic using responses thus far, please "vote" for your favorite, and if you have a preference that's not listed, please post and I'll add it to the choices!

Tell us about any pros / cons you found with these.

Thanks!

If money is no object, Eska all the way, next best is protech, anything else is a set back to the oven mitts of yesteryear. The more dexterity you get the better the contact between the liner and your skin, which is why some have complained about the removal of the pro-tech with a wet or sweaty hand.

With regards to gauntlet or wristlet style, this is dependent on how the cuffs on your turnout coats are spec'd.

If the cuffs are short you must use gauntlet gloves. If the cuffs are long you should use the wristlet gloves.

I think you have this backwards.

Personally, I've been wearing gloves by Shelby for the past 10-12 years. Currently using the model with the blue koala palm side and off-white kevlar back and reflective finger tips. Gauntlet style. Been wearing them for 2-3 years now, no complaints other than they could use a little more stretch in the elastic wrist. Definitely one of the best gloves I've ever used.

I have the Pro-Tech Gloves they are black in color and are Gauntlet style. The model I can't recall. They are the middle of the line gloves in the Protech lineup. I just cant afford the $100 gloves the city of Stamford does not replace those type of gloves. The city hands out the Blue older FDNY style glove (the name escapes me).

I have put them thru lots of calls so far, And they didn't break the bank.

The biggest thing I like the best about them is when they are wet they still go on easy.

Edited by lad45der

I have the Pro-Tech Gloves they are black in color and are Gauntlet style. The model I can't recall. They are the middle of the line gloves in the Protech lineup. I just cant afford the $100 gloves the city of Stamford does not replace those type of gloves. The city hands out the Blue older FDNY style glove (the name escapes me).

I have put them thru lots of calls so far, And they didn't break the bank.

The biggest thing I like the best about them is when they are wet they still go on easy.

Fire Guard Commander gloves.

Our Department uses a variety of gloves, but I still prefer the Fire Guard Commander.

Edited by Fireman488
jack10562 likes this

I have only been a member for the last 15 years, which compared to some of the people here is not long. Yet, over those years I have tried probably 90% of the gloves listed above. The last two years I have been using the Pro-tech, and have keep with ever since. I only carry two pairs since I usually drench one and I have a back up. Otherwise I have had them both since I purchased them. They are durable, the liner does not slip out, very manuverable, and warm. I have yet to find a flaw yet. Unless you could the wrist strap flipping over when your pulling them from your pocket. Otherwise a definite A+ glove.

Hello and thanks for the feedback on my topic posted. In regards to gauntlet or wristlet gloves ,my dept will issue them in regards to what turnout we have such as coats with wristlet with thumbhole those users can use gauntlet gloves. Other ffs who have standard cuffs they are issued wristlet style gloves.

The Eska gloves are they made in the USA or foreign country ? and do they meet our NFPA OSHA requirements ?

The Fireguard Commander gloves are they made by Hansen Industry of Ohio ? I had heard that possibly they might be making gloves for Lion Apparel ? I am not sure but maybe some of our readers would know, did the Pro-Tech gloves have any issues with them in the past ? I have experienced the following gloves in the past Shelbys,Americanfireware,Dragonfire,. The Shelbys were very stiff, the Americanfireware and Dragonslayer were excellent wearing golves all around . :)

I think you have this backwards.

Personally, I've been wearing gloves by Shelby for the past 10-12 years. Currently using the model with the blue koala palm side and off-white kevlar back and reflective finger tips. Gauntlet style. Been wearing them for 2-3 years now, no complaints other than they could use a little more stretch in the elastic wrist. Definitely one of the best gloves I've ever used.

Yep, I had it backwards. My bad. The point though, is that a certain glove style goes with a certain cuff style.