Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

NYPD Transit radio upgrade(finally)

20 posts in this topic

Hopefully it works, our radio network is horrible. We are still using the old Motorola Sabers, and it is getting harder and harder to get batteries and repairs done on them. A lot of work to the radio network was done just prior to the Republican National Convention in 2004. That was a complete failure.

Hopefully it works, our radio network is horrible. We are still using the old Motorola Sabers, and it is getting harder and harder to get batteries and repairs done on them. A lot of work to the radio network was done just prior to the Republican National Convention in 2004. That was a complete failure.

Still with the sabers? Jeeze. Our guys up here in Westchester get bent over a little static, and I have to remind myself that in Transit I had solo posts where most of my stations had radio malfunctions. Not to toot my own horn, but in the summer of '01 me and two of our RMP guys were getting an award at a Compstat meeting for making a collar on a street caper that ended up in transit. The RMP guys (who had the city radio in the car but were on the other side of the command) heard a heavy precinct job had the presence of mind to relay it over the Transit radio, just as the perp literally walked right by me at the booth. I remember Chief Ansbro talking to the three of us on the side and saying "boys, we'll all be long gone before they ever sort out this radio mess".....how unfortunately true.

Marked'NYCTPD', for New York City Transit Police, which ceased to exist after the hostile takeover, I mean merge of 1995.

post-917-0-06365300-1327841952.jpg

Edited by grumpyff
x129K likes this

We have been hearing the new Transit portable radios will be deployed within the next week or two. We are also being told that each radio will be personally assigned to an officer, with that officer's tax number coming up during a transmission as an identifier.

1330381236' post='259435']

We have been hearing the new Transit portable radios will be deployed within the next week or two. We are also being told that each radio will be personally assigned to an officer, with that officer's tax number coming up during a transmission as an identifier.

What's the rationale for unique ID numbers for each individual PO? Accountability?

Any integration with EMS more then messaging between dispatchers?

Grumpy are you telling me the days of "Can I get a time check central" are coming to an end lol

Can someone explain to me what: "Firefighters responding to the subways typically bring their own heavy-duty transmitters with them so they can communicate with those above ground." means?

Every NYC police officer has two numbers, their shield number and a tax number. The public sees your shield number, which can change by promotion, or a lost shield. Your tax number is always yours. It is used to identify officers in the dept. Computer systems, payroll, dept forms, etc. Your tax number is also used on the roll calls, which are entered into the computer so the dispatcher has the ability to see who is answering jobs, collaring, etc. With the new portables the dispatcher will be able to immediately see who is transmiting. As far as I know, right now there will be no change to the way the different agencies interact. FDNY portables do not work with Transit authority or PD Transit Bureau repeaters so they often use multiple members to re-broadcast a message from subway platform to the street. FDNY also has a system in some stations that allows units to plug into and communicate to the street via a hardwired phone system.

Sadly yes, with the new radios, it will be hard for members to make unauthorized radio transmissions such portable check by the numbers(inspections is in the area), chewbacca noises, and other funny comments.

Edited by grumpyff

Fdny Has 4 means of subway communications

1 hardwired sound powered phones installed with the standpipe

2 a two channel repeter system in each station

3 the 40watt post radios

4 the radio relay called CORE. Chauffeur, ov, roof, and engine boss

FDNY EMS, not be out done has their own subway communication system. Send the rookie back to the surface, find a pay phone, or ask transit to relay a message. Its a lovely system.

grumpyff, x129K and comical115 like this

With the new portables the dispatcher will be able to immediately see who is transmiting. As far as I know, right now there will be no change to the way the different agencies interact.

Sadly yes, with the new radios, it will be hard for members to make unauthorized radio transmissions such portable check by the numbers(inspections is in the area), chewbacca noises, and other funny comments.

When I left in '02, I had a portable assigned to me. It wasn't automatic but if they wanted to find out if I had transmitted something, they could.

Different agencies? What about different bureaus of the same agency? I can't tell you how many times I'd be fixed on a plat or by the booth minding my own business and half a precinct would come running up to me looking for the "unconfirmed 10-13 in transit" that came over the street radios. And of course, we'd get it 10-15 minutes later from our central. :rolleyes:

The best "unauthorized transmission" I heard was "District XX portable, central...Can you raise the ICO?, I believe he just left the command" So much for silly codewords.

The new radios will have precinct frequencies in them, so that we can switch over if need be. Current Vertex radios used in the precincts have the capability to monitor, but not transmit on Transit frequencies :unsure: (precinct are UHF, Transit is VHF) My first two commands Transit Manhattan Task Force, and TD 1 issued radios to the officers. My current command, TD 12 does not have enough radios to individually issue them, so we must sign one out every tour. Since it is not your personal radio, no one takes care of them, and they are in poor condition. Antennas are often broken, threads stripped and knobs missing.

Islander, after you left, sometime around 2006 the Transit CAD was replaced with the Sprint system used topside. That cut down on a lot of the delay in getting heavy jobs to both Transit and Precincts radios. Only problem now is we in Transit often get notified for jobs like robberies, assaults in progress, burglaries, etc that are no where close to any subway station. No more "Central can I get the CN"

I always love when the dispatchers think there is a problem with the radio network. Often you hear central "Can any unit in the field advise how you read central" The replies can be hilarious, "like a book central", "left to right", "hooked on phonics central"

Edited by grumpyff
FFLieu and ny10570 like this

The new radios are finally in. Motorola APX7000 capable of transmiting on both uhf and vhf frequencies covering all transit Nd precinct frequencies. The antennas are very long, and we have been told not to bend them, it will break it.

The antennas are very long, and we have been told not to bend them, it will break it.

I give the antennas two weeks. :)

New and old side by side.

Good luck with the new radios grumpy. Hope this helps you with safer ops.

I love the Sabers. I still use one up here in the Albany area., but of course will need replacing by the Narrowband Date. The new APXs are becoming very popular, the NYSP and another county use them up here. They do make stubby antennas for the APXs.

So far so good. Transmissions are a little clearer although there is a delay. we've noticed a slight echo when you transmit if you're near another unit. as for the antennas we were told we have to use the larger 1 since we are dual band. not sure what the crime guys are going to do with the antennas, with the sabers they use to bend it over and rubberband it the body

Actually doing a little research they don't have a stubby for VHF/UHF, which sucks, that thing is HUGE! I think you guys will like them, those radios are a big step up from it's predecessors, but wicked expensive.