Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAM502

Marine units...

31 posts in this topic

Well seeing as how it is that time of year when it is starting to get nice again, I thought I would pose a question.

What departments have a Marine unit? What is the staffing on the boat? What kind of Boat? What gear does it carry? What sort of training do you need to work on the boat? Etc...

Any info would be appreciated. Thanx.

HUDSON RIVER:

Yonkers Police

Yonkers Fire

Tarrytown Fire

Irvington Fire

Greenbergh Police

Peekskill Fire

Ossining Fire

Various Coast Guard Auxiliary units

Missing Any?

On the LI Sound:

New Rochelle Police: 2 boats

Town of Mam'k Fire: 2 boats(on trailers)

Village of Mam'k Fire: 1 Boat

Village of Mam'k Police: 2 Boats

Rye Fire: 1 Boat

Rye Police: 2 (maybe 3) Boats

In addition, Sea Tow has a handful of emergency equiptment and will usually be one of the first to respond.

DFFD- Didn't DFPD just get a boat? I thought I saw something in the Enterprise a while back...

On the Hudson River I believe basically every FD has some type of Marine Unit. The following is a list of Marine Units that I am aware of:

Tarrytown FD- Fire Boat

Irvington FD- Fire Boat

Ossining FD- Fire Boat

Croton FD- Fire Boat, and small rescue boat

Montrose VAFD- 19' rescue boat. carries various EMS equipment etc. No firefighting equipment. Primary fucntion is RESCUE.

Montrose FD- Rescue boat, zodiac

Buchanan FD- Rescue boat

Verplanck FD- believe small fire boat

MISSING ANYONE??!!?

This is a waste of manpower, these police officers should be patrolling on land, If there is a need for police depts. on the river's it should be either New York State Police or Westchester County Police. Just a Thought #-o Maybe even the Coast Gaurd- not local police because they just don't have the manpower or money. 8-[

If they didnt have the manpower or money then they wouldnt be doing it! ](*,)

We have a Marine unit--not in the water though. Our former police boat is now our "fire" boat. Haven't used it in quite some time though. 24-Marine-1 as it is designated by Putnam County

You can never have enough help on the sound or on the Hudson. The More the better.

HEAT, can anyone say Homeland Security CASH COW?

Maybe even the Coast Guard

They have a boat for LI Sound that's moored up at Kings Point, LI. As for Hudson River assets, the closest boats are coming out of SI, and a bunch of cutters(Harbor tugs and Buoy Tenders) out of Bayonne. It's one of those situations where the local police/fire departments have enough units in the area to handle quickly. Besides, I don't think they can afford to put anything up there.

I work on the Sound and I can tell you that local PD and Fire are essential. The response time for the Coast Gaurd can be a long time. Those guys are spread very thin. It could be 30 or 40 minutes for a response. It could be less, but it could easily be that long.

I work on the Sound and I can tell you that local PD and Fire are essential.  The response time for the Coast Gaurd can be a long time.  Those guys are spread very thin.  It could be 30 or 40 minutes for a response.  It could be less, but it could easily be that long.

Wow talk about border security, but thats another issue. :-k

Thanx for the info guys. What about:

What is the staffing on the boat? What kind of Boat? What gear does it carry? What sort of training do you need to work on the boat? Etc...

IN TARRYTOWN, ANY DEPARMENT MEMBER WHO WANTS TO BE ON THE CREW OF MARINE 5 THEY HAVE TO TAKE A COAST GUARD COURSE CALLED THE BS&S(]BOATING SAFTEY AND SEAMENSHIP) COURSE. WE ARE ALSO A RESCUE BOAT SO EVERY ONE IS TRAINED IN C P R AND FIRST AID.

You can never have enough help on the sound or on the Hudson. The More the better.

This Greenburgh PD Marine is using police officer's off of street patrol, They aren't adding manpower- so street patrol's are being sacaficed for the river patrol. Where is the sense. This river patrol should be sponsored by New York State or Westchester County :-k

Sleepy Hollow - Fire Boat 7 and boat 12

Correction. SLeepy has MARINE 7, a fire boat with a pump, and MARINE 27 a small boat on a trailer. they both are out of service more than in service.

I heard that Greenburgh found out by accident that they are responsible for the river. The boat was donated by the US Coast Guard. Stiloski's Towing repainted it from the Coast Guard colors to its current blue paint scheme.

Westchester Co PD does have a boat, but I believe it is sitting on a trailer @WCPD HQ in Hawthorne. I believe it used to be docked in Tarrytown but it no longer is b/c WCPD doesn't have the manpower to staff for regular patrols.

Anyone feel free to rip that apart b/c i'm not sure how much of that is totally factual.

I heard that Greenburgh found out by accident that they are responsible for the river. The boat was donated by the US Coast Guard.
Don't forget Yonkers PD are out there too along with Rockland County Sheriff and USCG. So it's not just GPD

I heard that Greenburgh found out by accident that they are responsible for the river. The boat was donated by the US Coast Guard. Stiloski's Towing repainted it from the Coast Guard colors to its current blue paint scheme. 

Westchester Co PD does have a boat, but I believe it is sitting on a trailer @WCPD HQ in Hawthorne. I believe it used to be docked in Tarrytown but it no longer is b/c WCPD doesn't have the manpower to staff for regular patrols.

Anyone feel free to rip that apart b/c i'm not sure how much of that is totally factual.

They all of a sudden found out ,, i doubt it.. that does not sound to logical. and the boat is a former stiloski tow boat painted blue by him. who is responsible for donating/paying for it i don't know.

Buchanan Marine-26 is an approximately 17' bow-rider with a portable pump on-board. Aside from the pump, it doesn't carry much equipment on it, aside form radios. The boat is kept on a trailer behind our HQ. If it is requested, the boat is towed by our Rescue truck (R-26) to our local boat ramp where it will be deployed. The boat is kept under a pavilion, thus the reason for us not keeping more equipment on it. All the equipment that we could need is kept on the Rescue truck & will be placed on the boat if/when neccessary for a call. Our rescue carries various EMS equipment, backboards, ropes (rescue & utility), radios & an AED. Another nice thing is that we have about 10 EMTs in the Dept. 4 out of our 7 officers are EMTs & the rest of our EMTs are all pretty active members. Unfortunately, we are NEVER called, always looked over :sad: . That is why we want some more guys to get marine training so we can let 60-Control know how many trained personnel we have, including EMTs. We can also update them on equipment that we have/carry so that they can put it into the CAD.

We would like our active guys to take some water/marine/boat training & safety courses. Anyone know of any upcomming classes on this topic?

The Montrose FD used to have (2) marine units & they still may. They have a small zodiac & they had a fishing boat that was donated to them. That boat was approx. 15-16' with a center console, a Boston Whaler i believe.

I thought some might get a laugh out of this.....I know of a guy in a department who has a license to operate ships up to 500tons, and has a degree from a Maritime college. His degree included a 6 credit marine firefighting class (100 hours). His department told him he "was not qualified" to be on their boat (like 25') when he tried to help out at a call.

DFFD, i never meant it to seem like it was only GPD who is out there on the river. I'm sorry if i made it seem that way.

Truckie Buff, like i said that was what i heard. I heard that it was at some kind of conference or something like that. Just the way i heard the boat was ex-USCG.

Thanks for the corrections and info guys!! =D>

On the Hudosn River I beleive basically every FD has some type of Marine Unit.

Verplanck FD- believe small fire boat

Verplanck Big Boat is Still Out of Service but we do have a small motor boat on a trailer ready to go at any time

Hope We get the big boat fixed or get a new one soon note to sure what is going on with the Big boat at this time

dont want to miss to many years off of the Hudson.

How many boats would it take to properly secure all waterways in the state of New York?

New York waterways include Federal (water runs between two sates of from state into international waters), State (land-locked body of water falling under jurisdiction of New York State Department of Parks, NYC DEC/Watershed), County (bodies of water encompassed by county owned land) and local (bodies of water owned by single local jurisdiction- "town lake").

So think of every waterway in the state. How many State and USCG boats and personel would it take to cover them all? Who would have jurisdiction where? Should the State be responsible for federal waterways? Should the federal government be responsible for state waterways?

The City of Yonkers has 4.5 miles of waterfront property. Who should be responsible for it? If an EDP jumps into the river, should they call the Coast Guard? If there's a fire on the river, should they call the state police?

The State of New York, Department of Homeland Security and the US Coast Guard make available funding, training, and equipment (including boats) for departments to help them established a presence on the water, waters that in some cases should be the responsibility of the local government. many departments accross the country take advantage of these programs to not only protect thier own communities, but also help out on multi-jurisdictional waterways.

In regards to the Yonkers Waterway along the Hudson, both YPD and YFD have Marine Units that would be activated should an issue arise where someone or something happened along the Hudson within the boudries of Yonkers

DON'T FORGET ABOUT PUTNAM COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT. THEY HAVE ONE BOAT ASSIGNED TO LAKE OSCAWANA IN PUTNAM VALLEY AND ONE BOAT AND WAVE RUNNER ASSIGNED TO THE HUDSON RIVER, (WHICH CAN USUALLY BE FOUND BETWEEN COLD SPRING AND INDIAN POINT). BOTH BOATS ARE I/S ON THE WEEKENDS AND FOR ANY TYPE OF EMERGENCY. THE MONEY COMES OUT OF GRANTS SO IT'S OVERTIME FOR THE GUYS AND THE ROAD PATROL IS NOT AFFECTED. ALSO WE IN MAHOPAC FALLS HAVE A BOAT AND SOON A HOVER CRAFT TO ASSIST OUR DIVE TEAM!

one of the best equipted boats in the northern westchester area is 18 marine from stony point,it has an on board pump with deluge guns and is available,it was purchased last year with a price tag of over $200k.when it comes to the river help from other depts is a must. if a jurisdiction gets a report of a river incident (fire,boating mishap etc) more than one dept should be sent. the marine association of westchester was organized a few years ago to better coordinate any incidents out there but the unfortunate thing is that some of the Incident commanders out there wait to see "what they got out there" before they activate the plan. i personally have been on the river for over 20 yrs as a fisherman and have been involved with some serious rescues with life threatening injurys that could have been tragic if myself and other pleasure boaters didn't get involved. its important for all depts to know who is available and what they are available with.police agencys should also be more aware of who and what is available.depts must realize that the vessel that they might have may not be sea worthy out there at certain times. a 17' boat does not belong out there when conditions are bad. it does get bad out there and to put 3 firefighters in a row boat with 30knot winds out of the NW will only put those members in harms way.some depts have done the right thing with up grading to sea worthy rescue boats,hats off to you guys! it can get real bad out there and its no ball game. i might have opened a can of worms here but it could be a good thread. be safe-hudson

AS FAR AS ENFORCEMENT GOES, THERE IS A DEFIDENT NEED FOR A POLICE PRESENCE ON THE HUDSON RIVER. YONKERS POLICE OPERATE A POLICE BOAT, WHICH GENERALLY COVERS ANY EMERGENCIES FROM THE GW TO THE TAPPAN ZEE. THE COUNTY POLICE ALTHOUGH STRAPPED WITH A CONSTANT BUDGET CRUNCH, GENERALLY COVER FROM THE TZ, TO THE BEAR MOUNTAIN BRIDGE. THE ROCKLAND COUNTY SHERIFFS DEPT COVERS THE ROCKLAND SIDE FROM PIERMONT UP. YONKERS PROVIDES ENFORCEMENT ON ITS WATERFRONT AND HAS BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL IN ISSUING, HUNDREDS OF SUMMONS, ARRESTS FOR BWI AND TRAFFICKING OF NARCOTICS AS WELL AS PROVIDING SAFETY FOR EVENTS ON THE WATER SUCH AS SWINS, BOAT RACES, KAYAK EVENTS ETC. THE MEMBERS OF THE MARINE UNIT HAVE BEEN CITED WITH MANY AWARDS FOR LIFESAVING AND ASSISTANCE TO DISABLE VESSELS AND OTHER WATER EMERGENCIES. THE NEED FOR AN ENFORCEMENT UNIT IS THERE. THE NEED FOR THE FD UNITS IS ALSO THERE.