Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lt411

Bunker gear (PPE) replacement

11 posts in this topic

In working on our budget for the next few years in the future, we are trying to come up with a replacement cycle for bunker gear. I can't find a "specific age to replace" gear in the NFPA standards. Are there any depts that replace their bunker gear at a specific age, or just when it fails yearly inspection?

Thanks for your input, as always!

I believe NFPA says 10 years...Im sure Bnechis will chime in

I was never actually shown the NFPA document that said it, but Wallingford goes off of a 10 year replacement. No PPE can be in service for interior firefighting beyond that point. (EMS-only members can grab an expired coat for warmth if they so choose, but usually the Explorers get the OOS gear for their training regimen.)

We use the 10 year cycle for all interior firefighters. After the 10 year mark they either get transfered over to the exterior members or declared surplus depending on the condition.

I belive the new guiedlines call for annual inspection and cleaning of gear. In the third year the gear must be cleaned inspected and tested. After 10 year the gear must be turned over and new gear issued.

10 years is the life span per the new standard. Three things are killing gear that might go under the radar.One overwashing the gear. You dont need to wash your gear every single time it gets dirty. Another thing that is killing gear is the Soap the gear is being washed in. The NFPA Standard has a specific amount of PH in the soaps that are avaible make sure your PH is correct or it will damage the PBI.One more thing to consider is making sure the washing machine is only turning at one G .Aparently machines that spin more than one G force will ruin the fabrics. Also make sure the hot water is at the correct temprature.

In working on our budget for the next few years in the future, we are trying to come up with a replacement cycle for bunker gear. I can't find a "specific age to replace" gear in the NFPA standards. Are there any depts that replace their bunker gear at a specific age, or just when it fails yearly inspection?

Thanks for your input, as always!

Which standard are you looking in? The manufacturing standard is 1971. The stardard for care and maintenance is 1851 and I'm pretty sure that the 10 year retirement mark is referenced in there.

My department now has a tiered replacement cycle for our TOG.

Per our contract:

All firefighters are now issued 2 sets (1 primary and 1 back-up). After 4 years from new, TOG can no longer be used as the primary set. At that point, a new set is issued and the 4-year old set becomes a back-up set. After 8 years from new, TOG can no longer be used as the back-up set.

This part is not specifically covered by our contract, but this is what the practice is/will be.

The previous back-up set will then be quasi-retired. At that point, it can be used as temporary replacements while repairs are made or as initial issue for a new hire while awaiting delivery of their new set.

10 years is the life span per the new standard. Three things are killing gear that might go under the radar.One overwashing the gear. You dont need to wash your gear every single time it gets dirty. Another thing that is killing gear is the Soap the gear is being washed in. The NFPA Standard has a specific amount of PH in the soaps that are avaible make sure your PH is correct or it will damage the PBI.One more thing to consider is making sure the washing machine is only turning at one G .Aparently machines that spin more than one G force will ruin the fabrics. Also make sure the hot water is at the correct temprature.

There's another thing that kills gear that can often be overlooked - UV exposure. Repeated direct exposure to sunlight and/or fluorescent lighting can damage the fabrics. Obviously, we can't exactly shade our gear while in use, but the problematic situations are things like storing the gear between use where it can be exposed to sunlight everyday - near an open garage door or window, storing it in a room using fluorescent lighting that is frequently on, laying/hanging it outside in direct sunlight to dry out after a fire or washing, storing it in a vehicle where the sun can shine directly onto it.

Something else regarding the soap/detergent used to clean the gear, avoid anything that contains bleach in any fashion. I'd also avoid stuff with other "extras" like Febreeze, fabric softeners, etc. unless the manufacturer recommends otherwise. Liquid detergents are preferred because powders can be abrasive on the fabrics if not fully dissolved.

Interestingly enough there is a company in Thornwood - Xtreme Clean (http://www.xtremecleannewyork.com/) that handles bunker gear cleaning & inspections under the NFPA 1851 standard.

I don't think you will find a good standard. A busy FDNY company will certainly last shorter than 10 years while 10 years in a small volunteer company might last years. A particularly high exposure in a slow volunteer company might place the gear out of service. Certainly next technology might render a 5 year old set of turnouts due for replacement.

FDNY has a 10 year replacement on bunker gear, each member is issued 2 sets of gear. The gear is cleaned at 6 month intervals so both sets are used. The gear is coded so the vendor does know which set was previously cleaned, so when next cleaning cycle comes up different set is cleaned. If gear is damaged or needs repair in between cleaning the quartermaster will issue gear or make repairs if possible. Also when gear is out for cleaning any defects or tears to stripes or gear get fixed.

Edited by Mac8146