Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Just a guy

Greenwood Lake FD water rescue/fire fighting unit

14 posts in this topic

I personally am a fan of a traditional boat motor. Yes it has it's drawbacks (prop hitting someone) but at low speeds you have lots more control. Jet skis and boats need water flowing through the jet or you have no ability to manuver. Give me a Boston Whaler with an outboard any day.

Jybehofd likes this

How does it do on rough water?

The NFVFD boat based at Squantz Engine Company actually does very well on smooth and rough water, but hang on tight depending on who is driving it. It has cut transport of people hurt at the forest edges of Squantz Pond or drowning victims to the ambulance at the loading dock or boat launch from more than 15 minutes by traditional motor boat to about two. It MOVES. Also, we had a structure fire on Lavelle Avenue (overlooking Squantz Pond) during the October freak snowstorm and could not get more than the brush truck past the downed trees and wires, and used the boat to provide water source from the Pond to the brush truck and the smaller truck that eventually cut its way through to put out the fire, and it worked very well. The first day we had it on the water, we used the pump to put out an outbuilding fire on Pine Island on Candlewood Lake, where we used to have to lug a portable pump, hoselengths, etc. and make extra trips for people. It has more than proven itself, and flies across the Lake without having to worry about seaweed propeller tangles. Good luck to the Department that bought one - it is well worth it.

The only other one in existance at the time we purchased it was being built to go to Turkey. They have the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea, but not sure if it was going to be used in either one. Economy tanked, and no one else bought one until the recent ones posted, so glad to see they are selling. One problem we found was stress fractures in the upward struts, but they modified and fixed that, and it has not recurred since.

Edited by sueg
Alpinerunner likes this

How does it do on rough water?
The NFVFD boat based at Squantz Engine Company actually does very well on smooth and rough water, but hang on tight depending on who is driving it.

How are you defining "rough water"?

I have no doubt it handles the "rough water" on the lake well, but how about the swells and chop of LI Sound or even more open water?

There is a big difference in conditions.

I have my boat on Greenwood Lake and have seen this many times, pretty neat piece of equipment.

Good luck to the departments who have the vessel!

Seems a bit small, especially for the rough waters that we have around here, I am sure they are prepared to take on some water.

Edited by BigBuff

I have gone in the Long Island on a personal jet boat and not a FD model. They are small boats and like any other small boat can handle the sea but be prepared to take a beating. We went out in 10' swells, handled fine and had a blast but had to hold on.

I personally am a fan of a traditional boat motor. Yes it has it's drawbacks (prop hitting someone) but at low speeds you have lots more control. Jet skis and boats need water flowing through the jet or you have no ability to manuver. Give me a Boston Whaler with an outboard any day.

This boat or any jet boat for that matter has ability to turn and stay stationary unlike any other prop type boat I have ever used! And from what I have been told stays stationary even while operating the master stream.

This boat or any jet boat for that matter has ability to turn and stay stationary unlike any other prop type boat I have ever used! And from what I have been told stays stationary even while operating the master stream.

holding a jet boat stationary is dam hard from personal experence. operating a a twin screw boat stationary is so much more easier then you think. you just need to know what you are doing. a single screw isn't too hard either you just don't have the options and ability to spin around at low speeds easly. this jet boat looks like a great toy from baywatch. how can you secure someone who is on a floating stocks basket on there? looks great if you have a single fire and want to spray some water on it... but what if you had to become the water source and supply and engine? can it feed into a 5" manifold. Like someone else said give me a boston whaler. I have been in very rough weather doing rescues with them.. (jet skiers) and taking water over the gunall and still able to get back to the dock safe and sound.

like i said looks like a nice toy to take out when its sunny.

Here's an interesting video I find on these vessels.

Edited by FF398

If the local police ever started giving parking tickets at marinas, the police version would be perfect as a waterborne Cushman.