Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GBFD111

International Mutual Aid Members

15 posts in this topic

What is everyones thoughts about accepting membership outside of the United States. I am a mutual aid member in a college town and there has been a discrepancy of whether or not to allow international students become members of the department whether they do or do not have prior firefighting or EMS experience.

Thoughts?

What is everyones thoughts about accepting membership outside of the United States. I am a mutual aid member in a college town and there has been a discrepancy of whether or not to allow international students become members of the department whether they do or do not have prior firefighting or EMS experience.

Thoughts?

I am assuming you mean accepting international students as M/A members in the US? I do not know how residency factors into this. International students are probably not citizens...so I don't know how it works out with regards to that.

I am assuming you mean accepting international students as M/A members in the US? I do not know how residency factors into this. International students are probably not citizens...so I don't know how it works out with regards to that.

Yeah, International students as M/A members in the US who are not citizens, but have a visa for school. Could they be considered into membership?

We don't have mutual aid members. We accepted a member in Allingtown (West Haven, CT) who was on a student visa from Hong Kong. He took Fire 1 and the other certifications required to become interior. He's since graduated and has a work visa and is still an active member, only difference is he's no longer a "UNH-Member" in our roster.

Well it depends... Federal laws state that if the agency is part of, or affiliated with a college or university the student attends, then the international students may volunteer with a F-1 Student Visa. If the agency is not affiliated with the college or university the student attends, then they may volunteer. However, if the chief of the FD is paid, then the international student may not volunteer. I'm not sure if being a US Citizen is a requirement for every FD. All international students should speak to their collage or universities international student center before seeking employment or volunteering.

Edited by firedude
Alpinerunner likes this

Well it depends... Federal laws state that if the agency is part of, or affiliated with a college or university the student attends, then the international students may volunteer with a F-1 Student Visa. If the agency is not affiliated with the college or university the student attends, then they may volunteer. However, if the chief of the FD is paid, then the international student may not volunteer. I'm not sure if being a US Citizen is a requirement for every FD. All international students should speak to their collage or universities international student center before seeking employment or volunteering.

What federal law are you citing?

Our department is combination, but technically the volunteers are a separate organization and we have our own Chief of Department, so assuming what you are saying is true, that might be how we got by that.

The department is not affiliated with the University.

The department is not affiliated with the University.

As long as the FD is 100% volunteer, the student should be able to volunteer there.

We do raise our right hand and sware to GOD to uphold the consituation of the united States--the consituation of the State and bylaws of the organization plus the citizens of the community.

Can they sware by that??

firedude likes this

As long as the FD is 100% volunteer, the student should be able to volunteer there.

Its not 100 percent volunteer, we have paid ALS providers

Its not 100 percent volunteer, we have paid ALS providers

The main thing the US goverment is worried about is immagrants taking away jobs americans. As long as the student does not become and serve as a paramedic, I think he'll be fine. A volunteer firefighter and a paramedic are two different positions. He just can't take away a work position from a citizen and no one can profit from the student working.

Edited by firedude

We encountered this situation. According to the municipallity's legal counsel a foreign citizen may serve as long as they are in the US legally and have the appropriate visa status (such as an H1 or similar visa) which grants the holder the right to work.

firedude likes this

We do raise our right hand and sware to GOD to uphold the consituation of the united States--the consituation of the State and bylaws of the organization plus the citizens of the community.

Can they sware by that??

I guess this is your departments policy to swear on this oath.

Now, I don't see any reason they can't swear by that. Interestingly, I don't know what would happen if a US Citizen Buddhist wanted to join and didn't want to swear on this oath for religious reasons.

Also, you don't have to be a citizen to join the US Armed Forces and I'm sure there is an oath of allegiance that is sworn there.

I guess this is your departments policy to swear on this oath.

Now, I don't see any reason they can't swear by that. Interestingly, I don't know what would happen if a US Citizen Buddhist wanted to join and didn't want to swear on this oath for religious reasons.

Also, you don't have to be a citizen to join the US Armed Forces and I'm sure there is an oath of allegiance that is sworn there.

Perhaps affirming is an alternative to swearing oaths for some.