Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Two Long Island EMT's Killed in Ambulance Crash

21 posts in this topic

Thoughts and prayers to those involved. :sad: Riding in the back of that ambulance is one of the most dangerous things we do.

Two EMT's Killed in Ambulance Crash - Riverhead, New York -WNBC

Slideshow:WNBC Images From The Scene

Two EMT's are dead after an ambulance crash Tuesday afternoon in Riverhead.

A Suffolk County ambulance on its way to a hospital swerved into a tree to avoid a crash. The other vehicle involved, a dump truck, reportedly cut off the ambulance. Police say the ambulance had to swerve to avoid an oncoming vehicle, and rammed into an oak tree.

Police say the crash occurred around 1:30. After striking the tree, the ambulance rolled down an embankment on Route 105, near Route 25. 

Four people inside were rushed to Stony Brook Hospital. 

The two medics working on board died a short time later. The two others inside, the driver and the patient who was being transported with heart trouble, are listed in stable condition.

Video taken from WCBS Chopper 2 shows just how destructive this

accident was, as the front of the emergency vehicle is completely torn apart.

My condolences go out to the families of these two EMT's(or Medic's). The article mistitles both of the deceased, first calling them EMT's, and then calling them medics. When will people learn there is a difference.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this tragic incident.

What is it with dump trucks cutting off ambulances lately (OVAC had similar)? It's saddening that people died and highlights what seth said. We deal with an unfortunate double edge sword each time we step into the back of an ambulance. A lot of times we can't strap outselves in because of ongoing patient care. People complain about small van ambulances, but guess what. You can strap in on the bench and be safe while still being able to reach just about anything you need.

Rest in Peace Guys.

RIP :cry:

WAS I don't think this is the correct time for you post. [-X

My deepest condolences to the members of that Agency and to the family ofthe passed EMT's.

It's sad whenever someone dies but its even more sad when someone dies protecting another's life.

You may be correct to an extent. Having looked at the pictures, it appears it was a side impact on the bench side of the rig. I fear all the restraints in the world may not have saved anyone sitting on that benchseat. :cry:

My condolences to all involved, it is a sad time for all. The pictures on WABC show severe damage to the passenger side of the patient compaertment.

I didn't look at the pictures, it's just not the time to bring it up.

my condolences go out to them both. Does anybody know their names so proper regards can be given out?

wow. Thats awful. Are the flags supposed to lowered at half staff now?

Half staff seems apropriate.

My deepest sympathies to their families and to their dept. This is a trajedy. To everyone else BE CAREFUL... you never know.

My deepest condolences go to the families and membership of the ambulance corps these members belonged to. Just this past month, a mutual aid and neighboring department lost a member in an apparatus mva, (Beekman FD, Dutchess County), and I saw the tragedy their department went through. God speed, and Rest in Peace!!

It's been a tragic year so, to many Fire/EMS workers passing to soon. may they all Rest in Peace [-o<

Deepest sympathies from myself, the TVAC Jr Corps, and TVAC. May God rest their souls.

my condolences go out to them both. Does anybody know their names so proper regards can be given out?

Heidi Behr, 23, a single mother who was a volunteer emergency medical technician, and Bill Stone, 30, of Rocky Point, who was engaged to be married and had been working for several months as a paid paramedic responder

My deepest sympathies to their families and to their dept. May god protect us on every run we do.

My deepest sympathies go out to those who lost their lives in that tragic accident, their families, and their ambulance squad. EMT Heidi Behr and Paramedic Jim Stone made the ultimate sacrifice; they died protecting another's life. In my book, they are both heroes and they will be sorely missed.

By the way, if anyone knows about anything being done in their honor (e.g. a fund for their families, donations to their corps in their memory, anything like that) please post it here. Thanks.

Everyone, stay safe out there.

My corps sent out this e-mail about the crash and I think it's something that's worth posting here.

Hundreds of mourners gathered Saturday at two separate services to honour the lives of two Long Island EMS workers killed May 3. Newsday (Cynthia Daniels/Ann Givens/May 9) said Heid Behr, 23, was remembered at the St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church in Riverhead, while services for William Stone, 30, were held at East Setauket's Bryant Funeral Home. Friends recalled the pair as being opposites in personality, with Behr a struggling single mother and Stone a practical joker and daredevil. A memorial fund for Behr's son Jared has been set up. Those interested in donating can do so by sending cheques to: Jared Behr Fund, c/o North Fork Bank, 1080 Rte. 58, Riverhead, NY 11901, Attention: Patty.