Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest fdnyladder10

NYPD Precinct Cars Questions

12 posts in this topic

Nypd precincts feild a mixture of foot patrol officers and rmp,s as well as unmarked units, backed up by esu and antil crime and task force units, but i have a question..

How many RMP's does a typical precinct put out in any given tour? How big an area or blocks would a typical RMP cover?

Thanks in advance

JT

It would depend upon the Precinct. Some are much bigger than others, in population and/or land area. Some precincts may field 4-5 cars on a tour, some may field 8-10. They may be a few precincts that only put out 3 cars.Some precincts may have 120 PO's assigned, some have over 350.

In Manhattan, sectors are small, several square blocks, but some precincts in, say a quiet residental area in Queens or Staten Island may be several square miles. A lot of it has to do with population density and how busy the area is.

Edited by 10512
sfrd18 and firedude like this

It also depends on the current tours staffing. The 45 in the Bronx covers a huge area and at times would only have 2 cars because of different obligations to things like mobilizations and special events.

Thanks for the replies, i was in times square couple of months ago, and saw around 8 nypd rmp's parked up, outside the police office in the square, most had mtn on the rear ID number, few had mts, i would imagine most of the patroling done in midtown is foot patrol with one or two rmp's as back up, as common sense would say too much traffic and congestion to effectively patrol such an area with cars, however out in the boroughs, as mentioned above, other than the projects foot patrols most patroling i would assume would be done by car.

Cheers

JT

Thanks for the replies, i was in times square couple of months ago, and saw around 8 nypd rmp's parked up, outside the police office in the square, most had mtn on the rear ID number, few had mts, i would imagine most of the patroling done in midtown is foot patrol with one or two rmp's as back up, as common sense would say too much traffic and congestion to effectively patrol such an area with cars, however out in the boroughs, as mentioned above, other than the projects foot patrols most patroling i would assume would be done by car.

Cheers

JT

Midtown North (MTN) and Midtown South (MTS) precincts cover the Times Square area.

There are lots of different assets in the midtown area. Besides the sectors and foot patrols - there is ESU, task force, borough, traffic, detectives, K-9, transit, housing, and other specialty units that may be in the area.

This has nothing to do with surge patrols where they'll have 30-40 cops from all over the city saturate an area for deterrence and high visibility patrols. That's an impressive sight.

Midtown North and South probably have several sectors in each plus foot patrols. Foot patrols augment the sectors, not the other way around.

I assume that a 'sector' is a car out on patrol??

Appologies for my lack of knowledge on PD!!

JT

Yes, a sector car is a car that is out on patrol, and the unit type that "Central" assigns the vast majority of jobs (calls) to. If another unit, like a foot post, is closer they will come over the radio and say that they will be handling the job, but the initial dispatch 99% of the time goes to the sectors.

Also, be aware that not every marked RMP (police car) that you see is a sector car, even if it is from the local precinct. Other specialized units and even some supervisors use marked cars. For example there are patrol sergeants, patrol lieutenants, domestic violence officers, auxiliary coordinators, community affairs officers, summons cars and probably a whole bunch more that use marked RMPs, but are not considered sectors.

helicopper likes this

If a precinct is short manpower, often one RMP (radio motor patrol) may cover more than one sector so for example you may hear 47adam/boy

And very often you will hear housing not available because most housing lately seems to be putting out 1 -2 cars. That leaves the pct in which housing is located covering the job.

Housing units also cover more than one precinct so they may only have one car to a precinct.

Not to mention all the task forces, transit, highway patrol, and other divisions. And will see alot of Fleet(FSD) cars too patrolling.

"And will see alot of Fleet(FSD) cars too patrolling."

Cars that are marked "FSD" are from the Fleet Services Division. That is the NYPD's "repair shop" That is the motor Pool.

They are loaner cars, normally given to Pcts when they run short of cars due to the Precincts regularly used vehicles being out of service.

They are not any "additional patrol", but rather the usual cops on patrol, but using a loaner car.

Edited by 10512