Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x152

Antique Fire Truck Storage Question

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone in this area could help us with trying to temporarily relocate our 1935 Seagrave Fire Engine.

I thought that I had heard about a fire apparatus museum somewhere in NY State that will hold and display antique fire trucks that are owned privately.

I know there is a museum in Hudson, but not sure if this is the same place or if another similar type of facility exists in the area?

We need to relocate our Seagrave out of its present location in Stamford due to some upcoming construction and am finding limited places in this area to store it out of the elements.

The truck is in decent condition given its age and has never been refurbished. It is an original Stamford Engine that was delivered to Engine 1 in the summer of 1935. The truck was donated back to us about 10 years ago after being located in Newton, MA.

We are NOT looking to sell or donate the truck. Just need a good shelter or museum home while we figure out a permanent storage solution.

Any info, help, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks-

Another thing you might be able to do is check with a shipping container rental company and see if they could help out with a 48 footer the truck may be able to fit

I'd go with the shipping container idea. Lock it, and no worries about parts walking away...

"I thought that I had heard about a fire apparatus museum somewhere in NY State that will hold and display antique fire trucks that are owned privately."

'I do not know too much about them, but there is a private organization with a warehouse full of privately owned apparatus in Orange County. It is called Catskill Fire Cats, or something similar (try google). I do not know anything about their criteria for stowing apparatus, I do not know if they rent out space or whatever, but it may be a start.

x152...

Its quite a ways from Stamford, but theres a place in Peekskill (Buchanan address, Montrose Fire District lol) that specializes in storing antique cars, as well as boats and RV's.

Im sure they would charge a fee, but maybe they'd go easy on ya being an FD?

It will stay nicely here in Texas. Rust is not a problem.

Also, pre-fab steel buildings are quite inexpensive, even an RV storage tent. Would the city lend you some land at the training academy?

AndyC3Jeeper would know more about the facility in Orange County.

PCFD ENG58 likes this

It will stay nicely here in Texas. Rust is not a problem.

Also, pre-fab steel buildings are quite inexpensive, even an RV storage tent. Would the city lend you some land at the training academy?

AndyC3Jeeper would know more about the facility in Orange County.

No rust but lots of snakes,I'll take the rust, also no room in Circleville it's full !

BFD1054 likes this

One word of advice. The RV stroage tents are mini ecosystems if they are totally sealed. Water can get in, and if it gets trapped, it will start rusting everything. You need airflow in them.

What happened to Engine 9 and Engine 8's "tents"???????. I might be able to keep it with my Dump Truck?

No rust but lots of snakes,I'll take the rust, also no room in Circleville it's full !

It will keep the rodents away, lol!