Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Empress EMS Seeking Qualified And Capable Dispatchers

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what sort of compensation they offer for EMT-B or Dispatcher? I didn't see anything in regards to that on their site. I know a lot of places have different rates based on experience, but does anyone have any ballpark figures? Can post here if you want, or feel free to PM me.

Salary at Empress would be based on what the Union contract says. I believe the number of years of experience you have will have something to do with how much you get per hour.

Salary at Empress would be based on what the Union contract says. I believe the number of years of experience you have will have something to do with how much you get per hour.

Goes by years of experience as an EMT-B/EMT-P as your base pay. Then for every shift you work as a dispatcher, you get a stipend. Atleast that what it was when I was there.

I don't have my contract IFO me, so I will do this from my memory, which has a high failure rate. IF you do at least 24 hours a week in dispatch, you get an about $2.50/hour above what an EMT with the same credentials/Hx would make. Your other hours would be worked on the street. IF you work LESS then 24 hrs a week inside, you only get the extra money for hours actually spent dispatching. Empress sends you to the EMS class.

There is an established system for counting previous years as a paid staff and/or volly, something like 2 or 3 years in another place earns you a one year grade increase at Emnpress. Again, it is in the contract so everyone gets the same deal.

So let's say a new EMT starts at $10.50. Then about $12 after probation, then the $2.50, plus maybe a $1/hr or so for previous experience if you can document/prove it= about $15/hour, plus the benefits, and about a 3% raise, give or take based on what contract is in effect.

I gotta say, it is a VERY demanding job, and most of our dispatchers are VERY GOOD at it.

ems-buff, effd3918 and firedude like this

I've got to add as well, as stated above, you have to be on top of your game to be an Empress dispatcher. They usually don't hire from outside, and only take people from within.

If you apply for this job, you need to bring your A-game to work everyday. The City Of Yonkers and all of Empress' contracts (business that keeps your job) will depend heavily on the dispatcher. As well as the safety of the crews. And you can't multitask multitasking, then don't even bother. Many Empress dispatchers over the years have gone on to accomplish great careers, which speaks volumes of the training and experience you'll get at Empress.

I'd have to say yes. On the Empress site first linked in this thread, it says "no drivers". There is no pay scale in the contract for a non- EMT. It would be tough enough for an outside person to come in a dispatch a system they did not start in. If you add to that not being an EMT, and therefore not having any EMT experience, I don't see a high likelihood of success. But if you refer to a FORMER EMT who once dispatched @ Empress, and now works for a city in a northern county, well then....

87D124 likes this

But if you refer to a FORMER EMT who once dispatched @ Empress, and now works for a city in a northern county, well then....

Yes....LOL...him.

An EMD since 1999....has let any and all cards issued by NYS lapse...

But then again...he would only be interested in per-Diem...and would have a problem with that at a union shop...

Edited by x129K
87D124 likes this

Dan,

I know being per-diem at a union shop is against what you believe, but they would be gaining back a very good "Old Timer" ;-)