Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Dispatchers

23 posts in this topic

One of the things that bothers me most in the Westchester County Fire Service is the way some people think about dispatchers, and how underappricated and misunderstood their job is, especially in a county as fragmented and complicated as Westchester.

I found this editorial from an excellent site, www.firefighterclosecalls.com, and it's definetly worth a read.

Dispatchers

November 07, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey...

One of the most forgotten but critical "links" in a decent fire or emergency operation is communications. Duh. But one area that is even more critical are the dispatchers involved in the operation. Dispatchers are, in many cases, forgotten about and generally, taken for granted. Who hasn't been in a firehouse discussion where "those damn dispatchers" are always responsible for everything that went wrong on a fire scene or related response?  

Years ago, I was a boss in a pretty large fire & EMS emergency communications center and there were a few EMS supervisors in the field that thought that their poop didn't stink. It did. But-our dispatchers could do nothing right...until those supervisors had to spend some time actually IN the emergency communications center. And then, what happened after that? They were still clueless morons. Yeah-ya thought I was gonna say "they saw the light" or "they really understood the challenges of dispatching and became our biggest supporters" or something like that? No-not a chance...not those clowns-but it did point out how close minded they were to truly understanding what fire and EMS dispatchers actually have to do-in order to get the call processed-and managed while the call is in progress.  

Sure-some dispatchers have no clue-just like some of us in the field. The difference is-everything a dispatcher has to do is tracked, monitored, heard, taped, recorded, reviewed and under the scrutiny of anyone with a radio. It would be like if someone followed us around all day in the field-listening to and watching every single one of our actions in the field....THAT would be a real treat, huh? Can you imagine everything a firefighter or an officer says and does being listened to and watched the entire time we are on duty? Of course, there are some FD's where cameras and tape recorders HAVE been placed w/o anyone knowing-but that's another fun story for another day.

It seems that everyone with a radio, monitor or scanner knows how "those damn dispatchers" oughta be doing the job. Of course we do.

Not taking anything away from what we do in the field, the fact is that functioning as a dispatcher is a high stress responsibility as well....a different kind of stress, but still stressful. Dealing with the parent of a drowning child, speaking to a child whose parent just beat the crap out of the other or "us" yelling and screaming over the radio because the power company hasn't arrived quick enough for "arcing wires in a tree" or......listening to a caller cry and scream as they observe people trapped in a nightclub fire----requires cool, calm and professional action. Kinda like firefighting. Sometimes it happens-sometimes it doesn't.  

When it all comes out in the end-our dispatchers are really the "first responders" in dealing with those who need us. They are our first point of contact in the "link of events" that are needed to make something bad become something not so bad. If your FD is the best trained and best staffed-none of that matters if the same attention isn't paid to the communications center personnel. Some communities get it-most don't. Unfortunately-many dispatch centers and their personnel are ignored when it comes to training, staffing and pay-but when things go wrong, are the first to take it in the ass-terisk.

In West Warwick, Rhode Island-the dispatchers had their hands full as the first people to have to deal with "The Station" Nightclub Fire....it was clear within seconds that a tragedy was unfolding-as the firefighters then found out minutes later. Go to:

http://www.turnto10.com/news/2616632/detail.html

Some of the radio traffic from the Station Nightclub Fire is available there....absolutely incredible. Take a listen....and also think about your dispatch center, how they would handle it and what their training, staffing and related levels are-or are gonna be, when they get a call like this-or for a more standard call, such as a working dwelling fire, a non-breather or a multi victim crash.  

Kinda like firefighter and FD preparedness-dispatcher and communication center preparedness, staffing, training and compensation (to insure competent and qualified folks work there) is probably better off when taken care of before the incident-as opposed to after an incident, when everyone and their brother is scrutinizing the operation. Just like we cry, whine and bitch cause "the public doesn't understand what we do"...OUR dispatchers probably feel the same about us.

Take Care,

BillyG

The Secret List 11-7-03 1030 Hours

FirefighterCloseCalls.com

I couldn't agree any more!

I'm in the middle of dispatch training for EMS... small university agency but we run ~1500 calls a year.

Even in our small orginization we get the typical "well the dispatcher should do that... should have done that" - no credit is given at all.

It's not always easy/fun having to help someone on the phone who just found their friend uncioncious/having a seizure/<enter a medical problem here> while trying to dispatch an ambulance, notify PD, etc.

A lot is juggled. I hold the uptmost respect for dispatchers... its a tough job that is never thanked (like many things in the emergency services field)

To begin, Thank you! You are correct that we in the fire service do not do enough to thank the dispatchers at 60 Control. Perhaps non-intentionally the discussion on mutual-aid suggested that the dispatchers could do a better job.... and if that is the case I am sorry, because that is not what I meant to convey in the discussion.... what I meant to convey is not even important in this forum...... I'll just say thank you. You all down at control do one hell of a job.

hey guys lets not forget the police dispatchers, especially the county police dispatchers. Seth, i know you know what its like over here. We are short handed, and have alot of responsibilities to take care of. I have also been on the fire and ems side of the dispatching as well. I worked for the somers fire district as a dispatcher, prior to westchester ems taking over, when you were in the room by yourself handling all the radio and phones. I also worked at westcom, which was the former stat flight dispatch center, another critical dispatching job especially when your monitoring helicopters that are in flight. dispatchers all around, and not just fire/ems or police deserve around of applause and the pat on the back for the jobs they do.

MoFire24, I didn't forget. You're absolutely right!!! :D

I have to say I think our Westchester County DES Dispatchers are good, very professional. The same goes for Westchester County Police Dispatchers and PO's on the radio. I think someday down the road things should go to countywide dispatching for fire and ems, maybe even police too. Florida has some amazing E911 systems and countywide dispatching. What do you think?

Do you guys monitor smaller Westchester County departments?

Police, Fire, EMS. I hear some interesting stuff..

PROFESSIONALISM is key. I think DES and WCPD got it!

Legal note.. I DO NOT monitor ANY police frequencies while

in my motor vehicle. haha :D

Man there was this one spaz that worked at 60 for a while, (thank god he's gone) what was his name :-k ...uhhh...wait his number was

63.....nevermind.... :-P

Yes they are, but I have to tell you, some deserve it, those of us well established in this county know how things are with certain dispatchers here. The majority of them are great, especially my 2 sweethearts, 626 and 627. No comments from the peanut gallery for those of you whom know which one I dated lol. My only gripe about the county's system is the PSAP's and the fact that everyone doesn't receive EMD and they should without question.

Seth, this was a little paragraph i added to the end of my post for the WP apartment fire a couple weeks ago lol!

*IMO-This incident seemed to run quite smoothly (only from what i heard on the air). Given the number of angencies involved, i would like to commend 60 Control (Hap) & WP Comm., who are the unsung heros in these incidents. The two agencies worked very well together on making sure that there was sufficient manpower/units at the scene, as well as ensuring that the city of White Plains was covered sufficiently. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by BFD1054 on Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:54 pm; edited

So, i think its safe to say i feel for dispatchers and definately appreciate them! Not only do they have a million things going on (phones, radios, computers) but they also have to deal with some people that just can't speak on a radio lol! As i have said, i was a trainee with WCPD, and as Mofire24 stated, its not an easy job, by any means! I also dispatched for Somers Fire/EMS pre Westchester EMS taking over. Man, i can remember still being in training and a certain supervisor asking me to work a shift, last minute of course! When i said i was still in training, the reply i received was, eh, i think you're ready! My first call was a 5-car MVA, i'll never forget that shift lol! But anyway, i definately give a lot of credit to all dispatchers, Fire, EMS & PD! Tommy, glad to see you're haning in there bro, WCPD dispatching was not easy, keep up the good work my man! And Big Daddy Muns (a.k.a. 642), you're sounding like a seasoned veteran. I guess it helps when you've been talking on a radio since you were like 14 lol! But to all our WCDES & WCPD dispatchers out there, keep up the good work, all of our lives may depend on it! Thank you all for listening and having patience!

Hate to offend any dispatchers on this board, but the City of Yonker Police and Fire Department have suffered a tremendous loss due to the retirment of our experienced dispatchers. We are getting NYC dispatchers who can barely speak english, mumble, do not get any information what so ever. This problem is causing more friction between YPD AND YFD. We do not get updates, other agenciesdo not recieve the proper updates we give to them. Dispatchers are a vital link to Fire, police and EMS safety and Yonkers has hit the bottom of the barrel. And I have anywhere from medical calls to mva's to a homicide on file to prove there lack of training and professionalism. Yonkers dispatchers need imediate intervention and training protocols implimented and enforced......

I'll second that....

Just a reminder, comments posted here should be generalized, objective, and constructive. Any comments going into detail or reffering to specific incidents or dispatchers will be removed. Also, directly "bashing" any agency or person will not be allowed. We try and maintain this board for positive discussion.

60 control has come a long way over the years,for those who have never been in the hot seat as a dispatcher they may never know the amount of mental work that goes on. it can be a draining experience! they do a great job and are appreciated by many. if you want to thank them send them an e-mail or a card,or a couple of pizza's. no need to thank them over the air-you are only tying up air space that is already packed with too much chatter. be safe!

I think right now the problem that we have with crews and dispatchers trading less than friendly comments is caused by weak communications systems. As I have mentioned earlier, it HAS gotten a LITTLE better with the recent surge in department crossband repeaters, but many areas still need help. Before you jump down a dispatcher's throat (or before you dispatchers get snippy with the crews), think about where the real problem lies.

Hate to offend any dispatchers on this board, but the City of Yonker Police and Fire Department have suffered a tremendous loss due to the retirment of our experienced dispatchers. We are getting NYC dispatchers who can barely speak english, mumble, do not get any information what so ever. This problem is causing more friction between YPD AND YFD. We do not get updates, other agenciesdo not recieve the proper updates we give to them. Dispatchers are a vital link to Fire, police and EMS safety and Yonkers has hit the bottom of the barrel. And I have anywhere from medical calls to mva's to a homicide on file to prove there lack of training and professionalism. Yonkers dispatchers need imediate intervention and training protocols implimented and enforced......

Hope that I can change some of that as soon as they call...for those who know my capabilities...123

123- it will be a pleasure to have you operating the board..K!

you can hear me on 155.310 midnights this week or on 462.950 m/w days this week...operator 123 back on the air...for now!!!!!

To appreciate professional dispatchers you only need to respond to one call with a dispatcher that doesn't want to be dispatching.

123 on the air @ WNCH 867? OUTSTANDING!

i will be sure to send you to a lot of jobs on wednesday 801, hopefully you're partner won't hate you...123

thanks 123, it wasn't that bad

To appreciate professional dispatchers you only need to respond to one call with a dispatcher that doesn't want to be dispatching.

I'll second that one. We've got to convince the chiefs to switch to 60-control

Our PD dispatches us and we have no intention of switching.

Please don't let this sound as "60" bashing, it is not. I have the utmost respect for the folks at "60", and appreciate their assistance each and every time. Once we are enroute or at an incident I don't hesitate to contact 60 if I need something and they are always reponsive and helpful.

We have an excellent relationship with our PD, the 911 calls are routed the PD desk so why transfer the caller to someone else? We have had very few problems with our method of doing things and when we do we speak to them about it. That being said, the PD does not obviously pay attention to the traffic on 46.26 and occassionally steps on others when dispatching us and usually re-dispatches us if the original call comes from 60. Other than these few annoyances, I think our system works fine.