Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

101st Airborne in the Fla. Keys

6 posts in this topic

Yesterday was "Doctor Day," my visit to the doctor's office. It's about a 40 minute drive toward Key West from where we're at in the Keys. There's a great fishermen's cooperative out that way, so after the doc's we headed over for their famous "Lobster Ruben." The location couldn't be more scenic; right on the Bay-side, with outdoor seating in the shade.

I wasn't initially surprised to see two servicemen in combat fatigues. What I was surprised to see was the "101st Airborne" patches on their sleeves. As we sat down, I nodded to them and they gestured back in a friendly manner naturally. Soldiers are like that.

After lunch, I couldn't help myself, so I walked over and said "excuse me gentlemen, I'd just like to say thank you for your service to our country." We exchanged handshakes, and I told them I was a retired fireman. They were curious to know, so I told them where I had worked. They were so genuinely grateful for a simple gesture of thanks, I could just tell as we had a simple chat.

I was curious myself. I know most questions shouldn't be asked regarding operations, etc, but I gingerly said "101st Airborne. You guys are a long way from home." One responded (I was able to see his Lt. bar in the middle of his blouse, the other's I couldn't make out) that they had flown down from Atlanta for the day on a training mission, and they were so happy to be at such a beautiful place for lunch.

I felt inside such a feeling of happiness for them. I could imagine what these two soldiers of the United States Army had seen in the past ten years, and just the fact that they were able to be there, in that spot, having a great lunch......well most of us here on Bravo have not forgotten what our service members continue to sacrifice for the good of this nation, so you know what I mean.

So here's a salute to the 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagles." God Bless them, and all of our other service members, out there STILL fighting the fight, dying for us, protecting us from the evils that exist in the world today. If you see a service member, don't forget to say thanks.

NEVER FORGET!

For information on the storied history of one of our country's most famous Army Divisions, check out wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101st_Airborne_Division

FFEMT150, peterose313, x129K and 1 other like this

Great story Cap! It's not that often people go out of their way to thank our service men and women. Reading this was a great way to kick off my day. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Rep given on behalf of those men whose day you brightened.

EDIT: Rep point

Edited by FFEMT150

Yesterday was "Doctor Day," my visit to the doctor's office. It's about a 40 minute drive toward Key West from where we're at in the Keys. There's a great fishermen's cooperative out that way, so after the doc's we headed over for their famous "Lobster Ruben." The location couldn't be more scenic; right on the Bay-side, with outdoor seating in the shade.

I wasn't initially surprised to see two servicemen in combat fatigues. What I was surprised to see was the "101st Airborne" patches on their sleeves. As we sat down, I nodded to them and they gestured back in a friendly manner naturally. Soldiers are like that.

After lunch, I couldn't help myself, so I walked over and said "excuse me gentlemen, I'd just like to say thank you for your service to our country." We exchanged handshakes, and I told them I was a retired fireman. They were curious to know, so I told them where I had worked. They were so genuinely grateful for a simple gesture of thanks, I could just tell as we had a simple chat.

I was curious myself. I know most questions shouldn't be asked regarding operations, etc, but I gingerly said "101st Airborne. You guys are a long way from home." One responded (I was able to see his Lt. bar in the middle of his blouse, the other's I couldn't make out) that they had flown down from Atlanta for the day on a training mission, and they were so happy to be at such a beautiful place for lunch.

I felt inside such a feeling of happiness for them. I could imagine what these two soldiers of the United States Army had seen in the past ten years, and just the fact that they were able to be there, in that spot, having a great lunch......well most of us here on Bravo have not forgotten what our service members continue to sacrifice for the good of this nation, so you know what I mean.

So here's a salute to the 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagles." God Bless them, and all of our other service members, out there STILL fighting the fight, dying for us, protecting us from the evils that exist in the world today. If you see a service member, don't forget to say thanks.

NEVER FORGET!

For information on the storied history of one of our country's most famous Army Divisions, check out wiki:

http://en.wikipedia....rborne_Division

Did you at least buy them a tall frosty one (lemonade) ????

Did you at least buy them a tall frosty one (lemonade) ????

No, but I happened to have some of that tuna you gave me from your fishing trip down here, still frozen in a cooler in my truck. I passed it on with one request; please drop it from the sky back onto your house as a late Christmas present from me. I gave them your address and told them just look for the place with the alien box out on the telephone pole in front. Keep an eye out for two Black Hawks!

LTNRFD and x129K like this

No, but I happened to have some of that tuna you gave me from your fishing trip down here, still frozen in a cooler in my truck. I passed it on with one request; please drop it from the sky back onto your house as a late Christmas present from me. I gave them your address and told them just look for the place with the alien box out on the telephone pole in front. Keep an eye out for two Black Hawks!

Black finn tuna dropped from a black hawk helicopter ....interesting !!!!

efdcapt115 likes this

They are one of the only groups allowed to possess a single eagle feather.

Edited by rfdu39