Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY New Rescue 7....And It's Gonna Be A Pierce Arrow XT!!

44 posts in this topic

i was at the pierce factory a year ago and thier dying to get thier foot in the door to fdny. nice rig hope they get it!

From what I've heard within the last 2 weeks is that there is still no official word yet on the Pierce Rescue. It is still under negotiations. Pierce is making a push. We'll just have to wait and see...........

Edited by EWFAC-1075

Going to be hard, especially if they like HazMat 1's new Ferrara. I forsee them as the new rescue builder for FDNY if the current trend goes with specialty apparatus. The only Pierce's I know of are the HazMat tender and the two trucks left over from the USCG station on Governor's Island.

Rmember one thing about the city: they make the spec, the company has to meet it. No exceptions. And I heard the guy that does the inspection trips for FDNY really knows his stuff.

I was the truck committee chairman for our new Saulsbury delivered in April, 2004.  I heard the body crack issue was unique to how Saulsbury bodies were attached to the E-one chassis.  This wasn't a problem with the Spartan, thankfully.  At the time, Saulsbury was Spartan's largest customer. 

I think our heavy rescue was among the last to be built in Preble, NY.  They had a lot of pumpers and ladders being built, but not many trucks that were simply heavy-rescues. 

Working with Saulsbury after they were bought by Federal was a real nightmare.  We had some significant quality issues, too, most of which we've resolved. I hope things have improved, but I haven't heard any stories in the past year since our machine was delivered.  Fortunately, now that the bugs are worked out, the truck is a dream.

r44_portrait_halfsize.jpg

Joe

Darien FD (CT)

PS:  We opted not to get the stairs, and I'm glad.  It's a partial walk-through, with very usable space.  Look for it at Katonah, Mamaroneck, Mt Kisco, and Bedford!

The mounting issue is not chassis specific, the bodies are mounted to any steel chassis frame rail the same exact way, as far as working with the Preble Plant after the purchase, all i can say is FSS resuced a company that was going down, they realized after 5 years there was no profitabilty in that plant and decided to consolidate everything into one campus in Fla. Not alot of actual floor workers took the move (which FSS offered an extremely nice relocation package to most employees) some sales administrators and some of the engineering are either located there or working out of offices in NY. There were some rough spots for a while but that is to be expected when a new buyer takes over and changes things to a company that was not profitable, I read alot of these threads on this site bashing equipment and manufacturers and i'm not that familiar with the FDNY products problems, but what i do know is, MOST of the E-One and combo E-One/Saulsbury units that are in service in my area are not having any more or less problems than ANY other manufacturer (especially the chassis). There are alot of Manufacturers stepping up to the plate and building some really nice pieces around, let see how they are in 5 years!!

With all the mechanical issues plaguing the newer Seagrave rigs, I'm surprised they haven't come up with an Arrow XT engine for demo purposes yet. That'd be something to think about, too.

I have to disagree, not to start anything, but I think E-ONE is a great brand, yea pierce, and seagrave are good to. But E-ONE is really good, they might have some bad features but they have more good then bad features.

Its not their features that bring down e-one, its the extended downtime many of them have due to mech. malfunctions...

Mahopac has a 2002 E-One ladder truck. Every one loves the truck; also you can not beat E-Ones service. Trucks are repaired by E-One Mechanics (not sub contractors) who only work on fire apparatus and most of time it’s in your own fire house. They are fast. I don’t believe our department has ever had a problem with their service. Also the only down time we have ever had with our truck was cause by operator error. It was a big mess, and it was quickly repaired by E-One in our own Fire House.

Perhaps maybe it is just problems near or dealing with big cities, i.e. too much use compiled with other factors steering their decisions away from e-one.... only the people using the units can say for sure what turned their decision away from e-one, a company some like and some don't as we have seen here in this forum.

Edited by cas2383

Our E one is about 7 years old and we have not had any major promlems with it. I just don't like all the little things that have broke on it. A few of the heat/ac vents in the cab broke, the nobs for the defroster controls loosen up easy, the sun visors don't stay in the up position, and we had a compartment door latch problem. However, I can not remember having any major pump problems. No real Out Of Service issues with it. Just about everyone likes the rig.

FYI, Nashua, NH has 2 Arrow XT's. 1 Engine & 1 Ladder. Very Happy w/ both rigs.

I was in a dept for a few years that ran an E-One and it was fine except for the little things, but all in all, this is a medium duty rig. We can say it was fine, but it ran out 500 times a year, not several thousand times a year. From what my experiance has been with E-One it just isn't bulletproof enough to endure 3000+ runs for 10 years.

E-One it just isn't bulletproof enough to endure 3000+ runs for 10 years.

people- there are good and bad pieces of apparatus in all brands we just hope that we don't happen to be the ones stuck with the problem one. a rapid changing industry were faced with between new emission laws and technological electric advances they could make something today and by the next day it has changed. anyone putting a truck together today knows the headaches, theirs nothing worse than getting stuck with a lemon for 10-20 years. its all in the planning. every town /city has operating budgets wich they have to conform to poeple knock things of weather its buying or maitaining to keep within these budgets. pierce makes a nice truck and so do others its all in the service that comes with the truck.