Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Waterbury, CT - 2nd Alarm Structure Fire w/ Collapse - 4/7/12

7 posts in this topic

Waterbury is big mix of ghetto, sub-urban and rural area, they have a busy FD with 8-9 eng co's (driver/officer and 2) and 3 truck co's 2 rear mount straight sticks and a mid mount tower (again driver/officer and 2) and they have a heavy rescue (driver/officer/3?) they cover 28sq miles with population of 110,000ish, this is a great busy dept, its roughly the size of yonkers but half the population, when they call mutal aid you know its a big incident, i live 20 miles north and can see the header.

sfrd18, fireboyny and x129K like this

Nice shots, looks like a fine job by WFD.

Waterbury is big mix of ghetto, sub-urban and rural area, they have a busy FD with 8-9 eng co's (driver/officer and 2) and 3 truck co's 2 rear mount straight sticks and a mid mount tower (again driver/officer and 2) and they have a heavy rescue (driver/officer/3?) they cover 28sq miles with population of 110,000ish, this is a great busy dept, its roughly the size of yonkers but half the population, when they call mutal aid you know its a big incident, i live 20 miles north and can see the header.

Nice shots!

That's pretty much the half of it as Ladder44 said.

Waterbury is one of New England's many old factory/mill cities that boomed during WWII and through the 1950's, but slowly declined and went downhill afterwards when the industry moved out. It is currently the 5th largest city in Connecticut and is very similar to the city of Bridgeport, CT if anyone is familiar with it. Waterbury has an immense amount of vacant factories, industries, and many 3-deckers(multi-family houses).

The Waterbury Fire Department is generally a very bust urban FD. They usually run around 18,000 emergency calls annually(with Medical I believe). They currently operate out of 8 Fire Stations, and operate a Fire Apparatus fleet of 8 Engines, 3 Trucks, 1 Rescue, 1 Haz-Mat. Unit, 1 Collapse Unit, 1 Battalion, and 1 Deputy Chief. The Rescue(Rescue 9) is cross-staffed by members of Engine 1, thus, when the Rescue goes on runs, they respond as Rescue Engine 1.

Waterbury doesn't usually get jobs this big, and usually if they do, they handle them on their own. It's rare when M/A is called to the scene.

Edited by sfrd18
fireboyny likes this

Oh, forgot to mention, the multitude of steep and sharp hilly streets in Waterbury almost mirror those found in San Francisco.

Which reminds me, stay clear of Waterbury during a snow or ice storm!(LOL!)

News said it is an 86,000 Sq ft building.........still flowing master streams as we speak