Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

Norwalk Councilman Calls Fire House a Monstrosity

16 posts in this topic

They're building a new Fire Headquarters on the site of the old one scheduled for 2013 opening. Companies stationed at the old Volk(Engine 2, Truck 2, Car 2(DC)) are now running from across I-95 at the fire apparatus maintenance facility. In fact, the groundgreaking for the new Headquarters was just a couple of days ago. The new building will be huge and should be a big improvement from the old Station 2, which was built in 1963. The NFD really deserves it.

I prepared some bids for various trades on this project and we were successful in obtaining the work. Pleased to have the work, always enjoy being part of a new firehouse build. That said, when I first got the plans, I thought it was a new building for Yale. It is is big, it is architecturally imposing and it should serve the City of Norwalk, its firefighters and citizens for decades to come.

SECTMB who do you work for?? Just curious as I am a fireman in Norwalk, and curious as to the scope of work you will be doing in the new building. Thanks

One of the replies to the article about the councilman ripping the project is from yours truly. The building is awesome and we cannot wait until it is finished and we can move into it. The training wall that will be in the center of the building will be impressive and I believe it will eventually be an article topic in the trade journals.

sfrd18 likes this

SECTMB who do you work for?? Just curious as I am a fireman in Norwalk, and curious as to the scope of work you will be doing in the new building. Thanks

I work for MacKenzie, based in Stratford. We do painting, coatings, special floor systems, spray and intumescent fireproofing and spray insulation. The company started in 1919, has the same owners and we've done innumerable fire, police and jail facilities over the years. I've been with them for twenty five years and do my work now via the internet from Florida. If you can get a transfer to this new station, get it, it will be a great place to spend your career.

Gee t

I work for MacKenzie, based in Stratford. We do painting, coatings, special floor systems, spray and intumescent fireproofing and spray insulation. The company started in 1919, has the same owners and we've done innumerable fire, police and jail facilities over the years. I've been with them for twenty five years and do my work now via the internet from Florida. If you can get a transfer to this new station, get it, it will be a great place to spend your career.

Ok I'm sure the guys can't wait to move from their make shift house into the new "Bighouse"

One of the replies to the article about the councilman ripping the project is from yours truly. The building is awesome and we cannot wait until it is finished and we can move into it. The training wall that will be in the center of the building will be impressive and I believe it will eventually be an article topic in the trade journals.

It will be the new, improved "House of Pain".

SECTMB, Thank you for the reply. I work at our temporary firehouse just across for our old HQ. we are very excited for the new firehouse. If you are in the area when your work starts, stop in and say hi.

It will definetly be a new Big House.

Edited by dmccabe

Quick question, will the new HQ house any other Special Units other than Engine 2, Truck 2, and Car 2(Deputy Chief)? Also, is Tac. Rescue 2 now paired with Rescue 1 at Broad River, or is it still with Station 2?

Quick question, will the new HQ house any other Special Units other than Engine 2, Truck 2, and Car 2(Deputy Chief)? Also, is Tac. Rescue 2 now paired with Rescue 1 at Broad River, or is it still with Station 2?

As part of the force realignment plan put forth by Chief McCarthy a few years back, Station 1 will be the permanent home to Rescue 1. The final destination for the Tactical Rescue is still not clear, but it could be married to T2 at the new HQ. Once the remodel is done at Station 4 on Westport Avenue, T1 will go there permanently, giving us 3 multi-unit stations in the city and possibly a Captain at each one. Its a great plan, we support it and it has worked well so far.

I have a schematic of the training wall designed by Captain Markowitz, once I can find it, I'll post it up.

Joe

sfrd18 likes this

"Home of the Big Breakfast"

As part of the force realignment plan put forth by Chief McCarthy a few years back, Station 1 will be the permanent home to Rescue 1. The final destination for the Tactical Rescue is still not clear, but it could be married to T2 at the new HQ. Once the remodel is done at Station 4 on Westport Avenue, T1 will go there permanently, giving us 3 multi-unit stations in the city and possibly a Captain at each one. Its a great plan, we support it and it has worked well so far.

I have a schematic of the training wall designed by Captain Markowitz, once I can find it, I'll post it up.

Joe

Thanks, Capt.