Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x4093k

Traffic Advisors On Rigs...Purpose?

10 posts in this topic

May or may not be a stupid question, but I have never seen someone answer it before..

On the back of most newer/slightly older engines, rescues, etc, theres a traffic advisor(arrowstick). I have never really seen an engine park in the middle of the road and turn that on to direct traffic elsewhere, So, is there a different purpose for these?

And on the new engines, Mostly all of them have those very BRIGHT Chevrons on them, why would they spend the money to buy a arrowstick for the back of it? With the chevrons, nobody's not going to see it...

Thanks for the info.

(This thread is not to start a debate about money spending or why they're on chief vehicles, just wondering why they're on rigs that really don't need them..)

Edited by x4093k

I can't really fathom how to answer this post. It just does not make any sense. Hopefully someone else can articulate it better than I.

Yes the rig parks on the roadway, yes it is used to advise traffic. Even if that purpose isn't served, it serves as an amber warning light.

helicopper likes this

May or may not be a stupid question, but I have never seen someone answer it before..

On the back of most newer/slightly older engines, rescues, etc, theres a traffic advisor(arrowstick). I have never really seen an engine park in the middle of the road and turn that on to direct traffic elsewhere, So, is there a different purpose for these?

And on the new engines, Mostly all of them have those very BRIGHT Chevrons on them, why would they spend the money to buy a arrowstick for the back of it? With the chevrons, nobody's not going to see it...

Thanks for the info.

(This thread is not to start a debate about money spending or why they're on chief vehicles, just wondering why they're on rigs that really don't need them..)

I invite you to check out the Elightbars Forums, they answer and debate these questions all the time. Since they are ususlly misused, they don't do much purpose, IMO. But they do look cool!

Edited by firedude
Pagers likes this

The traffic advisor lights are intended for what you would think. A means of giving traffic a heads up as to which direction to pass. You are right that there are many places that dont use it for some reason or another. The reflective chevrons are a safety feature especially at night. Granted trucks have emergency lighing, but having the highly reflective chevrons on the back (and some rigs have the front bumper) allows for traffic comng from the rear of the unit to better see it. Usually the back of the truck isn't as well lit as the front. Chevrons have also become an NFPA standard...and i believe the directional lights have too. Im not 100% on that.

I have always felt traffic advisors were useless. They offer a false sense of security. While some sharp eyed motorists may discern the intended pattern, the vast majority of motorists see nothing but randomly flashing lights. If you are operating on a scene and depending heavily on motorists (even well intentioned, law abiding motorists) to understand the flash patterns, I think your asking for trouble.

antiquefirelt and x4093k like this

I agree...most areas dont use them at all and just leave them in the "random" flash pattern. Even when they are used properly, often there are too many other warning lights which blur out the directional light. I do think that they put a good source of amber light right at eye level for drivers, to differentiate from red warning lights which can be confused with brake lights. For this purpose, arrow sticks function well.

87D124 and x4093k like this

The highway construction and repair industry has been doing this far safer for as long as we've been operating on the roads. We need to take out cues from them. Clear but not blinding lighting. Separation between reflective and powered warnings. Protection lanes and vehciles while operating in traffic.

antiquefirelt and helicopper like this

The main problem with these is that they do not get used on a REGULAR BASIS by most departments. Rigs get parked and the TA's left on random/flash pattern, and the MAIN problem, is the half dozen OTHER warning lights surrounding the TA. Well of course, its impossible to discern a pattern/directional with 6 other LEDs/strobes flashing around it. It is overwhelming to the human eye.

For proper use, other warning around them must be turned OFF, and allow them to do their function!!

I am a believer in their PROPER use.

The highway construction and repair industry has been doing this far safer for as long as we've been operating on the roads. We need to take out cues from them. Clear but not blinding lighting. Separation between reflective and powered warnings. Protection lanes and vehciles while operating in traffic.

Very true. Look at what a lot of these agency types use. Maybe one warning beacon up front, and JUST a Traffic Advisor to the rear. SIMPLICITY!!!!

Most modern rigs have the ability to have warning lights turn off when parking break is applied. Around where I am from (Columbus OH) all of the medics automatically have all but two warning lights on each side shut off, and the ones that remain on switch to a slower pattern. If larger pieces of apparatus could have this setup, the TA to the rear would always be more visible, and more easily understood.

Most modern rigs have the ability to have warning lights turn off when parking break is applied. Around where I am from (Columbus OH) all of the medics automatically have all but two warning lights on each side shut off, and the ones that remain on switch to a slower pattern. If larger pieces of apparatus could have this setup, the TA to the rear would always be more visible, and more easily understood.

Unfortunately, the mindset out there is that "more is better".