Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Lottery for ParaTransit Buses

14 posts in this topic

Westchester Offers To Sell Used Buses To Municipalities For A Buck

Westchester is “recycling” its old buses to help stretch taxpayers dollars.

County Executive Robert P. Astorino said municipal governments and boards, fire districts and school districts are invited to enter a lottery offering ParaTransit buses for $1. Lottery winners are required to use the vehicles in a way that benefits Westchester County residents

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/lottery

Full Patch Article

Application

x635 likes this

These buses are great as Rehab units. DES has a lot of scene support units, but do they have vehicles specifically for responder rehab that is enclosed so that it is out of the weather elements? Three of these buses could could cover north, central, and south at a bargain price.

I don't know if these buses are maintained by Bee-Line mechanics as well, but if they were then they usually are in great shape.

I don't know if these buses are maintained by Bee-Line mechanics as well, but if they were then they usually are in great shape.

They were.

They were.

Which brings me to my next question. Where do the regular transit buses go at the end of their Bee Line life? Those would be even better for rehab.

Which brings me to my next question. Where do the regular transit buses go at the end of their Bee Line life? Those would be even better for rehab.

I have seen them on http://www.auctionsinternational.com/index.htm a lot! However, I guess they are beaten to death and then used for parts since they are listed as "do not start or run". The photos that come with the listing also show them in terrible shape.

Full size Bee-Line buses that have been retired from service are auctioned and sold. The last buses replaced, 1994-95 bstandard size (40 foot) buses were sold to the MTA.

I have seen them on http://www.auctionsi...l.com/index.htm a lot! However, I guess they are beaten to death and then used for parts since they are listed as "do not start or run". The photos that come with the listing also show them in terrible shape.

The retired paratransit vans are not "beaten to death." They are not canalbolized for parts.

The vans have accumulated several hundred thousand miles and are no longer cost effective to maintain in regular service. The ones available for the van giveaway program are the best of the vehicles retired.

BigBuff likes this

All you have to do is call . Had one at the Port Chester 4th alarm last year with driver in less then 1/2 hour.

All you have to do is call . Had one at the Port Chester 4th alarm last year with driver in less then 1/2 hour.

Depends on what time of day, from what I remember. This is several years ago, but I remember calling for a Bee-Line bus at 2AM once and none were on the road and no drivers on the clock.

It would be nice, though, if these buses were already equipped with Rehab stuff, bathroom, medical supplies, retractable awning, generator, light tower, etc.

I know Put Lake got a HART bus donated to use as their "MERV" or rehab unit. Not a bad way for a department to pick up a unit like that.

Why don't they donate the ones thats in the worst condition to one of the local FD's so they can train off of it. For example: Like Kyle said above, one thats listed as "do not start, etc" take the good parts out, and let FD light it on fire (or anything else) and train off of it. One like that with just seats/body on it will probably just be junked, why not use it to train?

Not to start any debate anything, just my thoughts..

Edited by x4093k
BigBuff likes this

Somers FD has a used Heritage Hills Bus for its rehab unit seems like a similar set up..

Utility 88

IMAG0049.jpg

firedude likes this

Why don't they donate the ones thats in the worst condition to one of the local FD's so they can train off of it. For example: Like Kyle said above, one thats listed as "do not start, etc" take the good parts out, and let FD light it on fire (or anything else) and train off of it. One like that with just seats/body on it will probably just be junked, why not use it to train?

Not to start any debate anything, just my thoughts..

Enter the lottery and do just that.