Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moggie6

Anyone ever do a buff trip to Detroit?

5 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone here has ever done a trip out to Detroit to take photo's of fires etc. If you did how were you received. Seems to be a common practice out there..and how were the men and women of the Detroit Fire Department? Were they friendly or just didn't want to be bothered?

sfrd18 likes this

I cannot speak for myself, but I'm sure there's got to be a few people on here that have buffed Motown.

In the mid 70's I traveled around the country visiting major university and corporate research facilities. I spent my down time at the local firehouses. Report from Engine 82 was out and buffing was big. I would drop in at a station, identify myself as an officer of my engine company in Westchester County, the immediate County north of New York City, and you were a most welcome guest. At most stations I was allowed to ride along. Cleveland, Columbus, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Salt Lake, San Francisco, LA, Houston, San Antonio, Miami, Denver and many more. I did this for a couple of years so I got to visit the same stations repeatedly.

That was a long time ago though and the fire service was much different than today. I doubt the flexibility afforded to me then would be available in todays more strictly regulated departments. I will still stop into a station I come across from time to time and I have always found the firefighters to be friendly and anxious to show off their stations and equipment. Once though they actually made a photocopy of my DL and FD ID, post 9-11 before letting me tour the station.

Wherever I went, everyone was friendly and you could pick up a lot of knowledge listening to their stories and observing their methods.

Check with Danny "Detroit" Alfonso in FDNY E-75. He has spent a lot of time in motown and has the photos/stories to prove it!

RR - check with the guys on www.firepics.net - ALOT of them go and can offer great advice, incuding where to "stage" so you can hit the different areas fast.