Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1977 Mack CF

12 posts in this topic

This 1977 Mack CF was one of twins that were front line rigs for the City of Sanford, NC back in the day. The other one was auctioned off last year. This one is sitting up at the city garage and will be auctioned also. If anyone is interested Check GovDeals.com on or after 6/4/12. The garage foreman told me they ran numerous tests on her and she runs and pumps great.

These photos were taken by me 5/17/12.

Sorry I'm not sure how to chop photos.

post-2533-0-60803300-1337267248.jpg

post-2533-0-60402500-1337267262.jpg

post-2533-0-49817200-1337267278.jpg

post-2533-0-71848000-1337267302.jpg

post-2533-0-96822100-1337267321.jpg

post-2533-0-53456700-1337267345.jpg

post-2533-0-58222000-1337267364.jpg

post-2533-0-38551200-1337267445.jpg

post-2533-0-50933900-1337267478.jpg

post-2533-0-19064800-1337267498.jpg

Edited by 210
sfrd18 and efdcapt115 like this

Wow, beautiful looking rig. Maybe a department will buy it and use it as a rig for their department....:P

Thanks for sharing.

sfrd18 likes this

She looks like she's in decent shape

Manual transmission! That's gotta be rare for a CF Mack. Anybody else ever seen that?

Manual transmission! That's gotta be rare for a CF Mack. Anybody else ever seen that?

Very common in the early CFs 1968 on but mid 70s most were getting autos Port Chester bought a 1970 CF from Pierce X Mount Kisco until the new rig was ready . The youngsters had a time with it, but us old farts would show off and not even use the clutch !
sfrd18, MoFire390 and efdcapt115 like this

Very common in the early CFs 1968 on but mid 70s most were getting autos Port Chester bought a 1970 CF from Pierce X Mount Kisco until the new rig was ready . The youngsters had a time with it, but us old farts would show off and not even use the clutch !

We had a mid-fifties ALF pumper with a three speed and gas motor. Most could drive it, but throw it in pump.....under the pressures of a working fire, now there was the challenge (not that I ever did it, it was a spare and we used it "sparingly"). But I used to think about the old timers and the fact that for EVERY rig they drove they had to master the art of PTO transfer with a manual shift. That was a savvy part of the craft of earlier firefighting, completely lost and forgotten with today's apparatus.

MoFire390 likes this

A nice, classic Mack CF. I honestly don't think I've ever seen one like it with a manual transmittion before. Must have been cool to drive it around to jobs.

efdcapt115 likes this

A nice, classic Mack CF. I honestly don't think I've ever seen one like it with a manual transmittion before. Must have been cool to drive it around to jobs.

The body looks pretty good. I'm thinking the rear half of the rig is rebuilt. Faded cab in comparison to the brighter boxes. But I noticed the diamond plate under the pump panel is rotted through. Must have seen enough hours of pumping to do that. Twin Boosters. Bring back the booster line!

Okay I'll take it.

210 likes this

The body looks pretty good. I'm thinking the rear half of the rig is rebuilt. Faded cab in comparison to the brighter boxes. But I noticed the diamond plate under the pump panel is rotted through. Must have seen enough hours of pumping to do that. Twin Boosters. Bring back the booster line!

Okay I'll take it.

Yeah, it sure looks like it's seen plenty of action. Personally, I think the fact that it's got the booster would win me over if I had the money. :lol:

True booster line story. Reported smoke in the bathroom of a private dwelling. The duty officer calls for one engine and the car. I have the pleasure of driving the officer this sunny day. Upon arrival Engine 29's one firefighter finds fire in the wall of the bathroom caused by a plumber soldering. E-29-One is on scene for a couple of minutes by himself, and his old schooling of minimal staffed jobbing; he stretches the booster.

So we roll up, I take a haligan, officer takes a light and radio, I am ordered to break down a ceramic tiled bathtub wall, starting at the brass fixtures. "Was he having a bad day?" I thought about my boss as the three of us dealt with a working house fire. And no calls for additional help. Not even for overhaul. (I found out later he and the other firefighter had a lovely relationship with a lengthy history)

Ah the magical power of the booster line! I was just "probie Do", but I learned a lot of lessons about the job, no longer naive about how things could fester on the job. Yeah, they were a tough bunch at times.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Mack CF. How about the twin 24's? Do they come with her as well? Hmm? lol

sfrd18 and PCFD ENG58 like this