Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rayrider

Very busy last two months in the Yo!

5 posts in this topic

I was browsing thru my red alert and calculated 20 structure fires since 3/23. Five were 2nd alarms and one was a 3rd. Five of the days had multiple jobs going on. It wouldn't surprise me if we still get cut. They just dont care!

BFD1054, x129K, sfrd18 and 1 other like this

I was speaking with someone about that very topic yesterday. It's truly pathetic that the budget games continue and the PD and FD are only pawns.

BFD1054, tglass59, sfrd18 and 1 other like this

Increased workloads mean nothing to the pencil pushers. Personal goals / pet projects usually trump the public's safety. It's a real shame.

BFD1054, BBBMF and tglass59 like this

It's going to be interesting the next cupple of months in the city of yonkers with budget issues I think..

I saw this in an email I got from my union. I don't live in Yonkers - but this is a mistake. From what I listen to on the scanner in Yonkers, removing FD First Response is a bad, BAD idea, as is closing companies and/or stations.

Hopefully it doesn't happen!

As you may or may not be aware of, there is a proposed City budget that will be detrimental to the well being of all Yonkers residents by calling for major cuts to the Yonkers Fire Department.

At this time, the Mayor of Yonkers has proposed a budget that will dramatically impact you and your loved ones, as well as the Yonkers Fire Department. These cuts include eliminating Fire Department response to all medical emergencies, reducing the number of firefighters on a daily basis and closing fire companies and potentially firehouses. Not only will these cuts have a huge impact on the safety of you and your loved ones, but it will also jeopardize the health and safety of your Yonkers Firefighters.

If these cuts occur, there will literally be NO RESPONSE by firefighters to any medical calls delaying the immediate care that you or your loved one may need. Critical minutes will pass before a patient receives emergency medical care including CPR and the application of an automated external defibrillator (AED). Furthermore, there will be an increase in response times to fires and other emergencies, due to less available fire companies and firefighters responding from further away.

This budget is now before the YonkersCityCouncil. The City Council will be holding a public budget hearing on Tuesday, May 29 at 7pm in the City Council Chambers at City Hall. At this hearing, anyone will have the opportunity to speak. We are asking that you please attend this hearing and speak out against these cuts to our lives, safety and property. Tell the City “NO” to any cuts to the fire department and request the City to protect your life and those of the Yonkers Firefighters.

PLEASE CONTACT THE MAYOR & CITY COUNCIL

SAY NO TO CUTS TO THE YONKERS FIRE DEPARTMENT

Mayor Mike Spano 914-377-6300 mike.spano@YonkersNY.gov

Council President Chuck Lesnick 914-377-6060 chuck.lesnick@YonkersNY.gov

Christopher Johnson Dist. 1 914-377-6311 christopher.johnson@YonkersNY.gov

Wilson Terrero Dist. 2 914-377-6312 wilson.terrero@YonkersNY.gov

Michael Sabatino Dist. 3 914-377-6313 michael.sabatino@YonkersNY.gov

Dennis Shepherd Dist. 4 914-377-6314 dennis.shepherd@YonkersNY.gov

Mike Breen Dist. 5 914-377-6315 mike.breen@YonkersNY.gov

John Larkin Dist. 6 914-377-6316 john.larkin@YonkersNY.gov