Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

California Highway Patrol Wants To Switch To All SUVs

5 posts in this topic

Very Interesting!

The California Highway Patrol Wants To Switch To SUVs

Faced with the eventual phasing out of Ford's legendary Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, the California Highway Patrol is interested in replacing the aging cruisers with an interceptor version of the Ford Explorer. Officials said that newer sedans like the Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Caprice are too small.

Full Article: The California Highway Patrol Wants To Switch To SUVs

That's pretty cool! I know a lot of agencies are switching to SUV's, there's really no price or gas difference, plus there is more room for storage of gear, and gives the officer a better point of view then a sedan, from what I'm toold

I was just watching something on TV where the new cars go through an "assembly line" at the CHP Main shops, and get lights,radios,lettering and all the other stuff. It's a really cool facility.

They have a lot of influence- could start a trend

Speaking from experience in an agency that has converted half the fleet to SUV's, they have legitimate limitations. At high speeds, especially on the highways where CHP spends much of their time like we do, they do get somewhat unstable.

California is broke, can't afford the gas for SUV's. They should all be driving Prius vehicles to save the gas money and bow to the demands of the California elites that want to avert climate change. Good luck with that. Besides, you don't need that much room anyway. In NY when was the last time you saw a 225#, 6'2" State Trooper? Only if its a guy with 25 or 30 years in and about to retire because 30 years ago that's all they hired.