Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfirefighter484x

Dutchess Co. Airport (KPOU) 92-11 (Rescue 1) 6/2/12

6 posts in this topic

How is this apparatus manned?

As Far As I Know It Is Paid Firefighters With Aircraft Certification And Mutual Aid Is The New Hackensack Fire Department For Any Emergency.

Thomas

As Far As I Know It Is Paid Firefighters With Aircraft Certification And Mutual Aid Is The New Hackensack Fire Department For Any Emergency.

Thomas

Not exactly! The Crash Truck is "unmanned" per se. The Line Service personnel (or at least some of them) are the ones that will take the vehicle in the event of an emergency, the same way a volunteer would stop their activity and respond to a station and pick up a rig, these guys do the same with the crash truck.

Also, for all emergencies on the airport, New Hackensack FD and/or Town of Wappinger Ambulance is dispatched.

Here is an old Exam Announcement for the job class:

http://www.dutchessn....aspx?keyid=866

LINE SERVICE ATTENDANT Dutchess County Department Of: Public Works – Airport Division $31,470.00

This is a non-competitive position at the Dutchess County Airport. This position involves responsibility for fueling services of aircraft as well as minor unskilled grounds, building and equipment maintenance activities. In addition, an employee in this class is required to train and participate in Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) operations. Work is performed under the general supervision of a higher level employee. Supervision of others is not a normal function of the class.

Typical Work Activities: Services aircraft in accordance with pilot's instructions, including fueling, checking and adding oil, and cleaning windshields; Collects fuel and oil charges and maintains sales records; Collects landing and transient tie down fees and instructs transient pilots where to park; Inspects fuel farm and checks fuel for contaminants; Performs unskilled maintenance in the fueling area including painting, mowing lawns and cleaning; Participates in snow and ice control activities; Participates in Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) activities including operation of ARFF vehicle, fighting fires, rescue of persons trapped in aircraft when accompanied by at least one other trained employee or outside fire rescue personnel and assisting in rendering emergency first aid treatment; Provides information, pick up and drop off service to pilots; Operates a variety of motor vehicles including, but not limited to, fuel trucks, ARFF vehicle, and small snowplows; Performs airport inspections and issues orders to reopen airport following an emergency situation in the absence of higher authority; May make minor maintenance checks and repairs to fuel trucks and fueling equipment; May assist with other maintenance duties associated with general airport operations; Does related work as required.

Minimum Qualifications: None

Special Requirements: Eligibility for a New York State Driver's License at time of application. Possession of license at time of appointment.

Special Note: N/A

Posted: 12/11/06

A couple years back ('08) after coming back from a flight with a family friend they had a response drill with the old crash truck, and I caught some of it on camera. I stopped filming before the opened up the turrets and emptied the tank, sadly because I was not anticipating them doing so!!!

JetPhoto likes this

When I took my ARFF class we went to the airport and I was fortunate enough to ride in the old truck as we went down the runway and opened the turrets, that was a fast truck.

The line service employees are required to be manned & capable of reaching the other side of the airport within a certain amount of time. These are standards required by the FAA.

x129K likes this